No motivation to eat

Options
A few days ago now I had 2 tooth extractions, and it's left me with quite a lot of aches and pains. Throughout the time that I've had them extracted, I've had little motivation to eat anything.

Yesterday, I went all day (without any feeling of hunger) until about 6pm when I was forced by my sister to eat something, so I had a small portion of Mac'n'Cheese. I'm just worried that I may get food stuck in the hole where my tooth was, and then developing an infection and so on. I'm still in the process of wanting to loose over 40lbs more than I have already, and I don't necessarily think that eating as little as I am, is as bad as some cases, but I KNOW it's not a healthy way to do so.

The extractions will be followed by three more next week, so I would need some advice which I can follow on with. These operations are to make way for braces that will be fitted in January, which should overall contribute to helping me shed some more weight considering I am forbidden to eat chewy candy, soda etc (not that I do much anyway).

Does anybody have any advice? I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to keep up this habit, because then I will be loosing weight for all the wrong reasons.

Replies

• z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense food like nuts
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    for a start i would stay well away from sweets, fizzy drinks and all of that and never touch it for a long time!! Try something like home made cabbage soup, its supposed to help with weight loss because your body actually uses cals to break down this type of soup so you can have some when you like and not need to worry. Look it up 'cabbage soup diet' stay away from bread its full of sugar also. Ive not made it myself yet but i will be giving it a try. ;)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4772/potato-and-savoy-cabbage-soup-with-bacon

looks nice to me
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First of all, ignore steve098, that is the worst advice ever! It doesn't matter if you are overweight or not, you need to eat.

Try eat soft foods like boiled vegetables and pasta. Soup would also be good. You could make any soup and then blend all the ingredients together so it's smooth with no chunks. Eggs are soft and don't require much chewing and you can cook them a whole lot of different ways so you won't get bored.

Or if it's not too painful you could eat what you normally do. I'd suggest avoiding dairy until the wound heals as if that is caught in the wound then it is more likely to cause an infection than if a piece of meat or veg got caught. If you think something may be caught in the wound then wash your mouth out with a mix of salt and warm water.

Try your best to meet your calorie goals as starving your body is not the way to go and could actually prolong the healing of your wounds.
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    for a start i would stay well away from sweets, fizzy drinks and all of that and never touch it for a long time!! Try something like home made cabbage soup, its supposed to help with weight loss because your body actually uses cals to break down this type of soup so you can have some when you like and not need to worry. Look it up 'cabbage soup diet' stay away from bread its full of sugar also. Ive not made it myself yet but i will be giving it a try. ;)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4772/potato-and-savoy-cabbage-soup-with-bacon

looks nice to me

Thank you.

I've just taken a look at that recipe and I will definitely give it a try. I did try to cut bread out of my diet, but it only lasted a few days whereby I found myself with little energy and constantly feeling faint...which does sound a bit dramatic - but I used to eat some form of bread every day for carbs.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    First of all, ignore steve098, that is the worst advice ever! It doesn't matter if you are overweight or not, you need to eat.

Try eat soft foods like boiled vegetables and pasta. Soup would also be good. You could make any soup and then blend all the ingredients together so it's smooth with no chunks. Eggs are soft and don't require much chewing and you can cook them a whole lot of different ways so you won't get bored.

Or if it's not too painful you could eat what you normally do. I'd suggest avoiding dairy until the wound heals as if that is caught in the wound then it is more likely to cause an infection than if a piece of meat or veg got caught. If you think something may be caught in the wound then wash your mouth out with a mix of salt and warm water.

Try your best to meet your calorie goals as starving your body is not the way to go and could actually prolong the healing of your wounds.

