Two Kinds of Fat People

Options

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I love the breakfast club and don't forget the character who said it was kind of an A hole!
  • elizabethkvenegas
    Options
    @ValGogo Your response was more along the lines of what I was questioning (not destiny vs. choice, although that's a good topic, too).

It seems to me some people view their weigh gain as temporary...just a phase they are going through. Like college kids who "experiment." They see themselves as thin people stuck in a fat person's body.

Then there are others who identify as "fat." It's embedded in their personality and their choices. And some people immerse themselves into "fat culture" with their own set of norms, beliefs, and values.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of fat people.

There's the kind that decide they don't want to be fat anymore and do something about it.
    And there's the kind that stay fat.

How that got that way is completely irrelevant and none of your business. Don't make someone's type, past or genetics another hurdle for them to deal with. It's hard enough as it is.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What about "was skinny as a kid, got athletic, got fat, got fit, remained BAMF"?

Baby you're the baddest mutherfuker I know!

:heart: thank you!
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are no fat folks, but maybe they are just way fluffy. Now, get rid of fast food, rediscover walking, and if you can a bicycle. Most bikes hang in garages for years, just check it out..
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    As for the topic at hand, I don't believe there is anyone destined to be fat. It's all about the choices we made/make, whether intentional or not.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I don't agree.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    page 4 is to long to wait

S9SoAA2.gif
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The ability to pile on the fat during periods of plenty and burn it during lean times is a survival feature of many creatures, humans included. It is part of our evolution. If we were still in the stone age, many of those people who did not stack on the weight during summer and autumn would die in winter. This means that people who put on fat easily are, under stone age circumstances, the survival superior to those who do not. The problem is that the lean times of the stone age no longer occur every year and the accumulated fat is not burned off. And, like it or not, genetically we are still in the stone age.

Then we have the situation where the human body undergoes changes as we age. In the mid to late twenties, most humans finally stop growing and a change occurs in the hormonal balance. This predisposes most of us to put on weight more easily. Then there are others who never seem to put on weight. Not all of this is due to self-discipline. Some people's hormonal balance stays "young" and their body processes calories differently making it easier for them to keep their weight down. I have two sons in their early thirties. One watches what he eats all the time and struggles to keep his weight under control. The other eats everything that comes within arm's length and never puts on a kilo.

I despair when I read young people saying how easy it is for them to keep their weight down when they haven't even stopped growing yet. Wait until you are in your mid-thirties before you assess your weight-maintaining abilities. When I was 26, I was 50Kg (under my minimum according to BMI) and I ate about 7000 calories per day (no joke). I could not put on weight no matter what. At 28 I was in the high 70KGs and only eating in the 2500 calorie region.

So how do we combat the continual plenty and bodily changes problems? We could simulate the stone age and starve ourselves during winter. No thanks! I don't think that many of us would come at that. Or we could simulate lean times permanently by limiting our food intake. A much more acceptable technique I think.

What I am saying is that there are those of us for whom fat accumulation is easier than others and that this ease of accumulation can change. We are all different but the solution is the same - match what comes in to what goes out.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think "destined" is too strong a word. Are there varying genetics and family habits? Absolutely.

That said, you get to decide how you're going to live. You can get educated about health and fitness, and find the goals and tactics that work best for YOU.

And, while you can't magically drop weight by "thinking thin," you CAN help yourself by having a good attitude. Example: you can beat yourself up for being overweight and for not having found the right food/exercise combo. (I failed AGAIN)
    OR
    You can choose to look at yourself as a fit person who's on her way to her goal (adjust pronoun to fit, obv). If you have a positive image of yourself (fit & healthy, just carrying some extra weight right now. Not in PR shape just YET)...then you will tend to act like that image - you'll park a little further away. Not kick yourself for a so-so workout -- hey, you DID work out! Okay, not eating after 8pm doesn't seem to be a good strategy for YOU. Maybe next month you'll try veggies w/every meal instead. It's an experiment and you're making little improvements & adjustments all the time!

You take the long view and know you'll get there.

And if you know you're carrying LOTS of extra weight right now...you read about how to work with a body carrying that much extra weight. Because you KNOW it's not always gonna be so and just need the information and support to get through this phase. Because that's all it is - a phase. (I guess you could wallow in it, but WHY? Life is short - be the best YOU!)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The only way you become fat is to eat too much. Even people with a family history of obesity are not destined to become fat. Fat is not genetic.

