Anyone Secretly Enjoy Running?

Options
Hi! I am looking to make some new MyFitnessPal friends. . . ones who may secretly enjoy running like I do! I've ran in a couple of races, longest one was a half marathon. I'm an average paced runner, say 10 minute miles, but on race days adrenaline kicks in and I run faster! Any age is fine, running is a sport for all ages! I'm 26 myself.

So, if anyone likes to run, likes some positive feedback and support feel free to respond and/or add me, or I can add you!

I ran my first race today in 3 years, it's been a while, but I'm back in the game!

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I openly love it... does that count? :-)
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love it, but not secretly. Makes me feel happy, healthy and more alive :) I'm training for a half marathon in November.
  • Hakers344
    Hakers344 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to love running, am trying to find the love again
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We'll, I'm only 4 weeks into learning how to run but I'm loving it!!!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Me! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to secretly enjoy it? I feel like I have to secretly hate it. I ran like less than a quarter of a mile in my first 5k this summer, and I looked over at my friend and said "I'm never running again after this".
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Why do you have to secretly enjoy it? I feel like I have to secretly hate it. I ran like less than a quarter of a mile in my first 5k this summer, and I looked over at my friend and said "I'm never running again after this".
    Lol! I felt that way for years.... I was always into weight-lifting and never ran until about three and a half years ago. I always felt that runners were tools who were always judging me... now that I run all the time, I try to be a non-judgmental tool. :-) But I totally love running....and I think you really need to as well...lol

Here is why I love to run... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1439225-why-i-love-to-run?hl=why+i+love+to+run&page=1
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lol! I felt that way for years.... I was always into weight-lifting and never ran until about three and a half years ago. I always felt that runners were tools who were always judging me... now that I run all the time, I try to be a non-judgmental tool. :-) But I totally love running....and I think you really need to as well...lol

Here is why I love to run... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1439225-why-i-love-to-run?hl=why+i+love+to+run&page=1

haha! I love that you wrote I need to love it as well. Ugh... I get it, it's just so......so....horrible. Anyway, I stopped for awhile because running my stupid 5k at a slow pace wasn't helping me lose weight. I'd be interested to see how I can do now that I'm more fit though.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I no longer secretly love running, I profess it to the world! I want to make sweet, sweet love to my running!

OK, that may be a bit much...

...at least to admit in public...

But still...

I DO LOVE running!

And that is mighty weird, because I was never a runner, or wanted to be.

I can't wait for my run this afternoon!!!

Oh, I basically accidentally stumbled into running from walking, and reaching the point that walking wasn't doing anything really, so I thought about biking. I didn't have a bike though, wasn't going to buy one THAT DAY either, so I decided to run until such a time I could get a bike.

I don't want a bike. I want to run.

Did my first 10k back on 9/20. Planning on doing a half-marathon next, next Spring most likely as I haven't been able to ramp up my training quite enough to hit that mid-November half. I am still trying though and may still enter it if I am somewhat close in training. There is still time to tell.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    But if they respond in the affirmative to your question, then it isn't really a secret that they enjoy running, is it?

The jury's still out as far as I am concerned. I decided to give running a try earlier this week, so I've only got 3 of them under my belt. I decided to give it a try for my 5th grader. He ran cross country for the first time this year at school and totally LOVES it! He is wanting to do some 5ks this spring/summer, but at 11, I don't feel comfortable dropping him at the start line, telling him to have fun, and picking him up at the finish line. I could ask around and talk to some of our friends that run, and see if they would be willing to run with him from time to time, but don't really want to have to depend upon someone else to be available to go with him. Therefore, it's either me or his dad, and due to some health concerns, my husband isn't really a candidate. So, by default, it looks like I need to get to where I can run a 5k.

Right now, I can run a 3k, just not all at once. I do it 1k at a time, walking 1k in-between each one that I jog. My plan is to do this for a couple weeks, or until it gets easier, which ever happens first. Then, I thought it would be good to increase things, but not really sure how to go about that. If I increase how long of an interval I am jogging, do I keep my walking interval the same? Or, should I leave my jogging interval at 1k and just shorten the walking intervals in-between at first? And how much should I increase the jogging interval by, or decrease the walking one by?

I honestly have no clue what I am doing! In fact, the only reason I am doing 1k intervals is because the first day I decided to try to run, I thought I would just see how far I could go at once. I probably could have run a bit longer, but I never would have been able to do it a second time (or a third) if I had tried to do that. It is hard for me to do this, but not so hard I want to quit and never do it again. I know it will get easier, I just need some help figuring out where to go from here.

Off to figure out how to run.....
  • haleyy175
    Options
    I love running! I only run up to 4 miles though because my knees hurt most of the time. I always try to run at least 3 miles a day though. Sometimes if they feel okay I can run forever!
  • arditarose
    Options

haha! I love that you wrote I need to love it as well. Ugh... I get it, it's just so......so....horrible. Anyway, I stopped for awhile because running my stupid 5k at a slow pace wasn't helping me lose weight. I'd be interested to see how I can do now that I'm more fit though.

So you completely inspired me to go on my first real run since June. I've been lifting heavy this whole and and have lost 20 pounds since then. Anyway, I ran 3.1something miles in a little over 30 minutes (give or take a few red lights), and was literally singing The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love" out loud on the crowded streets of Brooklyn. It felt great!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it a secret at all. :-)
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love to run as well. I am training for a marathon that is on November 2nd. I took up running in 2010, but quit when I went to college. This past year I began running again and I have made great improvements.

I average about 10 minutes per mile as well. Sometimes I do faster, other times slower. Depends on what my body feels like.

My longest run has been 20.5 miles. I'm going to work on a run that is 21.5 to 22 miles tomorrow. Hopefully my body doesn't act like a brat. ( Sometimes it does ). I find that 20+ milers can be very challenging, because I am fine until I hit like mile 17-18, then i feel like my body wants to stop, and it is hard to keep pushing.

My favorite distances are in between 12 and 17 miles. I feel like they are long enough to feel accomplished but not brutally long either. Today I did a 12-miler and it was fun.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options

So you completely inspired me to go on my first real run since June. I've been lifting heavy this whole and and have lost 20 pounds since then. Anyway, I ran 3.1something miles in a little over 30 minutes (give or take a few red lights), and was literally singing The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love" out loud on the crowded streets of Brooklyn. It felt great!

Awesome! It's a beautiful thing... :))
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    can I ask, why do you like it? i'd much rather be indoors in the warm. I don't like being sweaty. and I get bored. I end up idley walking. that is why im fat.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I really don't enjoy running, but I LOVE the fact that I have lost almost 30 lbs. in the past 4 months since I have picked it up. So for that fact alone, I guess I do love running in some way. This is why I keep doing it!
  • arditarose
    Options

Awesome! It's a beautiful thing... :))

I actually felt better during it than I do right now though :(
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I really love running, but I do like it. I especially like it when the weather is cooperating, and its a beautiful, crisp day out. A nice breeze is always appreciated, too. I usually run on a park track or on the treadmill (usually intervals to keep from being too bored), and occasionally in a neighborhood when visiting family. We are finally getting a little cool air here, and I'm looking forward to some cooler morning runs. My longish run is usually Sunday morning, and then a treadmill run one or two days during the week.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I freaken LOVE running and I tell everyone that I do, feel free to add me always up for more MFP running buds