"making it up"

Options
you guys ever go to the gym with not enough time in the day, like you woke way too late and have work in a hour?

3-5 times a month this can happen to me and it sucks. i like to work 75 mins on the elliptical, but sometimes ill only have time to 45, maybe 65 mins if im lucky and then its off to work =/

but the next day when i have more time, ill stay in the gym longer to make it up for yesterday.

a good example is last night i only worked out for 45 mins, but right after work and went to work out for almost 2 hrs, to even things out.

how many of you guys do that?

Replies

• JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump... :yawn:
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will do that, but I am more likely to kick up the intensity of my workout for the amount of time that I have for that day. For example, increasing the ramp level and resistance on the elliptical or trying to go a farther distance in less time on the elliptical.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Negative. One day at a time for me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I don't "make up" exercise because exercise is for fitness, not weight loss. So if I can't do it, I can't do it. No big deal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I had to meet a number...I don't know what. I don't eat or exercise to a number.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Not me.

But I dont go to gyms at all. :wink:
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't do this with exercise, but I do this with calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My gym is quite far away so I'm only there three or four days a week. One session is 3 hours and the others are two hours long, so in a sense I'm making up for "missed" days. I do see the point of trying to hit a certain number of cardio hours since that contributes to the total deficit and can help meet your weekly target
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    75 minutes on the elliptical......no....
  • JVClubs
    Options

why not?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm with this. That sounds like torture to me, but to each their own.

But to answer the question, no. If I miss exercise one day or another, I don't obsess on it or try to make it up. Just start where I left off. I do do this sometimes with food though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

why not?

Why so long? You would probably burn more and get your heart rate up higher if you did intervals for 30 minutes. But this is coming from someone who hates cardio and truly believes that unless you are some kind of athlete and know how to get serious burns, you're not doing much for yourself with a ton of cardio.

Edited to stay on topic..I KIND of do that. I don't stress about it but I'll work hard or try to make up some cardio on Saturday if I didn't get much in during the week.
  • JVClubs
    Options

why not?

Why so long? You would probably burn more and get your heart rate up higher if you did intervals for 30 minutes. But this is coming from someone who hates cardio and truly believes that unless you are some kind of athlete and know how to get serious burns, you're not doing much for yourself with a ton of cardio.

Edited to stay on topic..I KIND of do that. I don't stress about it but I'll work hard or try to make up some cardio on Saturday if I didn't get much in during the week.

bulk of my workout is cardio but ive GOT way more weight to lose then u do maam. ill do 60 mins, break and then do 15 more to finish after i lift weights.

i hate coming up short on workouts, sometimes ill make it up by skipping a meal, but i think this more efficient
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I get it. The numbers when it comes to pounds to lose make a difference...kind of. To each his own! Skipping a meal though...I don't get it. If you're short on a workout can you not afford the calories for dinner?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't. Last year (before my 2nd pregnancy) the bulk of my workouts were 20 - 45 mins (max). I did mostly circuit training and aimed to hit 10,000 steps at least 5 days a week.

I only started working out again on 9/11. This year however I started a DVD program where the workouts range from 49-81 mins. The longest workout (81 mins) dvd is a Circuit DVD and I'm not able to actually complete it yet. I find it is a lot harder to keep a high intensity through these workouts. For the first 3 weeks there was an hour long Cardio DVD 2 x a week and the circuit DVD in the middle. For the next 6 weeks, the Cardio DVD isn't being used. I'm supposed to do the Circuit DVD 2x a week and the rest of the days are various strength training DVDs. The last 3 weeks, some of the DVD's are going to be doubled up (2 hr workout days...can't wait :grumble: ).

However, these workouts wipe me out. I can't imagine doubling up just because I missed a day.