Maintainers Who Log Every Day

Options
Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight?
Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick?
Do you log every day (or just about)?
Do you exercise 4 or more days a week?
Does having an active friends list help keep you on target?

Please send me a friend request!!

My story: I joined MFP just after Halloween last year. I lost 50 lbs (25% of my starting weight) over 9 months by managing my calories and activity level using MFP. In August I went on vacation and then hurt my hip (bursitis from running and squatting with weights). Over the past 6 weeks I have done minimal exercise (doctor's orders) and my food intake has gotten worse and worse. I do not want to be one of those "I lost weight and then gained it all back" stories. So I am going back to basics with better calorie controll and logging and slowly increasing exercise. My MFPs were a big part of my initial weightloss success but most have dropped off the radar achieving their goals and no longer needing the discipline and support of MFP. I still need discipline and support to do this. Please add me if you are in the same boat.

Replies

• r1ker
    r1ker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    so did you gain any weight over the past 6 weeks? if not, calm down and check your calorie intake. ;)
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am down 78 lbs which is about 35% of my original weight.
    Yep, every day still requires working at maintenance. I get to eat more and I get to eat more "treats" but I still have to watch it otherwise I can easily slip back to my old ways.
    Yes, I log in every day and am running a `~525 streak right now.
    I work out 4 days a week but still try to be somewhat active every day.
    No, my friends list does not change my behavior.

I have been maintaining for 7 months now and feel that I have a control on it but logging in everyday makes sure that I stay on track. This week was a struggle and I felt it would be pretty easy to fall back into old habits. I stuck to my guns though and did fine but I can see exactly how hard this can be.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hello!

ahhhm I don't know? 136 to 94 ... math is not my strong suit - you can calculate for me if you like lol

Yup Yup going on 2 years!

Like a faithful puppy

Yes 5-6 days a week typically but I don't sweat it if I miss more than that now in maintenance mode.

Yes & No.

If the MFP friend is actually IN maintenance mode like me, YES - it helps a lot because we can understand the challenges of being in maintaining phase & lend support to one another.

If the MFP friend is still in the losing phase or beginning stages, NO - because some members mistaken the MFP community to be there personal life counselors. I try to be helpful & encouraging however I don't want my news feed cluttered with how their controlling boyfriend won't allow them to eat certain things or intimate details about their sex life.

For me, MFP is a place where I can share & celebrate people's successes and offer some encouragement when needed.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? Yes.. over 46 pounds or more than 30% of my current weight.
    Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? Yes. Every day.
    Do you log every day (or just about)? You bet.
    Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? Track activity every day, goal of 10k insteps, with 5-7 30 minute workouts
    Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? My friends inspire me everyday when I view their daily postings, and the forums and blogs inspire me when I read of successes and how setbacks are overcome. I also like the MFP Blog daily.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? - No, i only had a few pounds to lose. Mainly on here for the food logging and Forum info.
    Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? - Yes, especially healthier eating habits and more varied workouts.
    Do you log every day (or just about)? - Yep!
    Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? - Yes, 4-5 times a week (mostly cardio)
    Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? - Not really! I'll comment on friends posts occasionally, but for me it's not necessary to keep me motivated. (Not being able to get into my Jeans is enough motivation. :happy: )
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You asked:
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? Yes! Lost about 36%

Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? I approached this not as a diet but as a life style change. Changes were made gradually over the years (I started in Oct 2011 and reached my goal in April 2013, although I lost about 20 pounds since then and have been at that weight for about 9 months). My eating and exercise habits are completely different now than they were 3 years ago.

Do you log every day (or just about)? I log every day, every meal, every bit of food. If I'm at a party of something I may just estimate the calories but I don't ignore them. Tracking keeps me honest and I can see over the course of a week how I'm doing.

Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? Here's my routine. I wear a pedometer and get at least 10,000 steps every day. I go to the gym 3-4 times/week for cardio and do weights twice/week. On the days I don't go to the gym I make sure I get at least 30 minutes of aerobic walking in. Usually get in a yoga class each week and a Pilates class. Since I retired in June I actually do more exercise.

Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? I only have a few friends on this site or others. I find that reading the community messages and posting helps me. As does reading articles on nutrition and fitness.
  • anname9203
    anname9203 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? Yes, lost 55 lbs which is about 26% of my starting weight.

Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? Yes, every single day...still working on it!

Do you log every day (or just about)? Yes, I log every day.

Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? Yes usually. I was out of town last week and then was ill a few days so that is the longest period I've gone (about a week!) without exercising since I started this. Back on track now! I usually walk every day with my pooch and I have an elliptical that I enjoy using but have been slacking on that lately. I want to get that back into my routine as it really makes a difference for me to have just that 30 minute workout in there most days a week.

Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? I enjoy seeing what others are doing and encouraging others. I don't know if it keeps me on target but I like to check in and see what is going on and would like more friends who are on maintenance.

