Are you a screamer?

Options
Phaedra2014
Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
Lately, at the gym, there's been at least one woman (in the free weights section and/or in a fitness class) who turns out to be a screamer. It's never the same woman but there is always one of them.

They emit these loud WHOOOs or YEAAAAHs or AHHHHs...and it's for what? Doing squats with 8 lb weights in each hand :ohwell:

Yes I know I should be minding my own business but I don't particularly enjoy screamos at the gym or in a fitness class. I don't understand it.

There was one this morning as well, and man, she was LOUD. People were turning around to see what the problem was but she was just in her own world. The guys grunt when they lift really heavy weights and, oddly enough, that's easy to tune out. But whooping women are just different.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I recommend Songza or Spotify.
  • bossbabewithcake
    bossbabewithcake Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lol that's crazy
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Thought this was gonna be about something else.

:huh:
  • osmium3
    osmium3 Posts: 33
    Options
    Is this directed at the ladies of MFP exclusively?

If not then I had a lifting partner that started every supine bench work set uttering the pseudo-words: Su-Su-Jahts. Thankfully, he was silent other than that.

I have only uttered any sort of sound--other than blowing air during a heavy squat, or deadlift set when doing a maximum effort single. Then I may grunt, or swear. But my swearing can only be heard by my spotters. I am not a loud grunter. It is likely that only my spotters and interested onlookers ever hear my verbal announcements of a max. effort single.

Women in the gym tend to be pretty silent. I am most likely if spotting one to offer words of encouragement that are warmly received by all members. But then, I am in stoic NH where displays of odd noises that rise above the ambient noise in the gym are met with single-eyebrow-raised curiousness.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I usually train at home so it doesn't really matter but I'm usually fairly quiet except my loud music and plates slamming. But I sometimes do powerlifting competitions and obstacle mud runs and occasionally yell, grunt or whatever. I did the Spartan Sprint a couple of months ago, couldn't help but yell obscenities after almost every obstacle. lol
  • bevhillsilly
    bevhillsilly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey, you gotta lift that weight some how...I don't mind if people are making noise, gasping, groaning,swearing, if they are really, seriously working. I try to stay as quiet as I can at the gym (not always successful by the last rep) but you probably wouldn't want to play tennis with me...
  • misslynn1976
    Options
    I workout at home right now but When I was going to a gym I would hear the occasional screamer, made it hard to focus. I too thought this post was gonna be about something else lol. I'm not a screamer while working out, and we'll leave it at that:wink:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when people do this at the gym, either gender. And it's usually doing something like 15# arm curls. It feels like they're trying to draw attention to themselves and show off. Not impressed. I also hate it when I'm in the middle of a big lift and the yells distract me and throw off my balance.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when people do this at the gym, either gender. And it's usually doing something like 15# arm curls. It feels like they're trying to draw attention to themselves and show off. Not impressed. I also hate it when I'm in the middle of a big lift and the yells distract me and throw off my balance.
    Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.
    :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a grunter myself, but yeah, that would be annoying.
  • Mikel423
    Mikel423 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, the screaming or grunting is one of my pet peeves...especially when the grunting is not substantiated by the amount of weights haha
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Elizabethgulick93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's why I joined Planet Fitness lol. If someone did that, they'd "lunk alarm" them!
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Thought this was gonna be about something else.

:huh:

^ Me too! :tongue:
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at the gym. :noway: :noway:
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Well besides swimming, most of my workouts are done at home. I definitely talk back to the screen when it gets rough but no, not a screamer :laugh:
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I prefer grunting.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I call Jillian Michaels names, sometimes loudly, but I'm at home with no one around but the cats and dog. So...
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Totally misleading topic title ...