WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. It is a chilly morning here in Nebraska. I so wanted to stay in bed this morning. But am at work and have tomorrow off. Yesterday was another no so good food day. Felt like I was trying to fill am bottomless pit. But today is a new day and back up on the wagon. Thank you all for being here and your support and no judgement. Wanted to get to bed early lastnight as not alot of sleep the night before. Started watching the Nebraska football game and they were doing so bad I went to bed before halftime. I did see by the paper this morning they did get better so they did not lose by much.

Allison--Hope you had a good time at the fundraiser you attended last night.

Joyce--There is a program on the phone that will sync with the fitbit. DH put it on his for me when we were on vacation. So maybe she could check and see if her phone is one that will work.

Patty--Glad to hear your first class went so well. Knew you could do it. Hope they get your meds ajusted and you feel better soon.

Heather--I agree you a very lucky and so are we to be able to read and share your trips. I feel like I am there and I do not have to fly or spend the money.

Welcome Ava--hope to see you post often and get to know you. You sound like you are doing well.

Allison--glad to hear last evening went so well and raised a good amout. Yesterday was also my mom's 81 birthday. I tried calling her acouple times and I think she was with my sister. So will try again this evening when I get home. After work we have to go to a visitation as not able to attend the funeral tomorrow. So to get home before it gets to late.

yanniejannie--Gwen is so lucky to have you as a friend looking out for her.

Sylvia--Congrates on the walk all the way around the lake. You are doing so well.

Looks like the sun is trying to shine. So looking forward to a walk this evening. Have a great rest of today and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki gi ne

October Goals
    1. Log everybite--Good & Bad
    2. List 3 postives each day
    3. Start work on 3 Christmas stockings for new grandbabies.
    4. Drink more water
    5. Live life in the present, There is nothing that can be done about the past
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!!
    My middle boy is 29 today.Oct was a busy month,have 3 oct b/days.
    My friend with the cancer is back in the hospital trying to control the pain.They found another tumor in her diafram.:mad: :cry:
    going to Violet`s early today.
    Welcome new ladies:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: .
    hugs jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Patti, here is the direction website from Quest. I dhttp://questcommunity.com/cincinnati/directions/on't know what is is on that site. The site they bought is not finished yet and they are meeting somewhere else. They don't like to meet in traditional churchy type places. I think they bought an old auto dealership. I remember the first one was in a bowling alley.

Well it was so nice to see all the sweaters and fall colors in church this morning. And I was happy to wear one of my new outfits.

I have seen some one talking about posting a picture. I read in the news and announcements thread on the main page that they are working on posting pictures. Maybe then I can post some pictures. I love to post pictures of my girls and where we go

Looks like we have a few people going through some troubling times again. Just remember you have a huge family to talk/vent to.

Allison I worry that you don't take care of yourself enough. You are always taking care of other people so much, is there time for yourself?

Joyce, Indana
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning
    Well I got up at 6am and made a cup of tea and did Jeannette's Cardio Dance, her Cardio Kick-boxing later and a 40 minute walk after lunch.
    I joined Livinglite yesterday, I should have joined when i first started Duramine, ah well better late than never.
    Today I am washing clothes, ironing dry clothes and bed sheets and cleaning house.
    My breakfast was strange today, 2 crumpets with Flora and peanut butter, muesli and skimmed milk. Was OK
    Weight is still same as yesterday but have lost 1 inch overall.
    Our visitors from Saturday have gone back to Melbourne, they sailed on the Spirit last night
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening on a most perfect Autumn day! The weather here has been amazing this weekend. I am truly regretting my heel injury since it is keeping me from being outdoors as much as I would like.

I don't think I have the wherewithal to respond to anyone--my mind is too scattered. I did read and and think of each of you as I saw your news.

I had two different companies come out on Friday to give me estimates on repairing the crack in my house. The first guy estimated two new pilings at a cost of around $3500. The second guy estimated four new pilings, a total clean out of my crawlspace with new waterproofing, and installation of some sort of air cleaning system for a cost of around $7000. Needless to say, the second guy will never get my business. I don't respond well to scare tactics as a type of sales pitch! If I can find a buyer to make an offer with the contingency that I make the repair, I have someone who will loan me the money. Otherwise, I will have to walk. Both guys said that no bank would approve a loan on a house that had a structural defect like that. I have cancelled this month's mortgage payment and am calling an attorney on Monday to set up a consultation to be sure of the legal issues involved in walking away from the house.

