AMAZING Treadmill Workout!

Options
I’m an outdoor runner – but when ice plasters the pavement, I move indoors. I alternate between the indoor track and the treadmill, but I had never utilized the “incline” feature before. Yesterday I tried a workout I found on Running Times and it is FAR too amazing not to pass along!

It can be found here: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15260
(Refresh the page to make the advertisement go away.)

It’s the Pyramid Workout.

Workout: The Pyramid

Set 1: steady pace 1 minute each @ 4, 5 and 6 percent incline
2-3 minutes recovery @ flat jog

Set 2: steady pace 1 minute each @ 5, 6 and 7 percent incline

Set 3: steady pace 1 minute each @ 6, 7 and 8 percent incline

Set 4: steady pace 1 minute each @ 7, 6 and 5 percent incline

Set 5: steady pace 1 minute each @ 6, 5 and 4 percent incline

Personally, I did just a short warm-up and cool-down, to keep this around 30 minutes. Also, when I went down from the 8% incline to flat (end of Set 3), I took a 30-second rest when the machine climbed down because I felt like I was going to fall off.

If you have any others you love, please pass them along – I’m always up for a new challenge!

Replies

• Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    PS: The machine said I burned 425 calories in a half an hour :glasses:
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    HOLY CRAP!!! 425 in 30 minutes??? I'm ON IT! Thanks for sharing!
  • purple_power61
    purple_power61 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    thx for posting!:drinker:
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I will definately be trying that one out. I also had a trainer give me a good treadmill workout before my running days. Kind of the same idea, starting at an incline of 1 for two minutes and then increasing the incline every two minutes until you are up to and have completed two minutes at an incline of 10. Then move the incline back down one setting every minute until you are back to flat ground. I do this at a speed of 3.5 but you can do whatever a fast paced walk for you. This is also about a 30 minute workout.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bumping for later - will have to have a crack at this over the weekend, thank you.
  • Rachaely
    Options
    Sounds great! I will definately be trying that one out. I also had a trainer give me a good treadmill workout before my running days. Kind of the same idea, starting at an incline of 1 for two minutes and then increasing the incline every two minutes until you are up to and have completed two minutes at an incline of 10. Then move the incline back down one setting every minute until you are back to flat ground. I do this at a speed of 3.5 but you can do whatever a fast paced walk for you. This is also about a 30 minute workout.

Sounds awesome! I was running between 7-6.7 for speed (running about 8:45-9:10 pace) so it was a killer!
  • LaurieKPhoto1972
    Options
    This sounds like a GREAT idea. I am thinking for those of us who are WAY out of shape and just coming out of a sedentary lifestyle could maybe tailor it a bit? I think for me if I started at 1 and did 2 minutes at each stage until I got up to 5 and then went back down, that would be a really good work out for me. I would then probably walk flat until I reached 30 minutes.

LOVE the ideas on the forum!
  • Rachaely
    Options
    This sounds like a GREAT idea. I am thinking for those of us who are WAY out of shape and just coming out of a sedentary lifestyle could maybe tailor it a bit? I think for me if I started at 1 and did 2 minutes at each stage until I got up to 5 and then went back down, that would be a really good work out for me. I would then probably walk flat until I reached 30 minutes.

LOVE the ideas on the forum!

Absolutely! That's what's great about this workout is that you can definitely tailor it to your fitness level. You could walk this workout instead of run, or you could decrease the resistance (or increase)! I just loved it. And hated it at the same time of course! :)
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well its the weekend now (at least for us downunder) so had a crack at it. I did this at a 9kph pace for both incline and recovery sets (just under 6mph) to compare it to a regular jogging treadmill workout...here's the results:

Regular 9kph Run
    34 minutes / 5km - 480 calories

Regular 12kph Run
    25 minutes / 5km - 550 calories

Pyramid 9kph
    34 minutes / 5km - 530 calories

Whilst it was more challenging compared to a straight 9kph run - it was much more interesting and I found it easier than a regular 12kph run with similar calorie burns.
  • sare26
    sare26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks! I am going to give this a go tomorrow - anything to make the treadmill more interesting - oh and burn calories quicker!!
  • Rachaely
    Options
    Well its the weekend now (at least for us downunder) so had a crack at it. I did this at a 9kph pace for both incline and recovery sets (just under 6mph) to compare it to a regular jogging treadmill workout...here's the results:

Regular 9kph Run
    34 minutes / 5km - 480 calories

Regular 12kph Run
    25 minutes / 5km - 550 calories

Pyramid 9kph
    34 minutes / 5km - 530 calories

Whilst it was more challenging compared to a straight 9kph run - it was much more interesting and I found it easier than a regular 12kph run with similar calorie burns.

That's my problem; I KNOW I can run faster, but I get bored. I'd rather be playing with the incline or speed or some type of variation to keep myself interested. It makes the time go by faster, versus just running a straight run. Glad you gave it a try!
  • redruthie
    Options
    WOWSA! I'll be trying this one out later today on my treadmill. I get bored on it so fast, so let's see how this goes for me. Thanks for posting :)
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Trying this tomorrow morning!
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will definitely need to try that one.
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I will be checking that out tomorrow!
    thanks for the post!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I may have to check this out on Monday. Thxs.
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting...I will do this later today. I need to get a running workout in today.

So the recover time is after all 3 levels have been done and not inbetween each incline correct??

thanks again!
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    That's my problem; I KNOW I can run faster, but I get bored. I'd rather be playing with the incline or speed or some type of variation to keep myself interested. It makes the time go by faster, versus just running a straight run. Glad you gave it a try!

[/quote]

I feel the same way!!
  • kkwellness
    kkwellness Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What speed on you doing the treadmill at- is it a run or walk
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    I did it just a little bit ago and ran at a 10min pace throughout the entire thing. Was a good workout!! thanks again!