WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday and a beautiful Spring day.
    Scales were kind and I lost 2 lbs from yesterday
    Sunday is my rest day so we went for a drive out and 2 doggy walk. Went for ice cream but freezer had been turned off so no ice cream. Did not need it
    Logged food calories at 1708, all good.
    I joined a site called Livinlite, which is for people on Duramine. Have printed their recipes for next week and opted for 2000 plan. Dietition said 1600 to 1900, so can knock stuff out. Also started my exercise plant on there too. I should have started on livinglite when I started Duramine., ah well on it now.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

It’s a fox! :laugh:

Vicki: sending good thoughts your way and hope you got a good night’s sleep.

Joyce/Sylvia: I think Sylvia means Bluetooth; if the Samsung has Bluetooth your (Joyce’s) daughter can sync without a dongle. She just needs to download the app and set it up. I see you can buy a dongle separately; if she doesn’t want to spend the money for a new one she might be able to find one on eBay or something. (I’m assuming the tablet has a spot to plug in USB things.)

Patty: congrats on the class and hope your health issues get sorted out soon.

Carol: glad you’re still alive! :smile:

Barbie: were you able to walk after three hours on the exercise bike?? :noway:

Sylvia: can you post a picture of your work when it’s done?

Heather: nothing personal, but I would never eat lobster because of how they’re killed. I know there are lots of issues with the treatment of the animals/fish people eat, but this is one thing we can avoid directly. I’m so glad you’re enjoying so much of New York, though. As I get older I’m becoming less and less a big-city person. :embarassed: Unfortunately that means missing a lot of museums (or going to fewer of them).

Another relatively quiet day, though I have to work a couple of hours (at home). Visiting doggy is still here. Going to air the room that was painted on Friday. Still feel a little cold-y, but it's not worse than yesterday.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn,all. Haven't read all the posts,just having a busy,busy time with DD here.I always miss her,but when she visits,realize we miss her more than we realize.

The girls run my legs off & will be the same today. A couple big farmers mkts today,plus whatever shopping they want to do.Wears me out to think about it. :

Heather,the pic looks like Grand Central Station. Can't wait to hear about the BD meal.Happy BD to you.

Hope everyone is having a nice wk end.........Pat
  • zumbava88
    Options
    Hi all-my name is Ava and I have lost 52 pounds. I just turned 60 years old and I am proud of the fact that I am healthier and smaller than I was when I was 40! Having my fitness pal keeps me aware of my daily activities and progress and best of all it syncs with my Fitbit. Good luck to everyone and nice to meet all of you. Let's all remember nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!:flowerforyou:

Woke up early - 5 am this morning, knowing that it's our last day. :ohwell:

Cynthia - I agree with you about the lobster. I have only had one before this. Some chefs nowdays are killing them humanely, or quickly, by spiking them in the brain. Killing is horrible any which way, but I am not ready to be a vegetarian yet. I normally eat organic and from good abbatoirs from the point of view of animal husbandry.
    I'm afaid I just shut my eyes, and my brain, this time, but I won't be making a habit of it.:noway:

Breakfast calls.:bigsmile:

