Why does my fat feel like this?

Options
Particularly around the tops of my thighs and top of my arms the fat feels really different. It's gone really lumpy and the lumps feel kind of spaced out. Like loose!? When I press my hand flat against the area it feels like a half empty bag full of marbles, although the lumps don't show at all just to look at.
Is this like some kind of break down of fat, or what?!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know EXACTLY what you're talking about. But my fat on the top of my legs/hips looks different too. I think it's just the effects of fat loss. I'm thinking it's either getting ready to go too, or it's going to be saggy.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I can't find much out about it but from what I've read it's possibly the fat cells breaking down at uneven rates giving the impression of lumps or balls.. Can anybody else confirm that?
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising along with your calorie deficit? Calorie restriction to lose weight without exercise can cause muscle mass to deplete much quicker than fat., up to 30% in some cases. That will cause a lot of loose skin.
  • xmissbehaved56x
    Options
    I had this happen to me in my stomach area when I was doing insanity. It's the "woosh" effect where your fat cells have been emptied and replaced with water/fluid in anticipation for more fat to be stored so that way your body won't need to create new cells. If it feels squishy then you are probably experiencing the same thing. One day soon you will wake up and weigh yourself noticing a few pounds lost overnight maybe even some inches. This is a good thing!
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    I had this happen to me in my stomach area when I was doing insanity. It's the "woosh" effect where your fat cells have been emptied and replaced with water/fluid in anticipation for more fat to be stored so that way your body won't need to create new cells. If it feels squishy then you are probably experiencing the same thing. One day soon you will wake up and weigh yourself noticing a few pounds lost overnight maybe even some inches. This is a good thing!

Ahh, clever. Thanks, it's always good to know exactly why!
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    Are you exercising along with your calorie deficit? Calorie restriction to lose weight without exercise can cause muscle mass to deplete much quicker than fat., up to 30% in some cases. That will cause a lot of loose skin.

Yep I exercise every day. I never used to up until about 5 weeks ago, almost completely stalled on my weight loss for weeks even though I was still in the same deficit as always, and it's only just started to come off a few days ago but it's coming off at quite a quick rate so I guess it's all linked.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Its thought to be an indication that the fat is being depleted from the cells that store it. (See e.g., http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/ )

This is an amusing read, but I also have to say that I've experienced pretty much everything he discusses. If anyone has anything with more research support, I'd be interested and grateful, but this does seem to be what happens.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As I have lost, the fat feels way less tight and more free in there.

But when it gets really, super smooshy, like it's separated from everything else...and just so very, very smooshy (like a baggie half-filled with half-jelled jello), it's time for a whoosh. The whoosh will happen very soon. Then I drop a ton very quickly and it levels off a bit again.

It's a very familiar thing for me. The more I lose, the less it happens, but it still happens.

Smoosh, then whoosh.