What birth control method should I chose?

Options
2»

Replies

• VitalStrong
    VitalStrong Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Condoms or Diaphragm and spermicide; or demand to get your tubes tied. You have to sign all this paperwork saying you consent to it; so it's not a liability for your doctor. Doctors don't usually give copper IUD unless you've had a baby. I worried about that it might cause copper toxicity, which causes a lot of mental disturbance. Honestly, cut down on sugar. Sugar will mess with hormones too.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use the nuvaring and haven't had any issues losing weight. I agree the suggestion to find another doctor that will take your concerns seriously is a good one. Perhaps there is something wrong that is preventing you from losing weight, provided of course, that you are eating less than maintenance calories.

If you aren't sure that you are eating less than maintenance, I suggest logging everything for a few weeks, along with tracking weight and body measurements. This link is a good one for ensuring logs are happening accurately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Good luck! I'm sure you will figure this out! :flowerforyou:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experiences with IUD's, but have you asked about a progesterone-only pill? I started out on a regular combination pill when I was 18, but my doctor switched me to a low-hormone progesterone-only pill a few years ago, and I really like it. The downside is that it's still a pill you have to take every day, and since it's very low hormone, you're supposed to be very careful about taking it at the exact same time every day. But my periods are much better with this pill (ortho micronor/norethindrone) and my pms/TOM symptoms are much more mild and manageable.

Edited to add: the post directly above mine is a good one. Definitely make sure you're being accurate, precise, and consistent with your calorie intake before you can be sure that there's an underlying issue complicating weight loss for you. I agree that hormones can certainly affect weight loss and gain, but from what I've read, oral birth controls may cause an increase in appetite but do not cause weight gain in and of themselves. I've been taking oral birth control for 10 years now and haven't had any issues losing weight. If you're sure you're accurate with your food, talk to your doctor about underlying medical issues that may be affecting your CICO. :smile:
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    There is a new method of sterilisation for women, Essure. It can be done in Australia for those over 25 without "counselling" needed. I suggest you head over to thechildfreelife.com and see if there are any Australians there, or do a web search then call them. I read about the 25 year limit about 10 years ago, so it may be different or I may have misinterpreted it. If you can get it done at your age, then travel there and get it. Good luck.

You can do Essure in the States, too. I had my procedure done about 7 years ago, when my youngest kid was about 1, and it's been wonderful.

That being said, I thought that I didn't want children when I was in my 20s. I believed it so much that my first husband had a vasectomy, and it didn't bother me a bit. I did, actually, change my mind once I hit my 30s. Fortunately, I'd traded in husbands by then, lol. Think really seriously before you get sterilized. You'll still have the option of in vitro fertilization, etc., but that'll be a pretty expensive route to have to take.

There are quite a few non-hormonal options: condoms, of course, the diaphragm, progestin-only BCPs, copper IUDs, the sponge, etc. I have one friend who swears by the rhythm method. I tried that, though, and I named the baby Audrey. :laugh: It was actually the best birth control fail ever, but I wouldn't advise the rhythm method if you really, really don't want to be a mom.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cycles and have the Paragard copper IUD. I do notice the cycles are a tad worse, but not as bad as I feared. I am able to be off prescription meds. I just load up on ibuprofen.

Have you given thought about the Mirena IUD? It has hormones and only lasts 5 years. I have quite a few friends who LOVE it.

I have thought about it but I am really trying to avoid hormones

Mirena is the hormonal birth control that I can tolerate - because the hormones are localized in the uterus. Honestly, if I were you, I would give that a try before Paragaurd. I also had horrible periods and am extremely sensitive to hormonal birth control -- my doctor was pretty much like "Try this and if it doesn't work, we will try that".

But I would find another doctor that takes your desire to not have kids more seriously before you do anything.

I have Mirena, too, and I'm very happy with it. All of my weight loss has come since having it inserted, although I know there are other threads around where women have had different experiences. I had been on oral contraceptives for ~20 years (with a couple years off for my pregnancy/breastfeeding) and just didn't want to take systemic hormones anymore, but the amount in the Mirena is pretty small comparatively. The best part? I haven't actually had a period in the whole time I've had it. I think I might be due for a new one, and definitely will be getting another unless menopause magically appears.

EDIT: math fail.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Condoms for the next 20 yeas does not sound like a good solution to me...

And I am old enough to know that I MEAN it as well... I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm not.
    I'm sorry that I offended you.

It's just that MANY women in their twenties know for sure that they do not now, nor will they ever want children. They are confident and adamant about it. Later on, they change their minds. It happens a lot. Because everyone knows those young women so often change their minds, doctors don't want to do something they cannot undo.

I knew a girl who, even at 25 was always getting miffed about people suggesting that she might change her mind about becoming a mother. She took offense, too. At 35, she had four children. It happens. It happens a lot.

When a couple is 40 and 44 years old and says, "We've raised our children and there is no way in hell we want to start that crap over again!" it's very different than when they're 25 and 29 and saying, "We don't want them and we know we won't ever want them!"

That's all I meant. No offense to you, personally. :)
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    something that you should bring up to your doctor the next time you see him/her!
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cycles and have the Paragard copper IUD. I do notice the cycles are a tad worse, but not as bad as I feared. I am able to be off prescription meds. I just load up on ibuprofen.

Have you given thought about the Mirena IUD? It has hormones and only lasts 5 years. I have quite a few friends who LOVE it.

I have thought about it but I am really trying to avoid hormones

I was wary of hormones (hated all the pills I tried) but I LOVE the Mirena. I don't get a period at all anymore. It's worth at least discussing with your doctor.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Condoms for the next 20 yeas does not sound like a good solution to me...

And I am old enough to know that I MEAN it as well... I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm not.
    I'm sorry that I offended you.

It's just that MANY women in their twenties know for sure that they do not now, nor will they ever want children. They are confident and adamant about it. Later on, they change their minds. It happens a lot. Because everyone knows those young women so often change their minds, doctors don't want to do something they cannot undo.

I knew a girl who, even at 25 was always getting miffed about people suggesting that she might change her mind about becoming a mother. She took offense, too. At 35, she had four children. It happens. It happens a lot.

When a couple is 40 and 44 years old and says, "We've raised our children and there is no way in hell we want to start that crap over again!" it's very different than when they're 25 and 29 and saying, "We don't want them and we know we won't ever want them!"

That's all I meant. No offense to you, personally. :)

I didn't want children. I would have been sterilized had it been an option (I didn't have solid medical insurance - so it wasn't).

I had my daughter at 28 - unplanned pregnancy on birth control.

I love my daughter very much, but I struggle daily with the responsibility of loving another human and providing them with the nurturing they need to flourish. I rely heavily on my husband - he gives me more "me time" than he takes. He is my sounding board when I don't feel like I can do it.

I certainly don't regret my daughter - not even for a minute, I am very glad she's here - but I wasn't "wrong" about not wanting children. My life would be very different, but I am confident it would have been equally fulfilling and wonderful. Just in a different way. It's really, really not a good idea to suggest that because *some* people change their minds *ALL* people should have to repeatedly defend themselves and be denied medical treatments.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options

There is a new method of sterilisation for women, Essure.
    You can do Essure in the States, too. I had my procedure done about 7 years ago, when my youngest kid was about 1, and it's been wonderful.
    Essure Sterilization Procedure Tied to Severe Adverse Reactions

http://www.newsinferno.com/essure-sterilization-procedure-tied-to-severe-adverse-reactions/