Starting using weights. Could use some advice.

Options
Hi
I am going to buy myself 2 simple dumbbells in the next few weeks to help with my journey. I currently weigh 230 @ 5 ft 3. I was wondering where would be a good starting point? I am not looking to start doing any crazy lifting. My form of exercise is walking. I walk between 3-5 miles per day at a speed of 3-5 miles per hour. I am wanting to use something along the lines of the ones in the link posted. Can someone recommend a good starting weight and a few simple exercises I should be doing? And maybe what I can expect from adding this to my daily routine?

. http://www.amazon.com/Tools-BSTVD2-2-Pound-Dumbbell-Purple/dp/B002A49BI6/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1412453438&sr=8-16&keywords=dumbell

Thank you!

Replies

• fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A 2 pound dumbbell isn't going to do much of anything for you. If you're looking to get stronger you have to lift enough to make your body adapt. Unless you're honestly weak enough that 2 pounds is a struggle all you're doing is maybe burning a handful of extra calories.
  • ambrbrown
    Options
    Okay. Good information, But that is why I asked for a good starting weight. Could you recommend a higher one that would be better?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're going to get DBs, at least get some adjustable ones. You use different weights for different exercises. And the weights will rapidly change over time. I'd get something that goes up to at least 50-75lbs for each DB. 2lbs isn't going to do anything, you could use bottles of water for that weight.
  • libertino85
    libertino85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, most important thing is to keep counting calories. Stay at a deficit. Keep walking. Start doing squats, with body weight or with the Dumbbells. You can look that exercise up on YouTube. Also, do push ups, as best you can.

Keep in mind, exercise does not burn as many calories as we think. Your weight loss will come from cutting down on food intake. BUT you got to do (at least) the above exercises so your body won't eat up your muscle too much as you lose weight.
  • beautifullady7
    beautifullady7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a set of 5 pound weights. And when I remember, I just stand in front of the tv and lift above my head and also tilt to the side. I also lift to the side, behind and in front. I figure it is better than nothing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe a set of 5 or 8 and then 10 as well, if you can get 3 sets 12.5 would be good too-even for beginners.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would recommend something else, you might be able to do some minor delt work with 2lb dumb bells, but you would have to do 100 reps and probably still not reach the minimum threshold, you would just deplete your glycogen and fatigue the muscles. As the adjustables can be rather expensive you could simply get a cheap barbell or dumbbells with some cheap plates. If your main concern is weight loss, the best movements for weight loss are compound movements that recruit several muscles. Not only will you create a larger caloric deficit but it will also put you on your way to improving any mobility issues you may have due to tight muscles, tendons, previous injuries, whatever it may be. As previously recommended, body weight squats and maybe start with some light dead lifts, snatches, etc. But that is just my opinion, I am not a huge fan of anarobic exercises and that is typically what 2 lb dumbbells are associated with.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Okay. Good information, But that is why I asked for a good starting weight. Could you recommend a higher one that would be better?

If you're looking to get stronger the answer is "As much as you can lift for 5 sets of 5 reps", You only get stronger by lifting enough to make your body go "Oh crap, I need to make more muscle if she's going to do this!" Don't worry about getting ripped, you're not going to lift heavy one day and suddenly look like a bodybuilder.

If you're not looking to get stronger then you probably don't need to bother with weights anyway. The most you'd want to do is find your current max and just keep at that instead of lifting heavier.

If you're looking to get stronger read this: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Again, you aren't going to get ripped overnight, you can lift heavy without getting bulky, and if you start to bulk up you can always just stop adding weight.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I started with 5 lb weights. when it started getting easy I added more reps.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I started with 5 lb weights. when it started getting easy I added more reps.

You should buy heavier weights when it gets too easy.