Heather in NYC
  • anorien1
    Options
    Just found this group and wanted to say Hi! :smile:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well last night was a huge success!!! the auction alone netted almost 19,000 the raffle im sure was huge, I did get to help and walked around with my friend Jill and her daughter and we collected money for the 50/50 raffle got 1,000 for that. but I didnt get to have anything to eat or drink, which was fine because I was grazing all day here..
    Paul there dad,the one that lost his wife has just remarried, and I met Sandys mom, that would be Paul's first wife the one that passed away of cancer mom. Jill sat me at there table.. I was the youngest one there and I only sat for about 1/2 hr,but Paul bless his heart said anything I wanted to order food drink, was covered.. he saved money on me:laugh:
    the place was packed and everyone had a ball, just heard from Jill that her brother got cold cocked and knocked out and got his head split open, now this is a fundraiser for his moms foundation and some idiot was drunk and did this, at least the guy was arrested..
    yesterday was my dads 86th birthday I have a card here and have to bake him some pecan pie bars.. will go see him later on. today I am running crazy, I have to go up to my SIL house and bring the caregiver our blender and a bunch of banana's as they have run out and there blender isnt working.. Faith ,Jeans mom has a protein smoothie every morning, so I have to do that, then stop see my DFIL, then come home and grocery shop,bake those bars for dad, and mow the lawn..so my day is full..
    will check in later
    Heather, New Haven about 1/2 hr away Stamford is closer to New York border
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I'm Mary, currently from south Florida. I'm posting for the first time. I've decided to engage with weightloss and fitness as if it were my job. I'm currently not working because of knee injuries. I have a decision to make this week about whether to have an operation my gyn wants to do.

Goals are:

Make my health decisions
    Check in everyday with a report of my progress

That's enough for now.

Best of luck to all of you; you all seem to be a wonderfully supportive group.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'm afaid I just shut my eyes, and my brain, this time, but I won't be making a habit of it.:noway:
    I understand. :smile:
    Safe flight!
    Cynthia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options

Barbie: were you able to walk after three hours on the exercise bike?? :noway:

:flowerforyou: Cynthia, I didn't ride the exercise bike for three hours non-stop.:laugh: We watch TV and movies in parts, taking breaks for the bathroom, the telephone, dog walking, and other things, so my rides are 30-40 minutes at a time. I didn't start out doing this much. When we first got the bike I rode about 20 minutes a day and gradually increased.......the longest journey starts with a single step.

:heart: Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I LOVE today’s joke! I hope you are able to help your DGD with her math skills. Perhaps special math time with Grandma will be just what she needs to get herself back on track.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: The ebola situation scares me, too. Africa also had a tough time with aids, but that is spread by physical contact, and not through the air. Ebola is much more frightening.:flowerforyou:

Rita: I have a recumbent trike and love it. Mine is most often on a “trainer” in the garage that allows me to ride has hard and long as I want without going anywhere, but it can come outside an go places if I want. It hasn’t been out of the garage this year because of DH’s health situation. I hope next year is better. Barbie has an indoor recumbent and watches TV while riding. I’d like that, too. It would be a good way to gain stamina after surgery. Thanks for the link to the dancing nuns.:flowerforyou:

Jane: Happy birthday to your baby. Congratulations to you.:flowerforyou:

Grammarn: Good luck with your knee replacement. Two of my neighbors have had knees replaced. The rehab was hard work, but their lives are so much better now. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:

Heather: You are an Energizer Bunny when it comes to seeing the sights! I thought going to NCY with 14 year olds was a challenge, but we had it easy compared to your itinerary. On the other hand, all we did was shop and visit a few notable sights. Have I mentioned a thousand or so times that I don’t enjoy shopping? BORING. I’m happy you enjoyed Grand Central Station. It is quite a place! As I read your post on October 5, I’m guessing you’re on your way home today. I hope you have a pleasant flight.:flowerforyou:

Leslie: I’m happy for you that your health regime is proving itself positive. You need to develop patience with the scales and be sure that you don’t let them sabotage your resolve. Getting healthier is a process with glacier like progress.:flowerforyou:

Sue: I hope your trip to Washington and OSHU turns out to be a positive experience and you manage to have fun along the way.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I was a very frustrated woman when I was at my daughter’s because she didn’t have internet access. Something was wrong with her Century Link equipment and it wasn’t resolved before I left. I feel your pain. Too bad you can’t just turn your new computer on and go. What kind is it?:flowerforyou:

Tracy from Rosemont, ON: I hope you’re all over your virus quickly. A couple of us are horse lovers and I would love to hear about it.:flowerforyou:

Vicki: Thanks for your good wishes. DH is home and resting, but I’m not resting at all. Yikes!:flowerforyou:

JB: Happy Birthday! I’ve been absent for a few days and only half witted when present, so I missed it.

