Trouble getting into ketosis

Options
Hi. I have been on and off (mostly on) a low carb diet for over a year now. I have blown it but gone right back. I eat about 1400 calories a day or less and only about 10 g carbs right now. I've been religiously trying to get back to full ketosis and losing weight. for some reason, I can't seem to get into ketosis. I've only been eating veggies and lean meats like chicken and turkey. The only carbs I've had in a week are three croutons on my salad twice this week. The only other carbs I've had besides the complex carbs in the veggies is 2 g in my salad dressing, and that's it. I regularly check for ketones and they are negative. I finally had a trace amount for two days, but then had half an orange and I'm negative again. Is there a possible health reason that I'm not achieving this? I have always taken longer to achieve ketosis than my friends who diet with me, but this is ridiculous. I can't even have any fruit.

Replies

• das0nz
    das0nz Posts: 8
    Options
    watching with interest. im struggling to get in to ketosis myself. have been low carb for 2 months and bugger all lost. ive come back to MFP to help watch my carb and sugar intake.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Ask your question here at the keto group we have on MFP.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto
    It took me about 2 days to get into ketosis and whenever I've "cheated" and kicked myself out, i get back to ketosis within a day. Do you exercise? That helps to burn any stored glycogen getting you into ketosis faster too.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When you eat low carb for long periods, your body will produce different types of ketones that the sticks can't read. Just keep tracking your macros and calories and you should get your results!
  • donnazang
    donnazang Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've been really religious about it for a month now. I am finally showing moderate ketones. I went to a wedding today and resisted the cake while serving it. :)
    I am new to anything other than tracking my caloric/nutrient intake, so thanks for the advice about where to post questions.
    Good luck
    Blessings,
    Donna
  • donnazang
    Options
    I recently started walking. Before that I was sedentary for about two weeks after a hip and knee injury. Prior to my injury I was doing circuit training.
  • xxEAGLExx
    Options
    Complex carbs are still carbs..

Eating too much protein can kick you out of ketosis as well..
    0.6 to 1.0g per pound of lean body mass

Ketosis and low fat don't go together.. As carbs go down fats must go up.
  • donnazang
    Options
    Actually, I've been watching fat and cholesterol as well as carbs. I don't eat ground beef, but ground turkey. I eat chicken rather than steak.
  • caseyjmc
    caseyjmc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My problem was that I was watching fat. I started showing increased ketone levels when I began eating less protein and a lot of healthy fat (butter, coconut oil, sour cream, cream cheese, olive oil, etc.). Anytime I eat more than 20 grams of protein in a meal, ketosis drops. That has been the key for me, along with keeping carbs at 20 grams of mostly leafy greens loaded with olive oil and a bit of vinegar.