Healthy snacks

Options
What is something healthy to snack on. I've been trying to snack on unsalted nuts but I feel like I eat too much, even when I measure out portions. What are some low cal things I can snack on?

Replies

• steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cottage cheese, sushi, only really do nuts now and again fairly high in calories I like sweet chilli and dry roasted nuts though!! Could suggest unhealthy snacks too chupa chup lollys good value for calories 46 calories.
    I err buy a family sized galaxy choccy bar break off 5 squares 105 calories and dunk it in my tea :noway: I actually like any choccy just am careful how much I have!! I also drink the crappy diet coke stuff Pepsi max is my favourite sweet and only 1 calorie..I know it is not good or healthy I really like it tho!!! :embarassed:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Lettuce and salsa
    Gum, lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm no good at nuts. I'm trying to up my calories now I feel like I can finally have them around. I second the cottage cheese and fruit. My favorite snack! Also...seaweed.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    apples with peanut butter
    hummus and cucumbers
    popcorn
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    hummus and cucumbers
    popcorn

I see people mention hummus and peanut butter all the time, and every single time I think "Really?" I consider them high. Maybe it's because I like to eat larger quantities of things, and a serving of peanut butter ain't gonna do it?
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Obsessed with raw sugar snap peas at the moment. Sweet, crispy and juicy but filling too. Even the kids like snacking on them.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Sometimes I snack on a little meal, it's satisfying and when I'm done I'm done. Two of my favourites are: rice noodles with cooked prawns, peas, grated carrots, scallions, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar and veggie base with boiling water poured over the top. I make it extra spicy so it takes a while to eat. My other go to is two ryevita crackers, one sliced apple, one ounce of cheddar cheese and a hard boiled egg.

I keep nuts and soy beans in my desk at work but usually end up eating more calories with these items than I do with the above ideas.
  • jennylilac
    jennylilac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like low cal Babybel cheeses. 50 calories and no measuring!
  • nekoyaz
    nekoyaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! I didn't even think of that
  • nekoyaz
    nekoyaz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes do apples and peanut butter but i always end up eating too much peanut butter lol. I forgot about popcorn. We even have an airpopper. I could be poppin popcorn and snacking on it. I've never tried hummus. Thanks.
  • sallybaine
    sallybaine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hummus and cucumbers
    popcorn

I see people mention hummus and peanut butter all the time, and every single time I think "Really?" I consider them high. Maybe it's because I like to eat larger quantities of things, and a serving of peanut butter ain't gonna do it?

Peanut butter is calorific. 120 calories/1tbs according to MFP. And 1tbs is barely anything.

On eating disorder forums there are whole threads devoted to peanut butter, it's a 'fear food' because their malnourished bodies crave it so badly.
  • mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Edamame is the ideal snack. Takes time to eat, low calorie & high protein
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks, fat free greek yogurt, granola bar, a pickle has almost no calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    anything that you like to eat, as longs you maintain your daily calorie deficit...
  • shakeitupperth
    Options
    1 small can tuna in spring water, 3 tsp low fat ricotta
    1 green apple, 20g reduced fat cheddar
    ½ cup edamame beans (in shells)
    1 cup watermelon balls, 20g crumbled goats cheese, 2 tsp fresh mint

Great list here... http://coachjp.com.au/2014/10/healthy-snacks-for-weight-loss/
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of no butter added popcorn, but I spray it with 0 calorie cooking spray then use the flavored powders lol. I also buy pretzel sticks, the ones I get are 110 calories for 42 sticks. Other than that vegetables. I particularly like baby carrots and grape tomato's.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Broccoli and red pepper hummus :drinker:
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds. 160 calories and 15 grams of protein for a cereal sized bowl. My favorite are the spicy garlic flavoured. I'm not doing low carb but they are only 1 g carbs per serving.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Apple with lots of cinnamon sprinkled on top to make them sweet is my favourite healthy snack. Cinnamon is great because it stabilizes your blood sugar which helps with staving off cravings.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also Rye cracker bead with peanut butter - yum. Rice crackers and mustard or fat-free cottage cheese with black pepper. Two squares of dark chilli chocolate are awesome to get rid of chocolate cravings.