How far do you travel to the gym?

Options
I reeeeally want to join a gym in another town which is about 20 - 25 mins. away from my home. I not sure I can make the commitment to travel that far. There is a gym 5 mins from home, but it doesn't offer what I want.

I was wondering how far do you travel? Does your travel time discourage you?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends- I am willing to travel about 10-15 miles- which is upwards of 30 min in NJ- but I try really hard to make it on the way to somewhere. I'm pretty consistent with my workouts and and do not mind going a little out of my way- but one of my gyms was on a fairly busy stretch of road and I would often find myself going home first before heading out at like 8 PM just to avoid traffic and the busy gym- I knew I was willing to do that- some people aren't or won't.

If it is not convenient and really it is not a priority for you- most people will find themselves just not going. If it's on the way to and from another event- or work- or a friend- or somewhere you visit regularly- then go for it.

Or if you know you are the kind of person who will definitely go- and you are 150% committed to going regularly- then it's fine.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Dealing with this issue at the moment. I use the 35-40min walk as part of my exercise, which is ok in summer, but it has drawbacks so when its raining , very cold or dark then it is a disincentive. Probably moving to one ten minutes away which is nowhere near as nice, but iI know I will manage to get in on a regular basis plus it has 24/7 opening hours. Gym is no good if you never go alhough id like to think having the right equipment and importantly right atmosphere is there as well.

My suggestion is try it for 1 month and see how many times you make it there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I live in the city, my gym is 5 blocks away. I tried one 10 blocks away but thought it was annoying.

When I lived in the country I traveled 20 minutes to the gym...Not sure how long that lasted though.
  • desjham
    desjham Posts: 18
    Options
    I got really lucky and my gym is only about 10 minutes away. I usually go at 5:30 in the morning, but there is never traffic on the way there anyways. My gym is on the expensive side, but had everything I wanted so I felt it was worth it. There were some gyms that were half the price, but I just didn't see what I wanted even though they were closer.
  • gp0566
    gp0566 Posts: 2
    Options
    Did the gym thing for years. now I travel no where. I use beachbody workouts. Did all 3 phases of focus T25. Lost 20lbs in 15 weeks.Now moved onto P90X3. Puts on the muscle quick. I run 5 miles a day a couple of times a week as well. These workout got me in the best shape of my life. Thats your best bet. No travel, no monthly payments, no waiting for equipment and the most incredible workouts you will ever do period. My diet is super clean (2100 calories day) and i eat my body weight in protein. 155 grams through food and supplements. Hope this helps. Sorry no before and after pics. Not my thing. Just wanted to get healthy and strong. only use this site for calories and macros. Much easier than keeping a log.:smile:
    Gregg
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    One flight of stairs to my basement....If you have room you can find some decent deals from people who bought equipment and never used it. I could use a few more things but its coming along good.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We have a 15-20 min drive to the gym in the summer, 20-30 in the winter. We can take back road so the traffic isn't bad. We also go as a family so there is lots if incentive. Our gym is kind of expensive too, but it offers lots to do for all of us. While we are working out (me, hubby, twin 20 yrs old boys), our 16 yr old daughter goes rock climbing on the multiple climbing walls, then uses the elliptical machines/bikes/treadmills, then we go swimming, or in the hot tubs. If I was going 20 mins alone to a gym that didn't offer what ours has, I would still go as I love working out, but it would be an effort to get my hubby and boys there, my daughter would not go at all. What they offer makes the drive worth it for them.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Up the stairs
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My gym is a 30 minute brisk walk away. I don't have the option of driving because I choose not to own a car. I see the walk there (with my 8lb swim/gym kit on my back) as part of my workout.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    35-40 minute drive. Some of my training partners take the bus for an hour.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    wendyg311, why not try it for one month? I bet the gym management would go for that on the chance of getting a new permanent member.
  • southernbuttercup
    southernbuttercup Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I workout at home in my bedroom. On my last week of my first round of Insanity. Before that I was doing a mix of other dvd workouts. Gyms, even when they are close, have never worked for me. In the mornings, I found I have to take all my things with me to get ready for work after my workout or in the evening after work its crowded and machines are scarce. I find working out at home more convenient to work around my schedule.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    15 minutes walking from home 5 minutes walking from work

I took the closest gym possible and also a 24 hour open gym :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    One flight of stairs to my basement....If you have room you can find some decent deals from people who bought equipment and never used it. I could use a few more things but its coming along good.

^^^This. Best investment I made was a quality treadmill and a power rack. Use them every day.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I count myself fortunate on this one because I finally live close to a gym that I love to go to. It is less than 5 min. drive, and I can bike it in under 20 minutes. I know there used to be research saying that people tend to not go if they have to drive more than 3-5 miles, but I see many at the gym who come before or after work and drive out of the way to get there (for appx 15 min depending on traffic). Personally, If I have to drive a long way or through a lot of traffic/traffic lights then I opt for home workouts. If I ever move, I will make the investment in a power rack and good set of dumbbells/bars. Right now though, it doesn't make sense to do that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 city blocks there and back. It's awesome.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I thought I was unlucky having mine a 20 minutes walk away!
  • jfmorrison
    jfmorrison Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just walk downstairs. It's great!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Ten minute walk or couple minutes drive. my daughter rock climbs or swims while I lift.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

^^^This. Best investment I made was a quality treadmill and a power rack. Use them every day.

It is a great investment for sure.

1904033_266841276823685_1218216922_n_zps3e16e6fc.jpg