Continuous cardio or a mix?

Options
I've been with the program for almost two weeks now and was told by the gym's trainer to do 10 min of rigorous cardio then strength train, then back to cardio for ten, and so on... I read yesterday, however, that to lower your cholesterol you need to keep your heart rate up continuously for at least 30 minutes. So, today I worked on the elliptical for 30 minutes straight (though the last 5 minutes I admit the thought of needing to revise my will did come into mind) and had nothing left for strength training. Any thoughts or ideas on this???

Replies

• MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm a firm believer of strength training. Without muscle you're not going to get the kind of definition that makes a body look tight. You can do the elliptical for 30min, but follow up with some weights.

Also if you don't strength train and just do cardio, you're telling your body to burn both muscle/fat. So although you may see 10lbs lost, some of that could be muscle. With strength training and the correct protein diet you can preserve muscle while attacking more of the fat.
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have done different programs and right now am doing P90X each program does by days. One day is all Cardio and then the next day is strength training. On strength training days I try to do at least something cardio even if its just 15 minutes. So you might want to consider changing days..
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of strength training, then 30 minutes of high intensity cardio. Works well for me.
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    Without muscle you're not going to get the kind of definition that makes a body look tight.
    Also if you don't strength train and just do cardio, you're telling your body to burn both muscle/fat. So although you may see 10lbs lost, some of that could be muscle. With strength training and the correct protein diet you can preserve muscle while attacking more of the fat.

I agree, I have read from many fitness mags that you have to do strength training to build muscle and muscle burns fat at a faster rate. I have heard the same thing your trainer is telling you and it is good advice. If you want to work on your cardio to help with stamina or cholesterol alternate your days, so you have one cardio day and the next a good mix with strength training. I try to have some weights with me now even when I do just a cardio work out, just to try to ramp up the muscles.
  • meal858692
    Options
    Try this on days you want to do cardio and weights. Do your weight training first. Eat a small snack inbetween weights and cardio. I mean small, like 100 cal. Then do your cardio. Then another small snack or your next meal within one hour of completion of your work out.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    Best to mix it up... BUT, if you're going to strength train and do cardio in the same day, do the strength training first. You're much more likely to injure yourself with weights than cardio so it's better to be fresh for the exercise that requires more concentration.
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    It all depends on your goals and where you are currently in your fitness level... I am very big into lifting weights FIRST then doing moderate cardio for 30-60 mins after...

If I was to ever do cardio prior to strength training I wouldnt be able to lift squat
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow. Great advice that I'll definitely use. Thanks a ton to each of you and have a GREAT weekend :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've been with the program for almost two weeks now and was told by the gym's trainer to do 10 min of rigorous cardio then strength train, then back to cardio for ten, and so on... I read yesterday, however, that to lower your cholesterol you need to keep your heart rate up continuously for at least 30 minutes. So, today I worked on the elliptical for 30 minutes straight (though the last 5 minutes I admit the thought of needing to revise my will did come into mind) and had nothing left for strength training. Any thoughts or ideas on this???

There are two problems with what your trainer is suggesting (other than the fact that he is a doughhead): One, he obviously hasn't taken your current level of conditioning into account--he has basically given you a "cook book" workout that doesn't address your specific needs and ability at this time; two--while I understand what he is going for with those recommendations, the fact is that, if you are still in the beginning stages, you don't need to be concerned with intricate programming--just starting to move in a focused way will provide results--you can do the "fancy" stuff later. Unless he gave you a detailed workout protocol of specific exercises and workloads, there is no point to doing such a program at this time.

Given your age and your reference to "two weeks", I am assuming you are just starting out. If you have not been exercising and are somewhat deconditioned and carrying some extra weight, then you really need to go through a period of what I call "preconditioning"--2-6 weeks of moderate work that will allow your body to initially adapt to the physical demands of a workout routine and provide some basic conditioning. It also gives you a chance to learn some basic exercise techniques (especially lifting) and develop some balance and coordination. This will provide a "base" which will put you in a better position to do more vigorous (and effective) workouts.

During this initial period, don't get hung up chasing various sets of "guidelines". You can read 10 different articles on "the best way to exercise" and all might be true--it depends on the condition of the person, their goals, etc, etc.

