Help! High Triglycerides and Keto Diet

Options
I am on a new confusing journey....I was just recently told that my triglycerides are 1611 when a normal level is below 150. I have started a keto diet and my doctor prescribed me a weight loss pill. I'm in need of support and ideas for being Keto. I started October 15th with the phentermine at 190lbs. I am currently at 173.8lbs my body is in ketosis. If anybody has any tips I really need them. I've been on the Keto diet for one week. I have had the "keto flu" and miserable but I have pushed through. I am only 26 but I don't want to have high level triglycerides for the rest of my life and hereditary is speaking differently.

I need friends on mfp to help keep me motivated because this is something I have to do. I don't want to die of heart disease.

-Rachel K

Replies

• BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Keto, but normally my diet resembles a low-carb/high fat plan with few processed foods. My triglyceride levels over the last few years has been very low and I've stayed eating this way (except for my current plan where I'm experimenting with high-carb days while working out a specific way).

I'd recommend that you keep pushing through with the keto, have your blood checked again and see if it's working. If it is, I think you'll be hooked and more motivated. People wonder how my triglyceride and LDL levels are so low with all of the fat that I eat and I just laugh as no one wants to listen, and they keep taking their nutrition advice from the 11 o'clock news.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been ketoing for three months. Just got my own tests back and they're normal.

Go ahead and add me if you'd like! My diary is open, though I tend to stick to 40g net carbs, which is a bit higher than a lot of people do on keto.

For the flu, drink lots of broths. It seriously helps.

The longer you stay in keto, seriously, the easier it gets! I pass up pie, cookies, and cake like nothing. Sure, I still drool a little, but I don't feel that huge craving any longer. You can do this!
  • PeaceLoveNDaisies
    Options
    Hi There,
    Feel free to add me as well. I have been doing Keto for a month and as of today, I hit the 20lb mark. There are still days when I feel a little run down, but the really crappy feeling is gone and I do find passing on the foods I used to crave easier. For me, the key was just making up my mind it was time to change. I don't have high triglycerides, but last bloodwork showed I was pre-diabetic and with High Cholesterol. Dr. gave me 3 months to correct it on my own or I have to go on meds.
  • weight12345
    weight12345 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I've been eating this way for 2 months and I will be going back to the doctor for blood work. I am hungry at normal meal times. I am not starving. I haven't eaten out of the restaurant in a month. I think that is due to trust. The sodium and hidden carbs scare me. Add me as well. Stay the course!
  • Hello Kayki,

My name is Alexandra. I am 59 years old and I've been studying nutrition, diets and fitness since I was 17 years old. So, I know a bit about what you are going through. The diet you are on is very similar to the Atkins diet; which actually is where the Keto diet was derived from to a large degree. I went on the Atkins diet back in the early 80's while in college. I wasn't overweight. I was simply anorexic. It was horrible. The food tasted terrible, and preparing everything was very labor intensive. So, I wasn't on it very long. However, I know about ketosis. That can be a dangerous place to be in. When you're body goes into ketosis your body is on fire inside because of the high protein intake; and, usually a low carbohydrate intake as well. NOT good. This chemical reaction in your body is very bad for your kidneys. You are probably losing a lot of fat however this way of eating is harming your kidneys, and putting a lot of stress on your other organs as well. Although your triglycerides are high at the moment perhaps you are also not eating very much fat. This is also not a good thing. We need to eat a certain amount of "healthy" fats in order to balance our metabolism, be healthy, and you won't need to be worrying about your weight, nor your triglycerides, either.