Are you doing anything besides counting calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    When I can, I weigh everything I eat and use the diary. When I can't, I don't fret.
    I try to hit my calorie goal, if not exactly, I want to be in the "ballpark". I can look to the whole week as well.
    I try to get around 20% protein, and strive for same amount of fat and protein.
    I'm not very fond of bread, and it's high in calories, so I don't eat it regularly. Same for baked goods generally, except crispbread, which I eat daily. Rice, potatoes, pasta - I always eat some starch with dinner.
    I try to eat three servings of fruit and five servings of vegetables, and some nuts, every day.
    I prefer to base my intake on whole foods and do my own cooking.
    I don't try to steer away from natural, fatty foods.
    I usually eat five meals a day, two of them are usually some sort of "healthy comfort food" - smoothie, yogurt, nuts, honey, fruit, ham, cheese.
    I limit the intake of "true" junk food; I've discovered that some things aren't worth the calories, but there are certain things I'll never give up.
    I try to be frugal and keep waste to a minimum, and most frequently choose the cheaper alternatives from each food group.
  • gratitudelife
    gratitudelife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't counted calories for weight loss in many years... done a ton of other (some controversial) methods and just can't stick with anything that restricts certain foods... The most successful I've ever been at weight loss was in high school when I counted calories. Go figure... LOL Here I am at age 38, full circle. One small difference, the food I prepare at home is primarily organic whole foods. Treats and eating out I don't worry about it so much... Probably a 50/50 split... I just like the flavour of organics a lot more than not... I'm struggling with the whole macros thing a bit, to be honest. Today is day 1 of week 2 and because I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, I want to find the carb/protein/fat ratio that works best for my body, and I don't have a clue what that is yet... I am playing around with them a little to find my sweet spot...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories at all. I track my sodium and protein on here, a by product is getting my calorie count and I look back at it (I quick add calories and macros only) occasionally. I just eat healthy and it all falls into place. Right now I'm struggling to tone up and get stronger while not losing any more weight. My focus is more on good foods and working out, don't get me wrong though - if I feel like a beer or a cupcake I have one. Just not every day.
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    I avoid dairy and wheat (though not all gluten) because I find they do not add value to my diet for the calories they have. I also track all my micro-nutrients with Cronometer.com, since I practice CRON.

My plan ends up looking like a low-calorie Paleo plan with a little rice now and then--
  • EdCamera
    EdCamera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce the amount of salt in my diet using the DASH diet. Hope to eliminate/reduce the amount of BP meds I take. A side benefit is my daily glucose counts are in the normal range and my calorie count is down and I'm losing a little weight.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty wide variety of ways people are using MFP. Personally, I'm watching my calories as well as trying to keep my carbs under 40% (which is still a pretty high percentage so not at all "low" or "moderate" carb) and sodium at about 3,400mg.

My husband's dietary needs are different; he's trying to keep his carbs significantly lower for example.

Aside from that, we are not eliminating foods or food groups from our diet.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not too different from many of the other respondents: I count calories and watch my macros. The one other bit of effort is making sure there are some veggies and fruits eaten - it is REALLY easy for me to eat NONE at all, while still hitting my carb macro just fine.

I think we can all (almost all) agree that it's best if your carbs come from a variety of sources, and have noticed this is my Waterloo. Not eating veggies & fruits might not prevent me from losing weight, but I'm interested in being a bit better balanced and healthier. So I do work at that a bit..and it's working!

To me the uber-restrictive diets create an unhealthy attitude towards food. FOR ME. Others experience it differently. YMMV.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I count calories, and I've also cut out 99% of the stuff that made me fat (soda, crisps, sweets, chocolate, cakes etc). My portions are way smaller now, but they're plenty which tells me I was massively overeating without even realizing it. And I still get to eat my favourite food every week (homemade pizza) while being under my calorie limit.
  • Fitteacherc
    Fitteacherc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calories but I find that I spend more time thinking about macros. I'm powerlifting (gaining muscle) and trying to lose weight at the same time so I need to pay attention to carbs, fat, and protein. Since I need efficient sources of protein (ones that don't have tons of fat or carbs), I find that I've been eating whole foods.