Question: What recipes do you prepare for the freezer...

Options
ikkinr20
ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
...and do you cook the recipes all the way through before freezing?

Currently, I've made:
Soups - Homemade Chicken Noodle
Lasagna Soup from Our Best Bites
Chicken Enchilada Soup from Our Best Bites
Italian Sausage and Potato Soup from Our Best Bites

Roasted Tomato Pasta Sauce
Roasted Tomato Salsa

*I cooked everything all the way through before freezing.

The reason for this post:
I was watching an episode of The Pioneer Woman about freezer meals. She prepared some casseroles only part of the way (up to the baking stage) and basically it got me thinking. It think my weekday life would be so much easier if I would have a Freezer day once or twice a month!

Replies

• drware14
    Options
    Every month I'll make a batch of chili and divvy it up into single (sometimes double) serving containers and freeze it. It freezes well, but if I don't let it cool all the way first, the beans end up sort of mushy. I make sure it's all cooked properly first and I've never had an issue with it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you use pinterest there are lots of suggestions if you search freezer meals, and there are places you can go to prep meals specifically for freezing, we have Time for Dinner and Dream Dinners.... so yes there are lots of things beyond just soups that work!

I freeze lasagna, chicken enchiladas, and shepherds pie pretty regularly. I also cook things like ground beef and chicken breasts in bulk then freeze them in 1lb portions to use in things like tacos or pasta sauce.

Lots of options. Good luck, I will be following for others suggestions as well!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    beef casserole
    lasagna
    pasta sauce
    shepherds pie
    seasoned chicken breasts
    sliced roast beef in gravy
    vegetable soup
    chicken noodle soup

i also try and always have african chicken stew in the freezer for days when my partner doesnt like the "english" food ive made

i started doing it when i was pregnant with my daughter as during the week i woulld be too tired after work to make a meal but didnt want to be relying on the heavily processed supermarket ready meals so on weekends i would make 4 meals and freeze portions for a quick and healthy ping meal for after work
  • Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the great suggestions above, I also freeze a lot of ingredients that take quite a bit of time to prepare. I do a lot of stocks, caramelized onions, mirepoix, roasted vegetables, sauces, etc. It saves a lot of time when I make big batches then add them to meals later, and I don't think it affects the quality at all.
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    In addition to all of the great suggestions above, I also freeze a lot of ingredients that take quite a bit of time to prepare. I do a lot of stocks, caramelized onions, mirepoix, roasted vegetables, sauces, etc. It saves a lot of time when I make big batches then add them to meals later, and I don't think it affects the quality at all.

Also beans, rice, cooked chicken (meat only), pulled pork, etc.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I regularly freeze soups, sauces & veggie burgers.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    when i go to the local market they randomly have large bags of peppers, courgettes, onions etc for cheap. ill dice them up at home, bag it and put it in the fast freeze drawer laid out flat. then when a recipe calls for it i just have to tip in the required amount
  • kashcopyright
    kashcopyright Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cheesy broccoli chicken rice casserole. :yum:
    And yep, cook everything up to the baking stage and then throw it in the freezer.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I teach OAMC (Once A Month Cooking). i wrote a pretty detailed post about it here:

Hope this helps
  • ikkinr20
    ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What do you think is better to do: freeze chicken in marinade until ready to use or marinate chicken, cook it, then freeze it for later?
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    In the freezer at the moment I have:
    BBQ pulled pork
    Watercress soup
    Spiced pumpkin soup
    Turkey and chorizo chilli
    Three bean dhal
    Slow cooked vegetable and chicken curry
    Homemade baked beans
    Quorn chicken pies
    Paella
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • missbuncle
    missbuncle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make meatloaf in a muffin tin. I cook them through, let them cool, then package them up separately and put them in the freezer. I use a Joy of Cooking recipe and each one is 185 calories. I usually pair one with some brown rice that I've made and frozen in 1/2c increments (in a plastic snack bag). Vegetable of some kind, and I'm done. Easy, wholesome, satisfying.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I freeze meats and poultry in marinades all the time...some does get cooked and seasoned, ready -to -go, though in a fully cooked state.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I generally don't do prep ahead to cook later freezer meals. Normally I'll freeze already cooked items.
    • Waffles, freeze & reheat in the toaster (like ego, homemade is way better!). Also works well for pancakes & french toast
    • Chili - Make a giant double batch and freeze individual portions. Great for those times I need something quick for lunch or something.
    • Taco Meat - Freeze leftovers to use in a quick quesadilla or something
    • Soups, another one that is super easy to freeze single portions for easy, quick meals

And the only thing that that I will sometimes prep, freeze, then cook is breakfast burritos, but I haven't done that in a few months