Perfect, thank you. Yes,having looked at the wound now, I see thing which are white/cream coloured within the wound itself (after having washed with warm salt water). I'm not sure if this is embedded food or not, or maybe it's white blood cells/scar tissue attempting to repair the hole. Either way, I'm trying to forget about it and should anything occur, I'll take it to the dentist again. I really appreciate the help - some interesting facts and information here - so thank you!
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi hun. I had my wisdom teeth out a couple weeks ago plus a front canine extracted and so I didn't have much of an appetite myself. I ate soup from panera bread like every day though. I found it in the grocery store and also went there a few times just to get out. Try not to worry right now ok? This'll pass and things will get back to normal in due time but for now eat whatever sounds good that's soft and what not. Soup, mac n cheese, whatev. Good luck with your next operation!
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i would just get rid of bread completely thats what im going to do as all bread is pretty much bad, once you get used to not having it around you will get used to it.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Perfect, thank you. Yes,having looked at the wound now, I see thing which are white/cream coloured within the wound itself (after having washed with warm salt water). I'm not sure if this is embedded food or not, or maybe it's white blood cells/scar tissue attempting to repair the hole. Either way, I'm trying to forget about it and should anything occur, I'll take it to the dentist again. I really appreciate the help - some interesting facts and information here - so thank you!

That sounds like the wound is healing and I wouldn't worry about it unless it turned green. Don't be afraid to eat! Our mouths naturally contain good bacteria that will fight off infection in the wound.

No problem, good luck with the next lot of extractions!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when my husband had his wisdoms extracted, he had lots of slim fast shakes, scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes i made with extra milk so they were softer than normal. he would then gently rinse his mouth with warm salt water, as per his oral surgeon.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please remember our salver has its own antiseptic, so each time you swallow you are moving it round your mouth and this is bathing the wound. I understand your concerns food staying in the wound after eating something you could rinse (and swallow) with fresh water after. It will get easier. Try a little food more often. Take care
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Do pay attention if your mouth starts to taste funny, though. My wisdom teeth were infected for almost a week before I went back for help because I didn't "see" an infection, but I did notice that something just tasted "off" - and that was infection.

That said, I second all the recommendations for soups, soft foods and even protein shakes or smoothies (try adding some greens and maybe almond milk so it's not just a giant sugar bomb). Wishing you speedy healing!
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ....soft stuff
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! Don't forget to add protein!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

The white stuff is like a scab, try not to mess with it, it will slow down recovery if you dislodge it.
    Soft foods that require little or no chewing. Nut butters and yogurt are good for protien, soft cooked or mashed veggies for fiber to help you feel full. Meal replacements shakes are also good. Stay away from drinking through a straw, as that can dislodge the "scab". Hope your recovery goes well. I had a tough extraction a couple years ago, that took weeks to recover from
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Having a lower caloric intake briefly for medical reasons will not have that much of an effect on whatever your goals are. My advice, listen to your body and stock up soup and yogurt.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! Don't forget to add protein!

and do NOT use a straw, sip. Sucking movement is not good for healing extraction area.

I drank Coco Libre protein coconut water when I was having eating issues. Delish and 20 g protein as well as other beneficial things
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense food like nuts

What?

If you are overweight, don't force yourself to eat.

Keep hydrated, of course, but you have PLENTY of stored energy on board in the form of glycogen and fat. In fact, you can likely go for a couple of weeks easy just drinking water and be none-the-worse-off for it except a lot of your fat will be burned off.

OP didn't even say that he was overweight.
    His profile says he's got 40 pounds to go.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies. Something yummy.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Do pay attention if your mouth starts to taste funny, though. My wisdom teeth were infected for almost a week before I went back for help because I didn't "see" an infection, but I did notice that something just tasted "off" - and that was infection.

That said, I second all the recommendations for soups, soft foods and even protein shakes or smoothies (try adding some greens and maybe almond milk so it's not just a giant sugar bomb). Wishing you speedy healing!

Thanks for pointing this out. I have been tasting something funny, though I didn't know whether it may have been salt residue from when I have been rinsing..since it's day three I figured an infection would be unrealistic as it's so soon.

Thank you for the best wishes! :)