AFAA Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    Licensed Zumba Instructor
    Five years as a Health Professional
    20 year background in human engineering
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life. I'm only 20, and can't remember a time I was a healthy weight. Even as a child I was overweight, bar at 14 when I joined weight watchers. While I don't think anyone is "destined" to be fat, there are people who just have slow metabolisms and it's a somewhat predetermined thing. My whole family has been overweight, and so am I. I think it's more genetics than many people say.
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also, I think it's all attitude. You can wish to be skinny all you want, but until something snaps you're not going to work at it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Definitely not the skinny person who became fat. I was only "skinny" until age four. Since then I've always been chubby, plump, or morbidly obese. Only in the past six months or so have I become very close to normal/average and I am almost 38.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What about third kind of fat people? Fat all your life but then become fit? :)
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I read most answers here with great interest. I believe that eating habits are passed on from learned behavior, but also from genetics. If you are the +2, +3, or +4 generation of obese parents (even with just one parent obese) it will become genetic, as shown in lab tests in mice. It is called mutation - your fat cells and how fat is processed and stored will change.

Then, also bad habits are learned from parents, children copy their parents. I see it every day, how my son uses words, phrases and behaviors from his fathers, since he wants to be like him (he is just 6). As someone else stated that certain way of cooking, celebrating meals and snacking between meals was taught by the family (the one who was raised by a large italian family). It became habit to her until she figured that others are eating different and educated herself.

If you the only one in your family you may be overeating, have depression, need comfort, have stress, lack of sleep/rest or sleep apnea, lack of/ lack to exercise.....

As someone else stated, some people with the same genetic pool (siblings) may have different metabolism (one can eat what they want while the other one struggles with calculated calorie input).

Yes, and there is the others....who are fat and just don't give a dam about it, while the others got the "wake up" and struggle to get back in shape.

As a child I was thin, but I don't believe because of my genetics, but because we didn't get enough food. Sometimes we were so hungry that we picked the oats out of the dog food, when our parents weren't watching. While they ate as much as they wanted, we children were rationed by age and I haven't figured out, by what means they calculated that.
    As a young adult, when I started to care for myself and made my own living, I swore myself that I will never go hungry again.....well, now I have to "starve" (meant ironically) limit my calorie input to not become obese as my birth mother. She is the example/motivation for me to keep exercising and staying fit, so I don't end up like her. By the way she is the +2 generation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    The movie quote is silly and is a sneering attempt at mild abuse. There are people who are more prone to becoming fat because they are wired differently to others. For some of us its an addiction and you can't use abstinence as a way to get over it. Unless you've lived with it, you probably can't understand. That's why the majority of personal trainers (who are well motivated) cant grasp the problem in the first place.
    Wired in what way? Calorie surplus and deficit work for ANYONE who isn't suffering from a health/hormone issue. Sorry, but I don't buy it. Doing this for professionally for more than 16 years, I've taken the same people you've mentioned and helped them attain and sustain a normal weight. I just got them to think different about themselves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    the breakfast club is a bad movie.

i wouldnt base my views of people on quotes from 80's teen films, especially those with molly ringwald. they almost always end in a makeover changing everything.... and center around changing to suit other poeple.

when you say destined, do you mean destined to happen or do you mean destined to continue until death?

there are two kinds of destiny. that which happens no matter what you do, and that which happens no matter how much you try to change it.

however, weight is caused by action and can be avoided, and can also be rememdied. therefore it cant be destined.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I am a person who started off thin, became fat, and have lost it back off. I became fat through two reasons. One is hypothyroidism, which is now properly medicated, and the other reason is eating disordered behavior that came from .... let's just say messed up things occurring during formative years.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When I look at this sort of question I like to turn it on its head first to see if that helps. So: are there two types of skinny person, those who physically can't be heavy and those who can? The answer, at least according to a study conducted for TV, was that, forced to over eat, the vast majority of skinny people gained weight. Some found it very hard and very distasteful to over eat, but only one actually over ate and completely failed to gain. Any extra calories he ate, his body burned off somehow. So, there are two types of skinny person.

Does that mean there must be two types of fat person? I don't think so. Why? Because the body can't make anything from nothing. If a body is forced to, it will, surely, live off its fat stores. If there are no excess calories there can be no excess body, surely. Many factors, including genetics, affect the rates at which calories are burnt and fat is stored, but they are still rates, not absolutes.

So, I think most of us fit on a spectrum of gain and a spectrum of loss for a number of different reasons. You may gain easily and find it hard to lose, but it's not always so obvious. Personally, I need a lot of calories to gain but I am more than capable of eating a lot of calories. I have never found it hard to lose weight, but I've done so numerous times. There are many variations, and while I've seen research to suggest some may never gain, I have never seen proof that anyone physically can't lose and is therefore destined to be fat.