Weigh more the day after a hard workout?

Options
I'm noticing a trend and hoping someone can shed some light for me -- for one or two days after I do a tough circuit training workout with my trainer, I weigh a couple more pounds. And I'm talking 60-minute, bust your butt, sweat through your clothes, one second from barfing, burn 700+ calories kind of workout... The kind of workout that your body aches from for two days, every muscle is sore and you can barely walk kind of workout.

No change in food, no change in water, nada.

So I had always heard that lactic acid builds up in your muscles and I thought that was what is going on... but current research is showing that lactic acid is cleared from your muscles 30 - 60 minutes after a workout. So, what gives?

Gotta say I find it really discouraging when I had a great workout and great eating day and I weigh MORE when I step on the scale!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's water retention to repair your muscles. It's normal and will go away.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need water for repair. When you stress them in a new or particularly strenuous way, they retain more water than usual. Voila--instant water weight!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Don't scare yourself it basically means you worked hard your muscles need to repair the weight is definitely water weight give it up to 5 days and weigh again or everyday its up to you
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    all above posters are spot-on correct. Relax it's normal :)
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It will come off and then some! Don't worry!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Its just water retention - it will drop off in a day or so. Keep going!
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    GetSlimEquestrian Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Fluid retention in your muscles. If you're sore, your muscles are holding fluid, which can temporarily add up to 5 pounds to your weight.
  • mommy2626
    mommy2626 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This literally was me today!!! I worked it hard yesterday and ate pretty well. Def way under my calorie expenditure!! anyway, today was up 2 pounds!! WHAT?? sodium or water?? and how long will it last? I was supposed to rest today since it was such a big workout yesterday but I had to run this morning once I saw that:) lol!!
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I think it's common.

I panicked and almost cried (lame, I know) when I was quite literally suddenly 5 or 6 pounds heavier the day after a massive thigh and leg and bum workout class (worked myself way too hard and was stiff to the point I couldn't bend down or walk down the stairs or even walk properly for days after due to the muscle aches and pains…not good!).

So it makes lots of sense people saying muscles need water to repair. Mine were so worked and painful that no wonder I weighed almost half a stone heavier the next day!
  • alazio
    alazio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR EXPLAINING THIS! I had some shin pain recently and laid off of running for 5 days. Every morning of of the 5 days off, I had a good to great weigh-in. Yesterday I resumed training, and like others made no change in my diet, and woke up this morning to be 2.3 pounds up. I had been giddy to get on the scale because I'm really close to a weight loss milestone I've been reaching for. GAH!! I was sooooo deflated. But now I feel like maybe everything is cool.