Trying to find the correct maintenance level

Just wondering, now that i will be trying to find my maintenance level, my original goals from six months ago are still the numbers I am working with. Today I tried 1200, so nervous about this. So I was really close to my calorie goal, but my fat and carbs went up they were 20 over on carbs and fats were 26 over with protien as usual way behind and low at 41 way off from the recommended 75. If I'm taking my calories upward shouldn't I be going the same with carbs, fat and yes protien?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I am very confused. Did you increase your calories to 1200?
  • Just wondering, now that i will be trying to find my maintenance level, my original goals from six months ago are still the numbers I am working with. Today I tried 1200, so nervous about this. So I was really close to my calorie goal, but my fat and carbs went up they were 20 over on carbs and fats were 26 over with protien as usual way behind and low at 41 way off from the recommended 75. If I'm taking my calories upward shouldn't I be going the same with carbs, fat and yes protien?

Me too ... I'm rather confused also.

I have never heard of anyone's total caloric intake to go below 1200 calories a day unless you are really, REALLY, REALLY, short.

I'm 4'10" and my daily caloric intake during the losing phase was 1200 so it worries me that you are just NOW going up to 1200. I'm hoping it is a typo.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Yes I have. Brought my calories up to 1200, so I'm asking where do I find the fat protien and other macros can be used for 1200 calories. And am not familiar as how to go about this.
  • Adpalangi
    Yes I did, wasn't what my goal was, but my body is telling me 30 enough. So I would like to stay between 109 and 113.. I guess depending what my body is telling me. Can anyone just point me in the right direction to give me a new reading. Thanks again!
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Some people have had bariatric surgery and cannot eat 1200, some eat 600-800 cals. Some people are using wheelchairs and do not burn anywhere near what the generic equations of MFP suggest, but burn much less, there we eat less. You have now heard of 2 reasons why people would eat below 1200 cals a day.
  • Diet242
    Diet242 Posts: 21 Member
    Eating cheese, cottage cheese, peanut butter, avocados, nuts, beans, fruits, vegetable, dairy, tuna, turkey, lean meats, bagels...these are all packed with protein, fat & carbs maybe age and height as to why maintaining at 1200?
  • Adpalangi
    Thank u so much. Might just print this and use it for my grocery shopping.
  • Adpalangi
    Really sorry , but do not understand what is it your trying to tell me. Can u try again?
  • Adpalangi
    Really sorry , but do not understand what is it your trying to tell me. Can u try again?
  • Diet242
    I was just suggesting foods that are higher in protein add some fruits and vegetable with lean meats. Maybe you get your carbs from pasta I don't know but I know pasta is high calorie high carbs. I'm always high for protein but lower fats. My diet isn't perfect
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    If I understand your question, you are trying to find the breakdown of fat, protein and carb for 1200 calories. The RDA recommends 30% fat, 20% protein, 50% carb.
  • Diet242
    If I'm taking my calories upward shouldn't I be going the same with carbs, fat and yes protien?

It all will depend in what you eat. If I want to get my calorie up and have room for the fat I have a peanut butter sandwich. If I'm having a good size salad for dinner I'll add cottage cheese for protein. If I have a few hundred calories extra I'll add nuts for fat&protein. If I'm having a large calorie dinner I'll have tuna salaThetd for lunch, low cal&fat but high protein etc....
  • Maintenance Calories will be at least: [12 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [5 x age (years)] - 161

Many people just use 12 x weight in lbs for base Calories.

Try to keep protein between 0.6 and 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass.
    I like to keep carbs as low as possible when trying to lose and close to 150g/day on maintenance.
    If you are doing serious training you may want to up those numbers, but for most of us they
    work out alright.
    If I understand your question, you are trying to find the breakdown of fat, protein and carb for 1200 calories. The RDA recommends 30% fat, 20% protein, 50% carb.
    I wouldn't recommend the RDA..