How bad are eggs?

Options

Replies

• schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How bad are eggs? Depends how old they are.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not a massive fan of eggs, but they're good for you from what I've read. On occasion I'll have 2 scrambled eggs with 2 pieces of wholemeal toast for lunch and it holds me over until dinner.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about cholesterol/fat intake you can always eliminate a few yolks. I usually have 3 egg whites in the morning in an omelet and cook up the yolks for my dog. It's 16 cal, 3.6g protein, 0.1g fat per egg white.

^^^ This is great advice. Depending on where I am with my macros I'll eat whole eggs. If I've already met my healthy fat goals for the day I just remove the yolk and eat the whites.

Here's what the Harvard School of Public Health has to say about eggs & cholesterol:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,015 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about cholesterol/fat intake you can always eliminate a few yolks. I usually have 3 egg whites in the morning in an omelet and cook up the yolks for my dog. It's 16 cal, 3.6g protein, 0.1g fat per egg white.

^^^ This is great advice. Depending on where I am with my macros I'll eat whole eggs. If I've already met my healthy fat goals for the day I just remove the yolk and eat the whites.

Here's what the Harvard School of Public Health has to say about eggs & cholesterol:

Just keep in mind that Harvard is bias towards a plant diet.
  • CigBock
    CigBock Posts: 12
    Options
    Nutrition studies operates on shaky foundations. Humans are idiots and this is why I am a cyborg. Current facts are proven wrong in the upcoming years.

Unless you have severe cholestrol issues that would warrant the reduction of even good cholesterol such as eggs -- disregard your concerns.

I've eaten 4 yolks per day for the past 6 years straight without missing a single day.

I am still alive
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    But guys...Dat is a lot of eggs per week! 25-30 eggs? I guess if your MFP buddies say it's okay, it's okay.
  • 2bopeep3251
    Options
    I love eggs too. when I eat them, I usually eat 3 egg whites, one whole egg. Still yummy, w/o a lot of caloriies
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

And...? Harvard provides both pros and cons in their discussion and links to the studies that have been done (both good and bad). Hard to find a more unbiased opinion than one providing science from both sides of the fence...?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good. Most cholesterol is actually made in our livers.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Lucky dog:bigsmile: who gets only the best!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    God made the eggs,,,,,,,,,,so there.

Actually chickens made the eggs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    eggs are my go to breakfast food, to get calories in protein to start my day, the problem is im kind of worried that i eat too many of them. maybe 4-6 days a week (give or take) ill have eggs, and ill eat 4-6 of them (seems like alot i know)

so anywhere from 16-36 a week (id have to say around 25 is the average) what i normally eat.

now ive lost 110 lbs this year since February, and this is a consistent thing, but ofcourse as i get thinner im worried about my heart health, etc. I dont wanna be thin then have all these issue so im wondering if maybe i should stop eating them and find something else or trim back a bit, or just keep pace. Any good insight is welcome

So you think eggs are worse for you than carrying 110lbs?

I buy eggs by the five dozen and generally eat 4 whole jumbo eggs every morning for breakfast. My bloodwork is perfect.

Why would eggs worry you about your heart? Dietary cholesterol in no way effects your blood cholesterol readings.

A few bits of reading for you

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz3FBkBGLRP

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/#axzz3FBkj8hyA

If it's not broke, don't fix it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    But guys...Dat is a lot of eggs per week! 25-30 eggs? I guess if your MFP buddies say it's okay, it's okay.

I eat four a morning every single day. Works for me. I'm down 30 lbs with probably another 50 to go. It's relatively low calorie and keeps me filled for at least 3.5 hours.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I eat four a morning every single day. Works for me. I'm down 30 lbs with probably another 50 to go. It's relatively low calorie and keeps me filled for at least 3.5 hours.

True. I actually eat the same thing all the time so I shouldn't talk. Congrats! May I ask, do you fry them every day? with oil?
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i scramble my eggs, but i use the pam spray on a non stick frypan, wow maybe i was wrong, i was worried i was eating way too many and i was in danger smh.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! Only reason there is any concern about eggs is because of the Cholesterol in the yolk. But eggs in a whole are very healthy! I consider it a staple food in my diet! You should try 2 eggs & 2 tbsp cottage cheese scrambled together...yum!
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    nope..eggs made the chicken :smile:
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

but the yolk is the best part..:smile:
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options

but the yolk is the best part..:smile:

And the most nutritious.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,015 Member
    Options

And...? Harvard provides both pros and cons in their discussion and links to the studies that have been done (both good and bad). Hard to find a more unbiased opinion than one providing science from both sides of the fence...?
    Really? I found those studies quite bias...........they actually weren't really studies but more about association in regards to lifestyle......epidemiology, which has never ever drawn any conclusive proof for anything. Now if you want to post double and triple blind random control trials, that might mean something.