For the ladies...Weight Gain and your period?

Options
Hi ladies-

I'm trying not to get discouraged! Over the last 3 weeks, I've lost almost 3 pounds. Now it's that time of the month (starting today) and I feel like I made a mistake by weighing in. It says that I've gained back those 3 pounds and then some! I only had 3 gym days as opposed to 4 last week, but I've been pretty good with keeping at or below my calorie goal.

How much weight do we gain around that time of the month? Please tell me I can chalk this up to my period!

Replies

• StPattysGrl
    Options
    Yes, you can! I always gain a couple pounds right as I'm headed into my period.... but I always loose that plus some by the time it's done... so I'm back to where I was plus even having lost some (that is if I stick with staying under cals during my period).
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    it is purely bloat DO NOT freak out.

I gain anywhere from 3-5lbs for the first 48-72 hours of my monthly curse.

Drink lots of water and stay away from the scale for a few days :heart:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Anything up to 7lbs could be water weight, so don't stress! I typically gain 2-4 lbs and the it goes within a couple of days of the end of my period.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    That is all it is! Just keep going and stay away from the scale. Once it is over you will be thrilled to see it is all gone PLUS MORE!
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Mine just started yesterday and i've gone up to 178 again. It's really annoying me as i've been battling between 176 and 178 for the past 2 months now!
  • Paccie
    Paccie Posts: 47
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing cause I too am on my cycle. Thanks for all the replies, they helped me to reassure myself.:flowerforyou:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My Mirena has all but stopped my periods now but from tracking in the past it really does happen. Usually 2 or 3 pounds but it does go.
  • rachswann
    rachswann Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weigh myself the week before or the week during my period! I always gain a few lbs. around that time & feel like a cow. I try to drink lots of water to get rid of the fluid tension I tend to keep. Good Luck!
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I feel SO much better. I'd never weighed myself around that time and probably shouldn't have. Good to know for next time.

Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started this week too and have noticed I haven't lost since last week. Nothing else has changed but getting my period. Been searching for a topic like this, and it's nice to hear that its from bloat/water. Almost made me want to give up. Hopefully by next week I'll see a change.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i hear you! im the same! im due on soon and noticed that ive stayed the same! so will stay away from the scales
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    iv lost 1lb this week and have started my cycle today but will still be weighing next week to see how much i lose or gain but i wont be worried cuz i know that it will be down to TOM.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Definitely I would guess that we gain about a pound if not 2 at least.... I used to forget when my period would be coming around and think that the dryer had shrunk my clothes... For me, it´s usually pre-period...
    In the articles below, it says that people gain 1-4 lbs. It recommends: don´t stop exercising, eat foods that are easier to digest (to avoid more bloating), and it mentions the cravings...
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/weight-gain-during-period.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/weight-gain-during-menstruation/