I spent yesterday morning at the home of one our local Habitat for Humanity families helping guys from my church install a fence for their backyard. This young couple has SIX boys ages 4-14! I did some actual work on the fence as best I could while hobbling around. My main task was to try to make a personal connection with the family and I managed that by spending a good bit of time with the mom talking about raising boys, particularly boys with depression issues. It was fun AND it was important for me because it got me out of the house and involved with someone else's life instead of my own!

The boy child came home on the 2 p.m. train yesterday. He immediately went car shopping with his sister for about three hours. It was good to see them spend some time together. She found out that he has been sleeping outside in a hammock in the woods instead of in his dorm room! :noway: :noway: :noway: It seems that there are a number of students who enjoy sleeping outdoors and they have special hammocks that they attach to trees. He brought the hammock home and I tried it out. It was actually quite comfortable. On the other hand, it was like bringing home a newborn! He was up at midnight to take a shower, up at 3 a.m. to go sleep outside, and up at 6 a.m. to come back inside because it was too cold outside. I am a wee bit sleepy today! He's been more communicative this time around although he's still not talking much about his classes. He did say that his grades were good. He is spending the next two nights with his dad and will go back to school from there. He'll be home again for the last weekend in the month.

I've been pretty productive today once I made myself get going. After church, Andrew and I went to lunch (a full day's calories in one meal :sad: ) then came home and put his trail bike back in the trainer. I didn't know how so he showed me how to do it for myself. I rode for about 10 minutes, but preferred to spend that time with him instead of on the bike. After he left with his dad, I started some laundry (on third load now), figured out what I'm doing for a program for my ladies circle meeting on Tuesday, and wrote my paper for my literature class that is due today. (I'm a wonderful procrastinator!) My daughter said the content was good but she has emailed it back to me with some writing/grammatical changes suggested. I'll look at that as soon as I get through here. All in all, not a bad day! :happy: If I figure out some breakfasts and lunches for this week, I'll be incredibly pleased with myself!

Oh crap! I just looked at my calendar and my circle meeting is NEXT week. Oh well, I can either keep looking or go with what I'd already chosen...

I'm off to read the critique of my paper and then turn it in. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening!

Carol in spectacularly beautiful NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Heather,DDs says Sylvia's is a place to try for lunch in Harlem.Both DDs recommend getting a reflexology massage for lower legs/feet.They said wonderfully gentle & perfect after walking NYC. Pat
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    a quick good evening
    ran around crazy today, Joyce I guess I will rest sometime, but when DH is gone I take on a bit more as he isnt here to share the responsibilites.
    like I said earlier, my DB and SIL are out on Nantucket and will be coming home I think tuesday, there is a caregiver up taking care of her mom,well Jean called saying that there blender wasnt working ,could I bring hers up with a bunch of bananas, which I did.
    I got a call after grocery shopping and doing the lawn that they couldnt get a hold of them up at the house, our old neighbors stopped buy and asked me up for chinese food tonight with my other neighbor that is down from Boston.
    anyway Sean wanted me to go check up at there house to see if the phone was off the hook, which it was so stopped there ,then down to George and Mary lous, for dinner, had a lovely time and just got home and took the dogs for a walk.. i never did make it up to my fathers for his birthday, got him some apple crisp donuts, and if I have time in the morning will make him some blueberry muffins for him and drop them off before work, and go see my DFIL. then to work until 5 , then home to feed and walk the dogs, then get up and do it all over again.
    with the way the economy is going I wont be able to retire until I am 70 and even then there might not be any social security left:huh:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm done walking for the day. I hit a new record of 18,017 steps and 7.51 miles!

The kids were over tonight to ride bikes and have supper. It was lots of fun! Now I have to clean up the mess and start some laundry.

Goodnight everyone!

Sylvia
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's Monday morning in Melbourne, and a day I don't get any exercise :sad: I work 10 hours and don't have any energy to exercise when I get home.

Exermom: Peri-peri oil is olive oil with chilies and spices in it. Delicious, if you like spicy things.

My 21 year old daughter has now joined my gym, so we work out together. And as I take my blind son to the gym 2 to 3 times a week, it has become a real family affair. Fortunately there is a family discount at our local YMCA.

I decided to take the day off from food monitoring yesterday, as I had two functions to attend. But I made sure I had a hefty session at the gym that morning. It was nice having some champagne without thinking about logging it.

