Gym Newbie

Options
Hey everyone! I just joined a gym last night. Where can I get some sort of routine information? I want to max sure I maximize my gym time :)

Replies

• sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    At the gym did you have a induction session to show you how to use the equipment etc - when I joined mine I had an hour where I was shown the equipment and a plan was drawn up with me for the first 12 weeks.
  • damejennifer
    Options
    No unfortunately not.
  • dmburke11
    Options
    One thing I would suggest, that may run contrary to most, is to not go all-out right away. If you haven't worked out in a long time, you'll be putting your ligaments, muscles, etc at risk of injury if you put too much stress on them before they are ready.

I know most people are excited to get in the gym and really get a great workout. But you need to pace yourself. I've had trainers that wanted to make sure I knew that they would give me a full workout, but my body wasn't ready for it.

Find a routine that is right for you that progressively gets harder over the course of weeks and months. I agree - see a trainer, but make sure you tell them if you haven't worked out in a long time and want to avoid injury risk.
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    What equipment does the gym have ? What is your level of fitness ?

Is there someone at the gym who can help you out ?
  • LoveLaughLive1
    LoveLaughLive1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I signed up for a gym this week too! I made an appointment with a personal trainer and he drew up a plan for me to strengthen some of my weakest assets (core mostly). You don't have to pay money though to get a really good work out plan though! In the past, I went to this website and it has some AWESOME workouts that will whip you into shape and give you some ideas on how to use that crazy equipment.

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/bikini-body-countdown

There are loads of workout tips on this site, but this regimen is a 5 month plan that promises to get you into your best bikini body. Every month it changes the workout, increasing the intensity.

I hope that this helps!!
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    I would start with an eliptical and treadmill combo. Those are easy and pretty self explanatory. Perhaps try working out by running/walking fast for 30 min. then 20 on the eliptical or even stationary bike. Something like that...You can then get comfortable and start adding in strength exercises like crunches, lunges, shoulder work. You can google proper form. If your new though keep it simple, you don't need to do a million things to get a good workout, just even hitting the treadmill will make you sweat.
  • damejennifer
    Options
    Thank guys! I also want to start strength training as well. I use to go to the gym alot a few years ago but I got lazy LOL
  • marygillman
    marygillman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining a gym! One website that I love is GetFit.com. It costs $10/month but it has thousands of exercises in its database along with hundreds of routines for beginner / intermediate / advanced. I love it because it keeps me motivated with different routines, will automatically increase the weight/reps I should be doing, has video to show correct form, allows me to see how often I'm hitting the gym and all kinds of metrics re: calories burned, weight lifted, etc. I could go on! I wasn't able to attach a screen shot of my dashboard but would be happy to send in a direct e-mail if you're interested.