What have I done?! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm for the increase. I know at 1420 my energy decreased so I changed my settings to sedentary with 5x 30 minutes a week exercise. Brought my calories back up to 1640. My BMR was 1548-1576. I'm 5'7" CW 177 lbs. here.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. My only other piece of advise would be to give it at least 4 weeks to see where you're at before you try to adjust anything. The only exception being if you find yourself consistently out of energy and bonking on your workouts, then you would need to evaluate and decide if you're doing too aggressive of a calorie restriction.

Also, don't panic if you see the scale bounce up for a bit because of increasing your carbohydrate intake along with *possibly* increasing your calorie intake (that depends on if you were tracking accurately before). Both can cause glycogen to store in your muscles which leads to weight gain because of WATER retention (NOT fat!) but people panic when it happens.... It will even back out when your body adjusts to the new regimen (hence my advise to give it 4 weeks). The good news is, you may find that with the extra glycogen stored in your muscles that you have MORE power available for your workouts!
  • pennyjlm
    pennyjlm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my cals and weighing much more detailed 5 days straight now! On to the weekend which will be my challenge.

I was excited to weigh myself this morning, but my bathroom scale was wonky - i stepped on it 3 times - 170#, 168.8#, 157#, ---- ok then I knew something was wrong! Changed the batteries and it said 172# ..... wtf! So whatever just ignoring that and will check it out again tomorrow morning!

I'm really enjoying eating things that were previously "unallowed" like some fruit for breakfast. Or I'm going to have an activia Yogurt this afternoon for a snack.

Anyone who has time to look at my diary and give me feedback - it would be much appreciated!!! TDEE average of 2200, I've been aiming for 1,700 cals and have been around there all week. According to my fitbit and MFP, here are my (calories burned) and calories eaten for the last 5 days:

(2200) / 1297 = net (903)
    (2240) / 1531 = net (709)
    (2193) / 1755 = net (438)
    (2318) / 1803 = net (515)
    (2019) / 1645 = net (374) = total net = (2,939) so less than 1 pound I understand.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my cals and weighing much more detailed 5 days straight now! On to the weekend which will be my challenge.

I was excited to weigh myself this morning, but my bathroom scale was wonky - i stepped on it 3 times - 170#, 168.8#, 157#, ---- ok then I knew something was wrong! Changed the batteries and it said 172# ..... wtf! So whatever just ignoring that and will check it out again tomorrow morning!

I'm really enjoying eating things that were previously "unallowed" like some fruit for breakfast. Or I'm going to have an activia Yogurt this afternoon for a snack.

Anyone who has time to look at my diary and give me feedback - it would be much appreciated!!! TDEE average of 2200, I've been aiming for 1,700 cals and have been around there all week. According to my fitbit and MFP, here are my (calories burned) and calories eaten for the last 5 days:

(2200) / 1297 = net (903)
    (2240) / 1531 = net (709)
    (2193) / 1755 = net (438)
    (2318) / 1803 = net (515)
    (2019) / 1645 = net (374) = total net = (2,939) so less than 1 pound I understand.

If these are your stats, then you aren't eating enough. If you are supposed to have a 1700 calorie day, MFP assumes you had enough movement as you set your profile for lifestyle to (i.e. sedentary, light activity, moderate activity, etc.) and weight loss goal (i.e. 2lbs per week). If you worked out another and had another 500 calories for the day, your target is 2200 for the day (assuming 500 calories from working out is accurate). The original assigned calories should already reflect that 2 lbs. of weight loss (MFP auto calculates a 500 calorie deficit into your daily consumption) without the added exercise calories.

With a net of negative 900 or more calories, you are actually under your daily calories by 1400. You are starving yourself if these numbers are accurate. Start with an accurate profile of what you do throughout your day or TDEE - 20% like others on the forums suggest. This could be why your weight loss is stalling a little. Just a thought.

It might be that you have to get a more accurate calculator for your daily caloric goal and stick to it as closely as possible.
  • pennyjlm
    Options
    If these are your stats, then you aren't eating enough. If you are supposed to have a 1700 calorie day, MFP assumes you had enough movement as you set your profile for lifestyle to (i.e. sedentary, light activity, moderate activity, etc.) and weight loss goal (i.e. 2lbs per week). If you worked out another and had another 500 calories for the day, your target is 2200 for the day (assuming 500 calories from working out is accurate). The original assigned calories should already reflect that 2 lbs. of weight loss (MFP auto calculates a 500 calorie deficit into your daily consumption) without the added exercise calories.

With a net of negative 900 or more calories, you are actually under your daily calories by 1400. You are starving yourself if these numbers are accurate. Start with an accurate profile of what you do throughout your day or TDEE - 20% like others on the forums suggest. This could be why your weight loss is stalling a little. Just a thought.

It might be that you have to get a more accurate calculator for your daily caloric goal and stick to it as closely as possible.

Ok so maybe the 900 day was too low... Just didn't have time that day to eat as much.

But I thought by calcing my TDEE (2200) and taking off 20% to get to the 1760 goal I was already baking in my exercise and therefore didn't need to subtract that/add that again??
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Ok so maybe the 900 day was too low... Just didn't have time that day to eat as much.

But I thought by calcing my TDEE (2200) and taking off 20% to get to the 1760 goal I was already baking in my exercise and therefore didn't need to subtract that/add that again??

Assuming the tdee at 2200-20%= 1760. If you hit that number or go way less (and assuming your calorie count is accurate), you could be going too far below your tdee (given you are as aggressively at a deficit as you listed). Try getting more on your mark as you should be at tdee-20% as you can for a few weeks, and this would equate to upping your calories. Otherwise, double check you don't have any medical issues (prediabetes, etc.). Then the macro count comes into play.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are taking something that could be relatively simple and having it made way more confusing that it needs to be. Meal timing can play a small role in bodybuilding and muscle growth, but it's pretty much irrelevant for us "normies" who don't intend to compete in the sport. Eat what and when you want, just stay at your caloric intake goal.

You could try to simplify your strength training program as well. Bodybuilders are going to want you to do split workouts. If you are relatively new to lifting, you could see better results doing a full body routine each day. Most beginner programs will start you at three days per week, no need for more. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 are good routines to look at. Of course, in a deficit you wont be building new muscle anyway, so I would say do whatever you are more likely to stick with in the long run.

Again, it's all about finding something you like to do, and will stick with forever. The journey doesn't end once you've lost the weight, it just gets a whole lot easier :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

*edit, nevermind. Didn't read the thread before replying.
  • pennyjlm
    Options
    Sounds like you are taking something that could be relatively simple and having it made way more confusing that it needs to be. Meal timing can play a small role in bodybuilding and muscle growth, but it's pretty much irrelevant for us "normies" who don't intend to compete in the sport. Eat what and when you want, just stay at your caloric intake goal.

You could try to simplify your strength training program as well. Bodybuilders are going to want you to do split workouts. If you are relatively new to lifting, you could see better results doing a full body routine each day. Most beginner programs will start you at three days per week, no need for more. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 are good routines to look at. Of course, in a deficit you wont be building new muscle anyway, so I would say do whatever you are more likely to stick with in the long run.

Again, it's all about finding something you like to do, and will stick with forever. The journey doesn't end once you've lost the weight, it just gets a whole lot easier :)

Thank you for the response. I will check out the Starting Strength and Stronglifts.