No motivation to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Is that you in your profile pic? If so, it does not look like you need to lose 40 lb. Drink malts or shakes, scrambled eggs, protein shakes, ice cream, soups of any kind, jello, applesauce, any soft foods would be fine!
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense food like nuts

after having tooth extractions? :noway:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your surgeon about what types of foods to eat after surgery? They should have given you a post op printout.
  • jjdiggy
    jjdiggy Posts: 172
    Options
    Is that you in your profile pic? If so, it does not look like you need to lose 40 lb. Drink malts or shakes, scrambled eggs, protein shakes, ice cream, soups of any kind, jello, applesauce, any soft foods would be fine!

It may not on that picture, but I definitely do! Thank you for all the advice, I'll make sure to keep it on on board. :)
  • jjdiggy
    Options

What?

If you are overweight, don't force yourself to eat.

Keep hydrated, of course, but you have PLENTY of stored energy on board in the form of glycogen and fat. In fact, you can likely go for a couple of weeks easy just drinking water and be none-the-worse-off for it except a lot of your fat will be burned off.

OP didn't even say that he was overweight.
    His profile says he's got 40 pounds to go.

Correct.
  • jjdiggy
    Options

That's what I was going to say! I think the "eat nuts" person missed that part of the post, lol. What I was wondering is, does the op really need to lose 40 more pounds, if that is his current pic on the right?

I knew to avoid that post, hahaha. It just didn't sound sane. I sure do, I know it seems like a lot but my height really spreads it out - the picture on left was when I was only 5ft 9", so there's a 2 inch difference.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Have you talked to your surgeon about what types of foods to eat after surgery? They should have given you a post op printout.

He did not go into much detail regarding what to eat. He did mention yogurts and mashed potato, and the thing he made most clear was "nothing which breaks into small fragments or is sharp), i.e cookies (crumbs) or chips (sharp fragments), meats (mince) or any spicy foods - and try not to eat anything with herbs or seeds as they can become lodged.
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    Smoothies! Don't forget to add protein!

and do NOT use a straw, sip. Sucking movement is not good for healing extraction area.

I drank Coco Libre protein coconut water when I was having eating issues. Delish and 20 g protein as well as other beneficial things

Yes, my dentist mentioned that, regarding straws. I may have to try some of that, I'll see if I can find some!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! Don't forget to add protein!

and do NOT use a straw, sip. Sucking movement is not good for healing extraction area.

I drank Coco Libre protein coconut water when I was having eating issues. Delish and 20 g protein as well as other beneficial things

Yes, my dentist mentioned that, regarding straws. I may have to try some of that, I'll see if I can find some!

My greatest advice is to be sure to eat! It is easy to fall into a pattern of not eating when something like this happens. This is NOT The way to lose weight. You will be losing muscle too. You are a smart guy, just be sure to have as much protein as you can.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They should've given you instructions, like "Do not drink through a straw" and stuff like that. I'm shocked that they didn't. You can always call the office.

You aren't supposed to take anything in for a short bit, then just small sips of liquids. Soft foods for ...I don't remember how long. A day? Two? That's like jello, mashed potatos...some places count scrambled eggs as soft food, but I don't think they are for extractions because little pieces can break off and lodge in the socket.

You get noting small and hard, like chips or nuts or anything that could get stuck in there...I think you're supposed to avoid those until you go back.

I just don't remember. It's been years since mine were pulled. You could probably google it and find good info, but call the office if they gave you nothing. That's ridiculous. You should've gotten verbal AND written instructions.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth taken out, I followed a "strict" diet of smoothies made with Greek yogurt and ice cream for the first week, and soups as well near the end of the week. Use a spoon for everything; do not use a straw, since you can dislodge any blood clots in the extraction points, and get dry socket. Dry socket is the worst thing on the planet regarding dental work, IMHO.

Like Kalikel said, mashed potatoes and jello are also good options as well. Avoid anything hard or that requires a lot of chewing until you're healed up, and contact your doctor for more specific instructions.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

That's what I was going to say! I think the "eat nuts" person missed that part of the post, lol. What I was wondering is, does the op really need to lose 40 more pounds, if that is his current pic on the right?

I knew to avoid that post, hahaha. It just didn't sound sane. I sure do, I know it seems like a lot but my height really spreads it out - the picture on left was when I was only 5ft 9", so there's a 2 inch difference.

Ah. Still growing, and now having teeth out to make room for braces. Are you really 18?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    i would just get rid of bread completely thats what im going to do as all bread is pretty much bad, once you get used to not having it around you will get used to it.

How is "all bread pretty much bad," again??
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth taken out, I followed a "strict" diet of smoothies made with Greek yogurt and ice cream for the first week, and soups as well near the end of the week. Use a spoon for everything; do not use a straw, since you can dislodge any blood clots in the extraction points, and get dry socket. Dry socket is the worst thing on the planet regarding dental work, IMHO.

Like Kalikel said, mashed potatoes and jello are also good options as well. Avoid anything hard or that requires a lot of chewing until you're healed up, and contact your doctor for more specific instructions.

Yes, I've been meaning to invest in some form of smoothie maker for my own sake. Yes, developing a dry socket is what I fear the most. Thanks for the help.
  • jjdiggy
    Options

Ah. Still growing, and now having teeth out to make room for braces. Are you really 18?

The first picture was taken two years ago at my largest...I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to grow 2 inches within that time frame - and there's nothing to suggest I'm younger, simply because I'm having braces fitted at this age. My sister is 22 and was fitted her braces at 19.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The first picture was taken two years ago at my largest...I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to grow 2 inches within that time frame - and there's nothing to suggest I'm younger, simply because I'm having braces fitted at this age. My sister is 22 and was fitted her braces at 19.

Gotcha. I remembered you a bit too late from some of your previous posts. Carry on
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My dentist also suggested baby food when I had my wisdom teeth taken out
  • jjdiggy
    Options
    My dentist also suggested baby food when I had my wisdom teeth taken out

I can't imagine that would be very appetizing, hahaha.