Barbie: Jake’s hot and sour soup sounds wonderful!:flowerforyou:

Ava: Welcome. Congratulations for your success at getting healthier.:flowerforyou:

Mary: welcome. Good luck with your decisions.:flowerforyou:

Sue from SD: The Snohomish area is beautiful. I hope you enjoy the visit with your DD and also the conference at OSHU. The only thing negative I have to say about the Seattle area is the traffic. The State of Washington needs to build another main freeway or figure out a way to get Seattleites out of their cars and into mass transit. On the plus side, there are many skilled doctors and good hospitals in Western Washington and the scenery is gorgeous!:flowerforyou:

DH is sleeping, the kids are asleep in the living room, and the coffee just finished. I do here some sounds, so maybe people are waking. Time for me to be social.

Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone,

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................only 42 when I went out to feed the birds at 7am---gave the poor things an extra scoop of black oil sunflower seeds and chopped up a big apple extra too. This is the coldest we've been since probably last April or March and they must feel it too. Guess your cold weather has hit here, Kathy! Wanted to scrub down the front of the house and get fall decorations up but may not warm up enough; we'll see.

Turned the oven on and roasted red peppers, garlic, and tomatoes for use this week and to add a little warmth. Also made the pot of steel cut oatmeal for the week.

Got a call yesterday from Gwen's gardener; he thinks she's getting confused again. It was over a bill from him and I know this guy isn't bilking her..........she argued with him and insisted it was wrong, got quite nasty according to him. I just had her out for dinner on Thursday and saw her Friday too and she seemed OK to me but I'll speak to her dr. this week.

Molly.............Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

Sylvia...........Glad your photo matting went well and you are so pleased with the result. YAY for your artistic talents!

Heather............Wishing you a smooth trip back across the pond! Y'all come back now!!!

Lesley........Good that you found a group specific to your med. Got to be lots of good info there.

Joyce...........YAY!!!!! For your DD not taking up smoking again!!! Good for her! It's so difficult to quit.

Alison............Super amount raised............good work!

Katla............If you are reading............thinking of you and your DH, hope all is well. Added later: Glad to see you've posted just before me. On Ebola: right now it's passed in body fliuds only but there has been some concern expressed that the virus will evolve to airbourne..........I sincerely hope that this is not likely.

Stay strong!

Bye for now,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic............hoping it gets a tiny bit warmer
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think I have posted on this group before. I have decided to try to be more active in MFP.

I am 61, divorced with 1 daughter and 1 granddaughter. Unfortunately they live several states away. I have been frustrated with my lack of success with weight loss. Virtually nothing has worked, although I have managed to keep my weight under control.

I am doing more to maintain a healthy diet and trying to reduce carbs and increase protein and good fats.

I liked the idea of setting a goal to connect with friends I have lost track of. Will try to add that to the program.

Considering a career/job change. Work has become increasingly stressful.

Keeping it all in prayer.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I didn't get on here much in September but have been logging my steps every day. I just don't have time to type it on here every day! Average for Sept. was 17,796 steps/day. Barbie - thank you for getting us jump-started for a new month! Have a great day!

Melinda

Eastern Oregon
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,
    The band was fantastic as usual last night, I wish they came this way more often. We danced the night away and I actually put in over 10,000 steps just dancing.
    Thanks all for the good wishes on the water aerobic class, I'm so happy that it went well and plan to start on another routine today. I don't want to do the same routines over and over.
    Joyce, Thanks for the information regarding the Quest Community Church, I will check this out.
    I have a long list to get done today, laundry, clean bathroom and kitchen, cook food for the week, create a new water aerobic and a new ab routine for this week, do chapter three of my nutrition class, get some exercise, and while grocery shopping yesterday guess what I forgot, (toilet paper) so I have to run back for that. I'd love to get a bike ride in too.
    Here is hoping that all is well and each and every one of you has a great day!
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I just got back from walking five miles which was ALL the way around the lake! I wasn't sure I could do it, but I did. Hubby came out and met me for about the last half mile. I think he was getting worried. Now my feet hurt, but in a happy way.

