1 lb. weight loss per day without starving

Options
2»

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a half pound a day for the last 152 days and so far so good here. I tend to eat about 2100 calories a day and burn around 1600 - 1800 calories a day.

I think it all just depends on how you feel. If you don't eat enough you'll end up pretty miserable so it's often a self correcting system. If you get worried go check in with a doctor since non of us are really all that qualified outside of what has worked for us..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Definitely too low on the calories. It's great that you're losing, but you're killing your metabolism for the future.

That's impossible.

It's entirely possible.

If one surmises that at this rate of loss, muscle is included in the catch all term 'weight' lost.
    Less muscle mass = lowered metabolism.

At least that's how I understand it.

Then again, this is the internet....it's like a '2 tokes' and pass conversation, without the 2 tokes :laugh:
    #nobodylikesabogart
    :bigsmile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Definitely too low on the calories. It's great that you're losing, but you're killing your metabolism for the future.

That's impossible.

It's entirely possible. Ever hear of metabolic adaption or adaptive thermogenesis? Your resting metabolic rate or even your basal metabolic rate can adjust based on consumption, loss of muscle mass and other factors.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The change is often considered temporary.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11063433?dopt=Abstract
    CONCLUSIONS:
    "Energy restriction produces a transient hypothyroid-hypometabolic state that normalizes on return to energy-balanced conditions. Failure to establish energy balance after weight loss gives the misleading impression that weight-reduced persons are energy conservative and predisposed to weight regain. Our findings do not provide evidence in support of adaptive metabolic changes as an explanation for the tendency of weight-reduced persons to regain weight."

One MFPer who lost almost a pound a day for 18 months and is an avid runner:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1331554-how-i-lost-391lbs-in-18-months-with-youtube-video?hl=youtube&page=1
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    weightloss that quickly is unhealthy and not good for your body at all
    maybe seek some advice from a dietician :)
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing the same. I feel like I'm losing very fast (lost a total of 14lbs in September, which is about 1/2lb a day). But I've been working hard and I know it will slow down. I don't think I'd worry if I were you, I'm not worried. You could definitely eat more and still lose weight, at a slower pace if you so choose. I do 1200-1300 cals a day and currently weigh 184lbs.
  • endlessjoe
    Options
    The weight loss ended up slowing down real hard after about 20 days. I've stayed around 193 lbs for the past week. Upped my calories and accidentally pulled back on working out as much since I've started 3 jobs recently. But I'm happy to have learned that I can maintain at this rate. Figuring that out was a big deal, since I've always either lost or gained, and it's been hard to figure out how to level out. Slowing down the pace a bit, but still feeling good. Thanks for all your responses!