Stronglift 5x5

Options
I'm a beginner at weight lifting and just started SL5x5... Any comments and/or suggestions on that program? Don't want to bulk -up, just want to tone.

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's a good starting program, and like any program consistency is key. As for any concern about getting bulky, you won't unless you're eating at a calorie surplus. If you're new to lifting, however, you will add muscle and lose fat, or to put it another way, you will recomp and your shape will change over time. Just be patience, and make sure that you're getting adequate protein.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I think you're right on track with that program. You're probably going to love it the effects if you are consistent. I also enjoyed reading the book Starting Strength because it went into exquisite detail about form with those compound lifts. So, if you have any concerns about form, I recommend this book. There are many people here at mfp who are knowledgable and experienced with programs like this also.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There's a group here on MFP that is all about women doing Stronglifts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner at weight lifting and just started SL5x5... Any comments and/or suggestions on that program? Don't want to bulk -up, just want to tone.

I've been a runner for years, but was never able to be successful or consistent with any type of weight training. I didn't enjoy it and really never had a good plan.

About 3 months ago, I started StrongLifts and taking yoga a couple of times per week. I am very happy to report that StrongLifts is working really well for me. I like the simplicity of the plan and I'm seeing results. I am using the phone apps, which helps keep me on track at the gym.

The SL program has you move up weights every workout until you max out. (Then you back off and build up again.).

My only advice would be to not be afraid to hold the weight at one level for more than one workout. It is a more conservative approach, but that seems to help me since I'm also doing other training. It keeps me from being as sore. Also... I'm a bit afraid of injury with the heavy squats. I feel like moving up weight more slowly minimizes the chance of injury.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I've been a runner for years, but was never able to be successful or consistent with any type of weight training. I didn't enjoy it and really never had a good plan.

About 3 months ago, I started StrongLifts and taking yoga a couple of times per week. I am very happy to report that StrongLifts is working really well for me. I like the simplicity of the plan and I'm seeing results. I am using the phone apps, which helps keep me on track at the gym.

The SL program has you move up weights every workout until you max out. (Then you back off and build up again.).

My only advice would be to not be afraid to hold the weight at one level for more than one workout. It is a more conservative approach, but that seems to help me since I'm also doing other training. It keeps me from being as sore. Also... I'm a bit afraid of injury with the heavy squats. I feel like moving up weight more slowly minimizes the chance of injury.

I could have written the above post! There have been times where I successfully squat the weight but do it again the next time because I just don't feel ready to increase. I love it! The group recommended above is amazingly helpful and very friendly.
  • stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your answers! I'll certainly go and peek the group on MFP! I'm excited to have a program for the gym other than improvising here and there :) I'll try to be as consistant as I can be since I'm also training for faster 5K and 10K... and eventualy half?

Thank you :)
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured out the ideal way to work in SL while training for a half.

Lifting on days off from running does impact my runs. The squats leave me a bit sore, tight, and fatigued the next day. Once the long run gets to more than 6-7 miles, lifting the day before my long run is a recipe for disaster.

What is working for me:
    1) Resting the day before the long run. No lifting.
    2) Eating extra calories the day before the long run.
    3) Being realistic about not overdoing it.

I'd also recommend making a decision about where your exercise priority is right now.

Some days/weeks I'm time constrained or feeling fatigued. I don't beat myself up about it. Race training takes a higher priority than SL, at least until the race is over.
  • andywrightpt
    Options
    5x5 SL is a great programme. It is a very simple plan that yeilds great results if you stick to it.

A good spotter is always recommended, as it means you can push yourself a little harder, knowing that someone is there if you need some help.Also do some homework on technique of the lifts, as bad or incorrect form could cause an injury which could set back your training for the 5k you are planning to do.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your answers! I'll certainly go and peek the group on MFP! I'm excited to have a program for the gym other than improvising here and there :) I'll try to be as consistant as I can be since I'm also training for faster 5K and 10K... and eventualy half?

Thank you :)

I waited until after my 1/2 to really focus on SL. When you get up there in weight, your body needs the rest days. No way I could do SL 3X/week and then run 3 medium to long runs a week. As someone else mentioned, I am sure it is doable if you modify, but performance in something will probably suffer a bit.