Why Am I Gaining?

Options
So I'm five days into it and I have exercised every day and managed to stay under my max calorie allotment for 4 out of the 5 days. Yet I'm a pound heavier than when I began five days ago. What's up?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're weighing yourself too often. You didn't gain the weight in 5 days, did you?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Could be just water weight as well.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Water retention if the exercise is new or recently increased. Normal fluctuations from sodium, hormones, stress, or just plain being alive. Your weight isn't a static number. It's going to go up and down occasionally.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    New exercise, sodium, TOM...could be any of those. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Five days isn't very much time. Weight fluctuates( I can go up and down five pounds in a day sometimes) you can't get hung up on minor daily fluctuations. What matters is the overall trend after an extended period of time. be patient
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Water retention. The body can fluctuate 1-5lbs during the day.
  • NLWears
    NLWears Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Patience... just keep doing what you're doing and you'll see results. I just wrote about that today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NLWears/view/the-3p-diet-700440
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Best to keep a range of 1-5 lb since your weight will fluctuate. I can be 5 lbs heavier one day and then the next day, 6 lbs less. It's no biggie....:flowerforyou:
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Very true! And I'm not going to stop. I don't want to be fixated on the scale, but after five days it would be nice to see a wee bit of progress. It can get discouraging to work hard and so no results. Thanks. I'll put away the scale for awhile.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose, I suggest getting very used to scale fluctuations. You should also learn to be patient. You have to work hard, dieting and exercising all the time...and settle for small losses.

Lots of work, small results, long time.

But it all adds up!