What can I realistically achieve in 16 weeks?

Options
I've got 3 stone (42lb) to lose in total, how much is a realistic goal for 16 weeks away? I have a ten year uni reunion then and I'd like to be considerably slimmer than I am now.
I'm on thyroxine for hypothyroidism and am taking Olanzapine which includes rapid weight gain as it's main side affect (I've gained 2 stone in six months)

Replies

• joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it's easily doable. I lost roughly 100 pounds in that time period.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    0.5-1 lb per week is a very realistic goal. If you do some intense exercise, you will see a lot of inches lost with that weight as well. Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Probably between 16 & 20 lbs. If you go about it in a reasonably healthy way. And plan on continuing post reunion to achieve your goal weight at some point in the future. Took me a year to lose 30 lbs. (170-140)
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    At max, if following a 2 lb per week goal, 32 pounds (though I think 32 is probably excessive in that time frame). Exercise and weight training will help, sticking to your macros, etc. Easily 16 pounds though. Definitely a possibility to lose a bit more in that time frame. Could be possible to hit your goal, but I wouldn't risk your health to achieve the goal. Best of luck!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The first month you could probably easily lose 2 pounds per week, the second month, maybe close to 1.5, and the third and fourth 1/wk. That would be close to 26 lbs over 4 months? That's what I'm holding at, 7 weeks in. I set my MFP at a relaxed .5 loss per week, but then exercise on top of that, and only eat back a small amount of the exercise calories. But I never ever eat less than 1300 calories per day, and bump that minimum to 1400 if I spend an hour at the gym. I figure that way, I'm never beating myself up about eating few enough calories to try to achieve 2 lbs a week, which is very difficult after the first month unless you have a LOT of weight to lose.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm not expecting to be at goal by then but it's nice to have a goal in mind to push towards. I appreciate your responses.
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I find that when I have a tangible goal in mind (like your reunion), you can really push yourself hard for a period of time. If I were in the same position, I'd set a goal of losing 2 lbs/week. You can go about this through eating healthy and exercising regularly.

I don't know how experienced you are in tracking calories (both in and out), but this forum is a great resource. I'd just caution you to make sure you are logging every single calorie you eat (down to breath mints, and the oil you cook with which are often forgotten), and accurately tracking calories burned with a heart rate monitor. Again, look for posts on this on the forum if you have questions.

Good luck to you in meeting you goals, and I hope you rock your reunion! :-)
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in 16 weeks. It was a lot of work in regards to commitment to eating at a calorie deficient and working out. I started at 262lbs and I'm 5'11". Everyone's journey is different. Good luck!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    by Joshpass

What?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not knowing what you weigh, I'd say you probably won't get there, but might as well try! If you work really hard - diet and exercise, eat healthy foods. Be consistent about it.

My advice to everyone on olanzapine and similar drugs is to work out EVERY day, shower EVERY day and get outside at least once EVERY day, even if it's just to get the mail, but if you can, go for a walk (even a short one.)

I have thyroid problems, too. Well, I have no thyroid anymore, lol, but that comes with problems! :) Between the thyroid and the olanzapine, you have your work cut out for you, but even if you lose really slowly, you will still lose.

Best of luck!
  • joshpass
    Options
    what don't you understand? I lost 160 pounds total and i had lost probably 100 pounds in 16 weeks. something like that anyways. I wasn't trying to loose crazy amount of weight, it just came off easily since I was exercising and eating less. Looking back, I wouldn't had done it that fast but at that time, I had no clue about anything like I do now. regardless, she OP can do it as it is possible.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is realistic.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I once lost the last twenty pounds in twelve weeks. I ate 1500 - 1600 calories a day, 70 - 120 grams of protein a day, 20 minutes of HIIT three times a week, and lifting major muscles gradually getting heavier three time a week. Then I stopped and gained it all back over the next three years:)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Only the super obese, or those that are accustomed to eating 4 to 7 calories a day are capable of peeling off weight fast (at first) as they are put on less than 1500 calories per day. But the more weight they lose the slower it comes off. And it typically happens with super obese people who have had weight loss surgery.

It's not rocket science, it's just simple math.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The first month you could probably easily lose 2 pounds per week, the second month, maybe close to 1.5, and the third and fourth 1/wk. That would be close to 26 lbs over 4 months?
    This is reasonable.
    I lost 160 pounds total and i had lost probably 100 pounds in 16 weeks
    That's more than 6 lb per week on average. Not healthy, probably not even for someone who started out several hundred lbs overweight & was closely supervised by a doctor.

• joshpass
    Options
    The first month you could probably easily lose 2 pounds per week, the second month, maybe close to 1.5, and the third and fourth 1/wk. That would be close to 26 lbs over 4 months?
    This is reasonable.
    I lost 160 pounds total and i had lost probably 100 pounds in 16 weeks
    That's more than 6 lb per week on average. Not healthy, probably not even for someone who started out several hundred lbs overweight & was closely supervised by a doctor.

i don't disagree. if you read my post, i said exactly that. at the time, I was just simply exercising and eating when hungry. I wasn't tired or felt like I was depriving myself of food or exercising too much or anything. turns out, i was in way too much of a deficit. But I didn't know anything about that at the time. I'm obviously not like that now. I do a max of 15% deficit if I want to cut a bit, otherwise, I pretty much stay at TDEE maintenance as I've been at my "normal" weight for years now.

but yes, to be safe, a max of 2 pounds a week is good.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I'd say between a lb and 2 lbs a week on average, so between 16 and 32 lbs.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    by Joshpass

What?

His incredibly thin girlfriend left him after a 16 week fling.

Hence, the loss of 100 pounds in 16 weeks. :drinker:
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm @125 days and 44 lbs down, but it depends on how overweight you are to begin with.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose a maximum of 2 pounds per week. Anything more and you will lose your mind. And you may end up with gall stones and kidney stones. If that happens you will gain the weight back.