This is the time to build up your endurance. The initial goals are to establish a consistent routine (i.e. fitting workout sessions into your schedule), increasing cardio endurance (number of minutes can continuously do an exercise), adapt your muscles to a strength routine, and learn proper lifting technique. Initially, intensity is of secondary concern. Once you have developed the ability where you can do 30 min on the cross trainer without feeling like you are going to pass out and have gotten over any initial stiffness/soreness from lifting weights and feel comfortable with the movements--then you can start to ramp up the intensity of the program and introduce more challenging interval-type workouts.

Ultimately, you will develop the endurance and stamina to do more work. In the beginning, it might make more sense to cut down on the cardio on lifting days (just do a light 10-20 min warm up) and do your longer cardio on separate days.

Keep it simple, keep the intensity moderate, build on success, and have fun. In a few weeks, revisit your program and you will be ready to take it to the next level.
  • tacmedic2209
    Options
    Hi there,I always do about 5min of cardio to warm up. I do my strength training workout after that. You need some strength training to keep your muscle tone and muscle helps burn fat. Without strength training you will break down some muscle. You don't want to do that. You will see weight loss but some of that might be muscle. Muscle weighs more so it might look like your droping lots of weight. Not a good thing. After I am all done strength training I do some stretching and then do at least 30 min of cardio.

When you do cardio it is important to watch your heart rate. Most machines will usually show the "average" rates for someones age. There is a difference between burning fat and doing cardiovascular which will work the hear more for endurance. I always work out with a little higher heart rate because I want to do both. I always push my self to the limit but I am always aware of where I'm at. You need to start slow and find your balance point to start. Don't over do it. Work up little by little if you do 10min the first day do 12-15 over the next few times you go and so on.

Most important. Eat after your workout. Your body needs protein and other nutrients more than ever now. It helps when you have a good protein diet set up also. With lots of cardio you want to also have a good fair amount of carbs and make sure your body is hydrated. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have any questions:smile:
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's great advice.

There are two problems with what your trainer is suggesting (other than the fact that he is a doughhead): One, he obviously hasn't taken your current level of conditioning into account--he has basically given you a "cook book" workout that doesn't address your specific needs and ability at this time; two--while I understand what he is going for with those recommendations, the fact is that, if you are still in the beginning stages, you don't need to be concerned with intricate programming--just starting to move in a focused way will provide results--you can do the "fancy" stuff later. Unless he gave you a detailed workout protocol of specific exercises and workloads, there is no point to doing such a program at this time.

Given your age and your reference to "two weeks", I am assuming you are just starting out. If you have not been exercising and are somewhat deconditioned and carrying some extra weight, then you really need to go through a period of what I call "preconditioning"--2-6 weeks of moderate work that will allow your body to initially adapt to the physical demands of a workout routine and provide some basic conditioning. It also gives you a chance to learn some basic exercise techniques (especially lifting) and develop some balance and coordination. This will provide a "base" which will put you in a better position to do more vigorous (and effective) workouts.

During this initial period, don't get hung up chasing various sets of "guidelines". You can read 10 different articles on "the best way to exercise" and all might be true--it depends on the condition of the person, their goals, etc, etc.

This is the time to build up your endurance. The initial goals are to establish a consistent routine (i.e. fitting workout sessions into your schedule), increasing cardio endurance (number of minutes can continuously do an exercise), adapt your muscles to a strength routine, and learn proper lifting technique. Initially, intensity is of secondary concern. Once you have developed the ability where you can do 30 min on the cross trainer without feeling like you are going to pass out and have gotten over any initial stiffness/soreness from lifting weights and feel comfortable with the movements--then you can start to ramp up the intensity of the program and introduce more challenging interval-type workouts.

Ultimately, you will develop the endurance and stamina to do more work. In the beginning, it might make more sense to cut down on the cardio on lifting days (just do a light 10-20 min warm up) and do your longer cardio on separate days.

Keep it simple, keep the intensity moderate, build on success, and have fun. In a few weeks, revisit your program and you will be ready to take it to the next level.
    [/quote]