Any "Food Phobias" Out There?

Options

Replies

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Sushi. Friends have tried to get me to give it a chance on numerous occasions. I know that it's actually cooked. It's sashimi that's raw. I still gag just putting the stuff in my mouth. The one time I did swallow a small piece, I ended up choking and hacking it back up. My entire nervous system is just hardwired to say "Nope!" to that stuff!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Strawberries. I can't eat anything that's been in contact with them, or been on a plate with them.

If I order a glass of champagne and it comes with a strawberry on the side, I need a new drink. Can't have it just taken off, or the wine poured into a new glass, I need an actual whole fresh drink.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Oh I cannot do raw tuna, and I'm a huge foodie! I don't know why because I like cooked tuna! Ahi is not my friend.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The only veg I will eat are potatoes and some onions if cut up really small and mostly hidden in the food ???? I dont eat salad other than a fruit salad. I hate soggy breakfast cereal ???? I dont like the taste of oven chips.
  • jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I cannot drink water that isn't from the kitchen tap. I KNOW that it is the same water that comes from the taps upstairs in the bathroom but I would rather run the risk of waking everyone up by traipsing downstairs to get a fresh glass of water from the kitchen in the middle of the night when I am in England (we live in a flat in Munich) since I cannot bear drinking it from the bathroom.
    First-world problems, I know...
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a phobia, but I eat every thing in a meal separately. I mean this like how most people would put a little bit of everything (different vegetables/meat etc) on a fork and eat it,

My sister is like this and shes 32. I didn't even realise this until she mentioned it while lunching at hers.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Its just recently that I will eat meat with a bone in it. Wouldnt eat ribs or wings.
    Wont eat anything raw like fish and especially oysters. They look like deformed vaginas. Ewww...
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a food phobia but tapioca kinda freaks me out.

I never thought anybody else felt this way about tapioca.

It's not that I don't like it but it really does just freak me out, hard to explain.

I definitely do not do mixed textures like tapioca or rice pudding, blech
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see there are others out there. Regular people just don't get it. I can't have my food touching and I can't eat any meat that isn't VERY well done. Its not an issue of picky I will seriously be sick.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I have a friend who doesn't like the foods on his plate to touch. And no meals like stew and soups and such where foods are mixed together. I never thought of it as a phobia... just his thing.

Yep. absolutely no foods touching on my plate. And nothing with gravy, stew included. Will eat broth soups, and Cream of Mushroom soup but that's the closest to gravy I get.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I find it crazy that people bring their leftovers into the bathroom when they are at restaurants! Who does that????? So your taking your food, putting on the counter in the br where people go do their business, some don't want their hands, then take it home and put it on your fridge? Nasty! I also only like to eat peoples home made food if I know what their house looks like...it's strange..lol
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I have a habit of digging through all of my food like an archaeologist when it's food I haven't prepared (restaurants, parties, potlucks, etc).

I have a thing about hair. Stray hairs, loose hairs, in food.

If I see a hair, feel a hair, realize one is in a bite of food currently in my mouth, I vomit violently.

I KNOW this sounds crazy, it is a mental thing, I KNOW this, but honestly, I do get sick when hair is in food.

My sister is like this!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating food homemade by other people. I get thoughts of children sneezing on ingredients, pets sampling when no one's looking, things being dropped and used, dirty hands doing the cooking......on and on and on. Ick.

I assume you've never worked in the restaurant industry.

I don't like eating out much, either. I prefer restaurants where the kitchen is open and you can see what's going on, or where the cooking is done openly.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    entrees that are still alive...totally couldn't make it in some countries

No, anything I have seen alive is out. Never could be a hunter or pick out a lobster at a restaurant. Fishing is out as well. Only things I I kill are mosquito's and flies. Spiders get carried outside.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Strawberries. I can't eat anything that's been in contact with them, or been on a plate with them.

No strawberries here either... cant even stand the smell when others are eating them in the same room. I like all other berries I have eaten.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

It's not that I don't like it but it really does just freak me out, hard to explain.

That makes 3 of us!!

ETA: Woops! 4! :laugh:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    the smell of flesh , dairy & eggs cooking makes me start gagging and sometimes vomit will happen
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

Fish eyeballs in glue.

My sister cant eat foods that touch, nor would she ever eat anything off a bone as a kid. My mom would have to pick chicken off just for her to eat it. I think she's still this way at 33 years old.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Many, many years ago I got food poisoning from spaghetti, I haven't not been able to have it or similar shaped pasta (no angel hair or whatever).

The ham they served in my college cafeteria made me ill and I have since developed an aversion to cured meat. The smell of bacon makes me gag, especially in the morning. Also fried eggs.

So my biggest fear in life is spaghetti carbonara.
  • summer92008
    Options
    I don't have as many as some others, but I am the same with utensils. I do not like touching them to my lips. If it is a fork, I use my teeth to pull the food off with. If it is a spoon, I kind of let the food run into my mouth. I hate eating anything greasy because it makes me feel like my face is greasy afterward. Even if the food has not touched my face, I need to wash it afterward. I also HATE eating meat on the bone. If I have the choice, I will choose the boneless option. If there is no boneless option, I will have my boyfriend pick the meat off for me, or just not eat meat at all if he is not around. Something about the meat being on a bone reminds me more than needed that what I'm consuming was once a living, breathing thing. I also will not eat fish unless it is in fish stick form. Any other type, I will not eat because it tends to have that silver stuff in it. What is that stuff anyway?

Oh, I also refuse to eat peanut butter. When I was in high school, I had a peanut butter milkshake before a football game. In the process of jumping up and down at the game, I puked it up and the vomit tasted like peanut butter. I'm sorry, probably TMI. Since then, I hate peanut butter. Gah. It makes me cringe just thinking/typing about it.

I think we all have food phobias, whether we recognize it as a phobia or just a habit.