Looking forward to my sashimi lunch today!
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 52. There's about two million things I should at least attempt to achieve but, for brevity's sake, for the month of October I would like to start resistance training again. Last time it was 4/22/14
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bump to find my place. I hope you enjoy your new computer, Barbie.:flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Carol, so sorry you are having such trouble with selling your house. At least you know now what a problem is and you can set a plan to fight it. So college life i making your son a little weird right now? It's all part of growing up, the independence of college life, experimenting with finding his own life. at least he has come back to the nest and basically the same kid. You sure have a lot on your plate. Take care

Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Carol, so sorry you are having such trouble with selling your house. At least you know now what a problem is and you can set a plan to fight it. So college life is making your son a little weird right now? It's all part of growing up, the independence of college life, experimenting with finding his own life. at least he has come back to the nest and basically the same kid. You sure have a lot on your plate. Take care

Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Sorry, double post
  • judyxshoes
    judyxshoes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, can I join this group please. I have only just found you and loved catching up with your stories. A bit about me. I live in the UK, up in the North of England with my gorgeous husband. I was 60 three months ago and have resolved to get myself leaner and fitter so that I can enjoy a long and healthy retirement. I want to lose around 60 pounds but am happy ???? (ish) to do this slowly. I have joined a gym and am getting there a couple of times a week. I have also started Zumba Gold and am really enjoying it. My downfall is overeating when I am tired, bored, stressed or there is temptation around. In fact when there is any excuse to.
    My goals for October are to;
    Get cardio exercise in 4 times a week, weeks start on Friday,
    To log in to this group most days and post very honestly as I think this will help,
    Plan in advance for dealing with tempting situations.
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday morning to All,
    I really didn't end up getting a lot done yesterday. I did get the laundry done, bathroom clean and kitchen almost completed. I finished chapter two, took the test and am half through chapter 3. I got some of the food prep done for the week and some exercise in, so I guess I had "some" kind of day! I did relax and lay around alot, working a full time and two part time jobs leaves Sunday my only free day and sometimes curling up on the couch and watching TV mindlessly is all I can do.
    The doctor gave me a medicine to help with the dizziness and it seems to be working. I plan to teach abs tomorrow and that's when I almost passed out last week, that jumping up and down did it.

Vicki, I hope it warmed up and you were able to take that walk.

Joyce, Thanks for the directions I am definitely checking it out.

Time to start focusing on my job,
    Good health and happiness to all today,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nancyblum
    nancyblum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad to find the 50 plus motivation and support. Love that word "support" because I have thus far hesitated to share anything on myfitnesspal because when I have scrolled through the comments after the first 5 or 6 positive ones, people start bashing and judging and it seems mean spirited. so, I hope this is a good, positive place on here.

My October goal:

strength training (weights at home or a gym) twice a week.

Write down everything I have eaten on the food diary part of this even if I regret eating it! ( I tended to edit my food entries in the past!)

If (when) I do eat more than I should or don't exercise, don't be so hard on myself - just start over again the next day.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    a quick hidee ho to all,
    logged breakfast and and lunch and snacks, taking the dogs for a walk and then off to pick up prescriptions,down to see DFIL and out to see my dad and give him some blueberry muffins if they ever freakin cook, they are brown on the top and still mushy on the inside:grumble:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,755 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

nancyblum ... judyxshoes ... and other new ladies I missed ... Welcome! You have found a place to post where others accept you as you are and will support you whenever needed!

DS#2 is finally back in school after a week of incredibly painful migraine. Still had a small headache today, but was able to function. Back to the drawing board with food choices, sleep patterns, etc. Will see the neurologist this week to discuss why the Botox doesn't appear to be helping this time and what else we can possibly do.

Carol ... millet ... high in magnesium. Along with some of the other ancient grains, the high magnesium is said to help with migraines. When my son gets IV infusions (which he had on Thursday), they usually include a drip bag of magnesium to help reduce inflammation.

Very busy weekend. My Concord grapes are ready for picking but we have so many that it is impossible to use them all. Made 3 batches of jelly and will now work on making juice. I've offerred the grapes to any who want them ... and really ... it takes 3 minutes to pick an 8 quart basket ... but no takers this year. The deer will be happy.

Our newer (3 years old) apple trees didn't do that well this year. We don't use pesticides and something gnarled up most of the apples. Was still able to make a fresh pie and freeze one for later, as well as a little applesauce.

Was able to stay on track with most of my eating this week ... a 1 pound loss this morning ... but the Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake Bars were a mistake!! Oh my ... so much butter! One 1/16th of an 8x8 pan logs in at 290 calories!!! Fortuntely, not many left and I think I have enough willpower to leave them for my guys.

Spent a little time outside decorating for autumn. Three times I tried to lift a flower box up over my head and hang on the outside of the house ... three times the pumpkin and gourd display I had in it tumbled out and hit me on the head! Sheesh!:huh: You think I would have figured out a better way after the first attempt?

Gloomy, rainy day here so far this morning. Hoping to get a lot done this week.
    Have a great day!
    Beth in Western New York