How did you decide what your goal weight was?

Options
Okay I've changed my goal weight today from 120 to 125 today. I'm 5'7". In my head I've been debating on what to do. It seems like I'm confused if perhaps my low esteem in my figure makes me think that I should be smaller. Yet, I do want to be the best me possible and not sell myself short. so my question is how did you all decide and for those of you who are maintaining what told you "okay I've reached my goal, it's time to stop... and not continue to think -maybe I should be another lb less?"

Replies

• sasbw27
    sasbw27 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It was a combination of my bmi results and the weight I thought I'd look and feel good at.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I looked up what my healthy BMI should be and then picked a number in the middle of the healthy range that they gave me. So they said I could be between 115-155, and based on my build and my frame I picked 135 as a healthy weight for me to be at. :)
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight at the lowest possible weight I would ever want to weigh. That way while I'm working toward that number, I can stop along the way if I feel like I'm comfortable at a different weight. I haven't been that weight since my freshman year of high school, so honestly I can't even imagine what I will look like at that weight. I'm hoping to get there, but I can imagine myself stopping between 110-115 and being happy!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am also 5"7 - in my 20's I was between 125 - 135. But I know that was partly due to age and lifestyle. I chose my goal weight by picking the top end of my "healthy" range - which is actually 165. But I promised myself that the goal will be determined by how I feel, and not the scale. If I am 170 and fit - I am ok with that.
  • thechurchlady
    Options
    I set my goal weight to 20 pounds less than what I weigh now...when I reach that goal, I will set it 20 lbs lower...I have a lot of weight to lose, and this will give me many small victories along the weigh (lol)....
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The basic chart gives this:
    5'7"

123-136

133-147

143-163
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Here is a great article on finding your 'happy weight':

http://thehealthyapron.com/2010/12/29/how-much-should-you-weigh/

BTW: Being smaller will not raise your self esteem. Weight and self worth are not related. You do not need to lose weight to earn your own love, and as you have seen through the weight you've already lost, you will not earn your own love through weight loss. You are worthy of your own love TODAY. EXACTLY as you are.

Charmagne
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The basic chart gives this:
    5'7"

123-136 small frame

133-147 medium frame

143-163 large frame

My advice though is see what you look and feel like when you get to the top of the scale......I personally at the low end of my "range" don't look healthy.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My final goal weight of 129 is mostly based on my height/frame, and a number that is beyond what I've gotten to in previous attempts to lose weight when I've given up. I'd love to see a 2 again as the second digit in my weight and it would give me an incredible sense of accomplishment. However, if I get to the low 130s and see a healthy, toned, and fit body that I feel good in, I'd be happy with that.
  • jajat4
    jajat4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried to pick a goal weight that was realistic for me to achieve and if I can hit it then maybe i'll try to lose a little bit more.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • sinks
    sinks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and I have a friend who is the same. She weighs 160 and I thought to myself, she looks pretty good. It's at the high end of the normal range for my height, but still normal, so that's how I picked it. I started at 291 so, it was so far away that it was hard for me to know what would be good for me.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used a weight that I felt comfortable with in the past. Well to be honest I've been comfortable at a few different weights so I picked the one in the middle. My current weight is 274 but in the past I've spent a lot of time at 220, 195, and 175. Once I get down to 220 I will be pretty happy with myself, but I'd like to keep losing weight until 195. If I reach 195 and I have the motivation to lose another 20 pounds to reach my "perfect" weight then I will go for it. If not then I will be very happy with myself at 195.

Originally when I signed up I put my goal weight as 220 thinking that when I reach that I will enter a new goal weight of 195. Then I just figured I should put 195 in from the beginning and go for it. Reach for the stars I guess lol.
  • nabrown382
    Options
    I set my goal weight at the lowest possible weight I would ever want to weigh. That way while I'm working toward that number, I can stop along the way if I feel like I'm comfortable at a different weight. I haven't been that weight since my freshman year of high school, so honestly I can't even imagine what I will look like at that weight.