Melinda, I'm impressed with your daily average! What is that in miles? I'm shooting for 10,000 steps but don't always hit it.

When we got back inside the cabin we found Molly on the couch but no Bruno. He had somehow gotten up the spiral stairs again, even with the baby gate closed and the biggest opening blocked where he was squeezing through before. It's a mystery how he did it this time. We need to install a video camera to find out. Little stinker! He was all stretched out on the bed like he belonged there. We don't mind him on the bed but doing want him to fall down the stairs.

Today's joke is a variation on one my dad used to tell:

:happy:

A schoolteacher asked her primary six class to construct sentences with the words: defeat, detail, defense.

There was a pause before a pupil raised his hand and said he could make a sentence with them; "The cow jumped over defense and detail went over defeat."

:laugh:

Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Enjoying a restful Sunday but excited about going for a long walk with DH and maybe the dogs too after the Bears game. Trying to get motivated to get my de-cluttering done since tomorrow is D-day- the start-up of school again! Time to get off my computer but I did read everyone's posts and welcome to all the newcomers!

Kathy in IL
  • rutbatavs
    rutbatavs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HI! I'd like to join this group since it (partly) defines who I am. I really like the idea of monthly goals, too. Just coming off Rosh HaShannah and Yom Kippur reminded me of being guilty of gluttony, which is one of the things we ask forgiveness for. I must say that after a 24-hr fast, my old ways came right back when it was time to eat. But it was only one day, and I'm back again thinking about the new year and continuing my work toward lowering my cholesterol by losing weight. Thanks everybody. P.S. I live in North Potomac, NW Washingtonian!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Time to check in with all you lovely ladies.

:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday to Heather and jb!! :flowerforyou: I love reading about Heather's NY trip (heck any of her travels!) and jb's blogs are super to read.

:smile: Katla, I am glad to see your DH is home. Wishing him a full recovery and not too much annoyance for you :bigsmile:

:smile: Michelle - I am also a list maker. In fact, I have been known to add something to a list once I have completed a job which was not on the list, just so I can strike it off the list. I am such a nerd.

:tongue: Cynthia - it's a fox!? wow, very cool.

:flowerforyou: Allison - great that the auction was such a success.

:bigsmile: I fell off the wagon regarding the 28 squat challenge. But I am getting myself back on. Just seemed to have run out of time before work in the morning. I have decided to set my alarm clock 15 minutes earlier, so I can fit my little strength workout in. I also decided not to worry how many squats I do, as long as it is a minimum of 1 set of 20 reps, and any weight lifting 1 set of 10 reps for each exercise.

:flowerforyou: Barbie - I love how you remind us that the longest journey starts with a single step.

Last night we celebrated birthdays of our two youngest. DD turned 32 and DS 30. We hosted given both of them have such busy lives with small children. It was a lot of fun, and I am now resting up.

I tried to upload a new profile picture, but whatever I try, MFP always considers it too large in size. I wonder why. So, most of my pictures are from previous years taken with an older camera.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all new ladies. Have a great Sunday.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Renny, I did challenges in September and October and in each case, there were about 50 participants on day one and fewer than five on the last day.....staying with a challenge is difficult for a lot of people. Missing a few days and starting right back up is the ticket to success.....I, too, will put things on my list just so I can cross them off...I am very compulsive about my lists but they've saved me from disaster a few times.

:flowerforyou: Katla, my new computer is an HP laptop with a ton of memory for programs and for files......it won't get here until Monday and will need to have some software loaded on it and the wifi set up and the new printer connected to the desktop by wire and the laptop and phones by wifi (way above my skill level).

:laugh: :laugh: Right now I am avoiding cleaning the bathrooms and doing my strength training.....gotta get moving

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington State smiley-happy093.gif