What keeps you going?

Options
So I'm 9 weeks into my weight loss journey and things have actually been going really well compared to the past (18 lbs lost). What's hard for me is I feel like I've come all this way and put in all this time but I still don't fit in the jeans I wore a year ago (long story short: lost weight, gained it back x2 during a stressful school year). So I wanted to ask everyone: what keeps you going? For me, I know that if I stop now, I'll never get there, so I just have to keep pushing. I want to see what other people do and maybe apply it to my own thinking :)

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going? Determination. No more excuses, no more quitting. If I have to slow down for a cold (stupid cold!!) so be it, but I will watch my calories, and I will start back at the gym as soon as I can.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I guess the fact that I have specific body composition goals and the fact that I'm not restricting my intake keeps me going.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The main thing is I made my mind up to do this without ceasing. Besides losing the weight, measuring and logging your measurements is a good NSV (non-scale victory, for any newbies). Taking pics is also good. Reading motivational quotes helps me too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This is my life now, and frankly I don't see any other viable alternatives. The app also makes it extremely easy to log, since I can get it done whenever I have an idle moment and I have my phone near me. Staying under all the time is a bit challenging but I think that's the way it's meant to be - that is the lifestyle itself should be more challenging than just recording it
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have abused my body for 10 years, as a result I'm alone and miserable. I want to live life, what I'm doing now is barely existing. I also suffer with chronic back pain which I'm hoping will get better as I lose more weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I found a new way of doing things. And there is no time line / deadline because what I am doing now I will be doing in the future as well. I also like that each day / each week I do this becomes easier.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My daughters.

My husband.

The fact that at 28 years old I was diagnosed with a gastrointestinal disease that is not usually seen in people under 40-50 years old. And when that was being confirmed my GI found a precancerous polyp in my colon. So I'm now at a higher risk for colon cancer and must be screened every 5 years for the rest of my life. I can't keep beating the s**t out of my body. If I want to watch my girls grow up I have to change what I can control. My husband lost one wife, and I refuse to put him through it again.

I want to feel good about myself. I still have more than half my life to live, and going through it obese and hating myself isn't really living. Nor does it set any sort of example for my girls, who I want to have healthy habits and positive body image.

I also want to have the best *kitten* of my life, and quitting won't get me there. :wink:
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i dont really have a motivation, i guess i could lie and say im doing this for family, or i wanna look good (that be nice i guess)

but i try not to think about it, if i think about it too much ill just stop working out, stop dieting. go back to eating pizza and drinking all day, destroy and 8 piece at kfc like i use to do (yes with sides) and ill be fat again.

i dont want that, so i move on reflex, when i decide to go to the gym my mind is just blank and i get lost in the music. i just know for some reason this is the right thing to do and i do it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I wanted to ask everyone: what keeps you going?

What's the alternative?
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mostly better health. But there are the other reasons, too.... Like I want to weigh less than my husband, not give my littles my food issues, be a good role model, be fast and able enough to handle my young lab on the agility course.

But... Health is my first priority.

I realize this go round that the only way to fail is to quit. I am not about to quit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's what I want. I want it more than I want the alternative.
  • ingehooper
    ingehooper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did it before so I can do it again. My main motivation is my kids. I have two boys (3 and 2) and Id love a third baby but have to get down to the 130s before I will let myself. That means about 50lbs to lose but il do it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's funny for me because unlike a lot of other people (mainly women) who are mom's etc I am not doing this for my children or husband...they dont' care what I weigh...

I want it bad enough....it's like my profile says....you either want it or you don't.

Now that I am actually past my original GW and my 2nd gw working on my 3rd it's my life now.

Logging, weighing, exercising....all of it is now part of my regular life and I won't give up this feeling I have for nothing...nothing.
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For my health, I'm prediadetic, my son and husband and because my in laws are celebrating their 50th anniversary in December and we are taking them to the Bahamas as a gift and leaving Christmas morning. I will have to wear a bathing suit in front of his entire family which includes 3 older brothers and their wives.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Gaining confidence, being healthy and happy. All of that was pretty much non-existent for me prior to losing weight.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Heh.... I just really miss being hot.
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Heh.... I just really miss being hot.

YUP!!!!!!!!!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    vengeance!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Here's what I told one of my friends on here. Go grab a pair of your big jeans, go to the grocery and grab a 20 pound bag of dog or cat food and stuff it down the front of your pants. Walk up and down each isle of the store. That outta give you your motivation back! BTW awesome job on your loss.