1 lb. weight loss per day without starving

Options
Throughout my teens and most of my twenties, I was a pretty fit guy. Was involved in weightlifting, played football, etc. Around my late 20's, I started gaining weight without really noticing until it was too late. I never had to watch what I ate before, and stayed pretty fit, but the lack of discipline as I got older caught up with me. I'm a 5'10" guy and should probably be around 180-185 lbs for my build. I shot up to 220 lbs and couldn't seem to get it off for years. Not that I ever committed to it that much.

In the past 3 months, I really started tackling it hard. Jogging every day or every other day, interspersed with some weightlifting (dumbbells/pushups), and eating better along with counting calories.

I generally try to eat about 1500 calories per day, TRY to eat low carb (some days are better than others), don't eat past around 9pm, and workout around 30 minutes every other day in some form.

I haven't been starving myself by any means, but in the past month, I've been losing around a pound or half pound every day. I also don't work out all that hard. I'm never worn out or push myself too hard. I've been reading that losing that much is unhealthy and usually due to starving yourself or losing muscle and water weight due to cutting too many carbs. I still eat bread, pasta, or rice probably 3 days per week if not more.

My question is: Have any of you seen similar results? Is it unhealthy if I'm not going to extremes? I've also heard that increased muscle mass helps to burn calories because it boosts metabolism. I've still got decent muscle underneath the little bit of gut I have left. Could that be a factor? At some point, I'm gonna want to stabilize, but finding a balance between what I'm doing and how much I was eating before could prove tough.

Just want to make sure I'm not harming my body unintentionally here. Paying attention to my weight and health are sorta new things to me.

Replies

• Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HI! Questions for you- what do you now wiegh? So what is your total weight loss? How have you worked out your daily calorie allowance? I think your efforts are commendable and you must be pleased with your weight loss, just your calorie intake could be on the low side, especially if you are doing a lot of exercise. I'm a 5'9 woman and I eat 1400 cals a day and eat back half my exercise calories, rarely eat bread/ rice/pasta as it bloats me!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit fast. No harm in seeing the doctor
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt be worried. 1500 is pretty low for a guy like u though, proteins prolly make u feel full.
    If u r not tired and everything is okey, keep going
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    lb per day is impossible, and trust me ive tried it, you wont last and its not a smart idea
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    1500 seems too low to me for a 32 year old man, nearly 6 ft tall.

eating after 9 pm is irelevant.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm around your same height and 1500 is well below your BMR so that could explain the extreme weight loss for now. If your body isn't giving you any warning signals, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just know that if it does, you have lots of room upwards.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's normal in the first couple of weeks to lose fast, as you're dropping water. After that, at a rate that fast, I would be worried about losing muscle mass.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    1500 seems too low to me for a 32 year old man, nearly 6 ft tall.

eating after 9 pm is irelevant.

1500 is lower than what I usually eat, and I'm female and just a hair over 5 feet tall.

Agree with the eating after 9pm being irrelevant. So is the low carb, as long as your calories are in the right range (both meal timing and macro distribution are matters of preference)

With only 40 pounds to lose, you should probably be eating at about a 500 calorie deficit and losing about a pound a week. With your activity level, I'm going to guess that would put you around 2000 to 2500 (follow MFP's guidelines or use a TDEE calculator). Losing too quickly (a pound a day, for example) will almost definitely ensure that you lose muscle with the fat, which you don't want. Going with a more moderate deficit and slower loss will help you maintain muscle, so you'll look better and be healthier at your goal weight. (Exercise, especially proper lifting, is also good for muscle maintenance)
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    aint you better with cals up and build muscle than no cals and low metabolism.?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1500 calories is a bit low for a man... I lose 1 lb per week and I am 5'11, 32 year old, 180 lbs, desk job and exercise 5 to 6 days a week and lose 1 lb at 2300 to 2500. Having said that, since you just started, you will lose a lot of water weight and depend on carb level, you will deplete glycogen/water.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I think mish-moshing different principals from different dieting styles aren't going to help you much. I think you'd benefit from a more focused program, so think about what your goals are.

If you don't have a problem with Insulin Resistance, skip the low carb thing.

Also, 1500 cal/day sounds low, though it would depend on how much fat you have to lose.

I'm a 46 yr old woman, 5' tall & 126# and to maintain my weight, at my current activity level, is about 2000 cal/day.

Choose an exercise that you like & will be able to keep up with even after you've reached goal weight & formulate your diet to support it.

Good luck.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Your doing fine, don't worry about it. Possibly take a multi vitamin supplement. I had a similar experience. Starting out at 350 lbs., I lost 10lbs the first week and then 2-2.5 lbs a week for 5 months. It slowed down around 60 lbs. The 1st week was mostly toxic liquid (Wouldn't call it water) I was pissing out a gallon per night. I am doing moderate exercise and eating about 1300-1500 calories of healthy foods like lots of veggies, 4oz portions of protein, less carbs, I did cut out practically all sugar and processed foods. Bottom line is the first 60 was easy, now I'm losing about 1lb a week. This seems common with a lot of people.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    as others have already mentioned, 1500 calories is nowhere near enough for you. that's lower than maintenance for me, and i'm a 5' 3.5" woman. chances are your body is burning muscle, and since muscle is what burns calories, your body will not only lose muscle but will use less calories.

eating low carb is pointless unless you have diabetes, and will make it harder for you to fuel your workouts and give you daily energy. we're designed to eat and use carbs, and complex carbs like oats, rice, wheat, barley are excellent energy sources. athletes eat 'em, bodybuilders eat lots of them except right before a contest.

eating after 9 won't make you gain weight - focus on daily overall calories. i have been losing weight steadily for months, and i have a bowl of cereal just before bed almost every night.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Definitely too low on the calories. It's great that you're losing, but you're killing your metabolism for the future.

Up your caloric intake so you're not setting yourself up for trouble down the road.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Definitely too low on the calories. It's great that you're losing, but you're killing your metabolism for the future.

That's impossible.
  • CigBock
    CigBock Posts: 12
    Options
    What is healthy?

Stick to what you're doing because you feel fine. Reap the reward because you will burn out soon and most likely have to take 3-4 days off and up your cals to 1800.

Or maybe not. Weight and seeee
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Most people replying haven't seen your OP properly. If you are only 40 pounds overweight you should not be losing this fast. I am worried you have an underlying condition. It could also have an effect on your appetite. Please have a full health check.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's possible with a 35000 calorie deficit per day--this assuming that you eat nothing, exercise like crazy, and your metabolism doesn't slow.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing & measuring your food, and logging everything, even drinks like that beer in your picture?

I am a 5'4" 41 yr old woman, and I have been losing @ 1/2 lb per week eating 1600 ish cals per day. Today I had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and sped right past my calorie goal!

Losing a lb a day is not healthy, if it isn't water weight (which I hope it is) you are probably losing a fair amount of muscle at that pace.

There is no reason to restrict your food so severely and no reason to lose the weight so fast. Honestly, if it isn't water weight, I would suggest getting a checkup to be on the safe side.

Good luck and stay healthy!
  • xxEAGLExx
    Options
    The fastest cutting cycle I did was 20 lbs in 1 month and was probably too fast.

If you were previously taking any supplements with creatine, they will make you
    retain 5+ lbs of extra water weight that will disappear quickly once you stop taking it.

For 1 month I'd say it's alright, but should slow down to 4-6 lbs a month after that.

1500 Calories is a bit low as well, I'd try upping it closer to 2k

Make sure you're getting enough water.. with that much jogging I'd
    expect you to be drinking at least a gallon a day.