I've been on MFP since 2011 but didn't do much with it until 2013. I started out on Weight Watchers when my employer "encouraged" us to lose weight for healthcare premium credits. After the 3 months to qualify for the credit was up I was down about 25 lbs and switched over to MFP and have been here ever since losing an additional 30 lbs. I like the site and it is easy to use and keeps me motivated! I've lost and gained weight so much in the past that this phase scares me because I've been here before and I need to be successful this time!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? Yes. 31%

Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? Everyday though sometimes I slip into old habits. So far I've been able to jump back in and maintain.

Do you log every day (or just about)? Yes. I rarely miss a day.

Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? Yes though have sometimes slipped into laziness.

Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? I'll say yes because I haven't tried maintaining on my own.

I've been in maintenance for only 4 months. August and September were pretty rocky. I had 4 occasions Aug/Sept where I just flat "pigged out" on mini frozen Snickers, ice cream, peanuts and/or peanut butter. :noway: :devil:
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yes I am a daily logger. I feel the couple minutes a day to prevent me to going back to be what I started at two years ago.

29509743.png
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    > Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight?

No, I lost about 30-35 lbs. I'm just under 150 lbs now.

> Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick?

Yes and no - I am at the gym enough that I will not likely get fat again, but it's tough to stay within my weight division for competitions (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). That's where MFP comes in :)

> Do you log every day (or just about)?

Yes, every calorie gets logged. Not out of neuroses, just because that's how this works. :)

> Do you exercise 4 or more days a week?

Yes - I am in training for about 10-15 hours/week. I actually log on MFP most of the time to ensure I don't accidentally *lose* weight.

> Does having an active friends list help keep you on target?

Not really - I am motivated from within, but it's nice to see my friends (people I know in real life) working hard towards their goals. I like to cheer them on.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a daily logger. I don't know about percentages, but I do know that I was a half pound away from being obese (according to the doctor) and immediately made a change. Within 12 months, I was told that I was at a healthy weight. I've bee maintaing for about a year. This past summer, something happened to my enthusiasm and I gained about 4 pounds and I'm trying very hard to eat healthy again and watch my snacks. It will take time, but I know I can do it before it gets completely out of control again,
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    - Yep! I lost 1/3 of my starting body weight.

- Of course! My priorities have shifted, that's all.

-Yep. 493 day streak.

-Typically 5-6. Sometimes 4, but not often. I enjoy my exercise.

-Nah. It keeps me social. I enjoy my friends and their encouragement, but the only thing that helped me to lose weight/get fit was keeping myself accountable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, almost 25%!

Yes! Every day is a brain rewire day!

Yes! I log when I am home/have access to my scale/my computer, take breaks when I can't, don't fret, but look forward to get back to my plan.

Yes! Nothing too excessive though.

I don't know... I use the food diary and the forums, but friendships can never be wrong.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    If you logged to get down (or up) to your maintenance weight, why not just continue doing something that is working?
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    -- 24% GONE and counting

-- That's the plan.

-- Coming up on my 1 year of logging every single day :drinker:

-- More like 6-7

-- Yes, of course!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? Yeah around 40%.

Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? Oh yes, I want this to remain.

Do you log every day (or just about)? Sure do.

Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? When i can, so maybe 3 times a week.

Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? It doesn't harm but it doesn't make me work harder. I do this for me, noone else.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Been there. Done that.
    Every day. Every meal.
    Yep, though just walking.
    No, it makes it worse for me. If I have friends who can see my diary, I feel self conscious logging and feel tempted to be less honest. My diary is just for me and I need to be completely honest with myself. So although I have sometimes spent way too much time on the forums, I am only friends with my husband (so we can share meals) and my sister (who I am so happy has lost 30 pounds using MFP in the last 60 days). And I still feel self-conscious with my sister.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My loss is 17-18% of my starting weight.
    Yes, I've worked for over a year to make the lifestyle stick.
    I log every day (408-day streak).
    I exercise 3 days per week.
    No, the friends are nice but I hold myself accountable.

If you want, though, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? Yes, 30 percent.

Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? Not really, its like just something I do. No real effort on my part now.

Do you log every day (or just about)? Everyday. And I am in the forums too.

Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? No, I am not a vigorous excersizer. I do about 90 minutes a week of walking/yoga/dancin'

Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? It is nice to have people comment on my diary, Like hey, someone cares. But honestly I log whether anyone reads it or not.

If I dont have access to a computer I write my food down in a notebook.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Have you lost 20% or more of your starting body weight? - A bit over 30%.

Are you working to make the lifestyle change stick? - I've been maintaining between 130-140 for about 2 years now.

Do you log every day (or just about)? Today is day 1,114 of consecutive logging for me. It's become a bit of an obsession.

Do you exercise 4 or more days a week? I walk my dog 3 miles every day and do about an hour of strength and/or intervals 5-6 days.

Does having an active friends list help keep you on target? - Not so much. I do what I do for me. I'm one of the fittest people I know.