Good Keto Start but now downhill!

Options
So frustrated - started Keto 3 weeks ago and all well and good. In ketosis and feeling amazing - I mean really, really well. Lost 6lbs in 2 weeks which was great. But today put 4lbs back on. What a waste time! So demotivating. I have stuck to the regime and think I am Keto adapted. I have not cheated and checked my carbs everyday. I have not had more than 25 grams and ketosticks are pink/purple. What is going wrong? :grumble:

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Could be normal ups and downs, don't panic
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Not doing keto so can't really comment on that but as long as you are eating at a deficit you should lose weight. Its probably just water weight fluctuations.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Keto is an eating style and lifestyle choice, it doesn't mean you will lose weight automatically. Although you will initially lose water weight unless you are weighing and logging what you eat and are ensuring that you are in deficit then the result will be weight gain
  • Jeanwf
    Jeanwf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been really good logging my food and staying within the fat/protein/carb limits and also my calorie intake has automatically remained in deficit. Maybe it's just a blip! See what happens next week. I must admit even if I didn't lose weight I will stick with this WOE because I feel so well and no longer have brain fog which I seem to have had for the last 5 years!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I must admit even if I didn't lose weight I will stick with this WOE because I feel so well and no longer have brain fog which I seem to have had for the last 5 years!

Absolutely, stick with it. :)

http://neurosciencenews.com/alzheimers-memory-loss-reversal-1377/
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    We can all add several pounds in water weight in just one day. I'm keto also and I ignore the days that my weight fluctuates up. As long as the weight trend continues in a downward path then you have nothing to worry about.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Lost 6lbs in 2 weeks which was great.
    What water weight taketh away...
    But today put 4lbs back on.
    ...water weight giveth back.
    What a waste time!
    Indeed.
    What is going wrong?
    Open your diary.
  • Jeanwf
    Options
    Sorry I am new to forum - how do I open my diary?
  • Jeanwf
    Options
    Sussed it out. Diary now open.
  • suprangela79
    suprangela79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert on Keto but I've been doing it since August and have lost 24 lbs so far keeping my carbs under 20g/day. How is your water intake? I know for myself that if I don't drink between 80-100 ounces of water a day I either see a slight increase on the scale or nothing at all. I've tried to pay more attention to how my clothes are fitting and how I feel then what the scale says. From what I have gathered and my own experimentation when your keto sticks are dark that means you are dehydrated and need to increase your water intake. Try that and see if it works. With keto it's all about playing around and seeing what works and what doesn't. Good luck! Feel free to friend me too if you'd like, I'm always looking for fellow low carbers/keto on MFP.
  • mkroberger
    mkroberger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Let us know how you are doing now? I just started Keto diet (this is day 3), and I get my ketostix tomorrow in the mail. I'm feeling good though! I think because of the recommended fat allowance I feel more satiated than when I was counting calories and macros.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Are you approaching your TOM? If yes, then water retention/bloating. Since you just recently started a new eating regimen, it could be water retention. If you started a different lifting regimen, it could be muscle water retention.

See the pattern? All kidding aside, a few weeks really isn't that long to see permanent changes. Did you measure yourself recently to see if you lost inches? Stay the course for a few more weeks before you get down about it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    curious, is there a specific reason you are doing keto?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A few weeks isn't long enough to see if you're losing weight.

In your diary, you do not appear to be weighing items (everything is very much whole numbers). You could be eating more oil (ew) and other high-calorie items than you realize.

Weigh all solids and measure all liquids. "1 rasher" isn't as accurate as "85 g rasher."

Where did you get the recommendation for 1,200? You may have your goals set too high. Most people cannot easily lose 2 lbs/week. Anyway, you go over your 1,200 cal goal almost every day.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks, which is pretty much exactly what you should expect (1 pound per week).

The initial weight loss was water, which is constantly fluctuating. I weight 3 pounds less when I wake up in the morning than when I go to bed at night.

If it feels good, keep it up. Weight loss is measured in months, not weeks.