I did the exact same thing. At my height, that weight still puts me in the "overweight" BMI category, but I have some idea of what I'll look like at that weight, based on what I looked like in HS and what my mom looks like at at the same weight, and for me, anything smaller isn't desirable. I'm trying to focus more on getting my % body fat in a healthy range -- so if that gets to where I want it before I reach my original goal, I may switch to maintenance mode.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Wii Fit suggested a healthy BMI/weight for me based on my height, weight, age, and gender. However, I also took a quick look around the internet and verified it with my doctor. I, too have wondered if I'll actually stop when I get to my goal or if I'll try for another 5 pounds. I would love to say I'd lost 30 pounds, but to loose that last 5 would put me at the exact bottom of the "healthy" weights for my size and into "underweight." I can only imagine my body would fight loosing that 5 with everything it's got, and it would be extremely difficult to maintain. Besides, at my current goal weight, I will have met my REAL goals: to get healthy and to feel better about my body. And that's really what it's about!
  • erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I think it's totally up to YOU to decide what weight you should be. There are so many variables to consider when deciding what is "ideal". For example, I am 5'9" and I have a heavy bone structure. I also tend to have a low body fat percentage. When I am around 160, I feel good, healthy, energetic, and look slim. When I go above 165, I start feeling a little too heavy. Remember that we all fluctuate from day to day at least 1-2 pounds because of sodium, hormones, etc. Even when you are strength training, you might "gain" weight - which is not fat, your muscles will retain water after pumping them.

I would say that setting an EXACT number is difficult. I have set many many goals over the past couple of years to get BEYOND, but to say that I will be 160 pounds and maintain that weight indefinitely is not realistic for me. Maybe you could set your goal to be 120 is your low and 125 is your high. That way, you have a number in mind and when you start seeing yourself going up, you know that there are a few things that need to be changed. I recently went back up to 168 and realized that I was not logging little bites of chips, cookies, etc. I got back on track, started logging every bite and I am already losing the weight. I think that is what maintenance is all about. Just having that HIGH number and not wanting to go beyond it.

If you think that 120 is just unreasonable, I would say set it a little higher so that you don't get discouraged!

Hope that helps!!! You can DO IT!!!!!
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

I use the this formula along with the results from my BodPod test...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am going to address the physical part--others have made some good comments on the issue of self-esteem.

I consider "Goal weight" to be both an artificial construct as well as a moving target. Since the scale weighs everything--both "good" and "bad", the actual "goal" number is not that important--it is body composition that is the significant factor that will drive the "goal weight" and body composition can change as you progress through a program. So "goal weight" is actually "goal body composition".

So choosing "goal weight" is really a matter of choosing what % body fat goal you would like to achieve. From a health standpoint, the range of "healthy" body fat percentage is pretty wide--for your age, up to 32%-33% can be considered "healthy" (i.e. carries no significantly increased health risk). I don't know that I necessarily agree with that, but those are the consensus guidelines. Now, 30% body fat is not going to give you an ideal appearance, nor optimum physical fitness, so many people will prefer something lower.

For many women, getting below, say 20% fat requires some effort. That is more of an athletic physique and it requires that level of training--and dieting.

In addition, your ability to achieve a level of body fat is also influenced by your inherited body type.

Once you have determined a body fat % goal, you need to have your body composition assessed and determine your fat-free mass (FFM). FFM is really going to determine what the "scale" number will be at your desired level of body fat.

For example, someone with a FFM of 105 lbs who wants to get to 25% body fat would have a "goal weight" of 140lbs (105 divided by .75); a 20% body fat level would be 131 (105 divided by .8). A woman of the same height, but a smaller frame and a FFM of 96 lbs would have goal weights of 128 and 120 respectively.

Bone size doesn't change, but since FFM includes muscle, it is possible that FFM can change over time through the results of an exercise program. Therefore any "goal weight" calculation is really only valid the day it was made--as you progress to the "goal", the actual number will have to be recalculated based on changes in FFM.

"Goal weight" should really be seen as just a rough guideline rather than a fixed point. It should be a number of secondary importance at best.

That's why height/weight charts, BMI goals, etc are not very good guidelines for setting "goal weights". Neither is comparing scale weights with others, even at the same age and height.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Hi Therese, great question!!! As you can see by the responses - everyone has a point of view - on what it should be and by what means to tell if you really are there. It's not an easy answer..... But, for me, my goal weight in terms of actual numbers on the scale is more like a range - about 5 pounds. But I also go by my strenght and fitness level. It's a little harder to maintain the same weight and fitness level as I get older ... but I still do it - I just have to try harder...I have to eat better and exercise more. But goal weight - I call it my happy weight is different for everyone. You just have to find yours and work at keeping it.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i tried to pick something that was healthy for my height and frame. ideally, my doctor told me i should weigh 135-145. i totally disagree as i'm 5'9" and have a large frame. so i picked 160-170, because i still want curves!!
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I'm shooting for 125 because I remember liking how I looked at that weight several years ago. I don't really know if I'll stop there (or even get there!) or not. Once I get to that goal I plan to reevaluate what I want to do and if I lose a few more pounds to give myself room for fluctuation, great! If not, then I think I'd be fine with maintaining that as long as I'm toned. I also checked out the BMI charts and asked my doctor after I picked my GW, just to check if it would be healthy.