Any "Food Phobias" Out There?

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    chia seeds + liquid ...... looks like snot ....... barf !
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Squid lol
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Handling any kind of raw dead animal flesh with my bare hands squicks me out big time. Chicken is the worst. Cutting a whole chicken up, I have to go to my happy place. Vacuum packed beef that you have to manhandle to get out of the package, terrible. Wearing gloves doesn't help either, it just adds another level of grossness with the weird texture/temperature stuff and the possibility of trapping blood/goo inside the glove. When I watch cooking shows I am amazed at how nonchalantly the chefs deal with raw meat. *shudder*
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Empty plates get me every time.....hate them!! :sad:
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Handling any kind of raw dead animal flesh with my bare hands squicks me out big time. Chicken is the worst. Cutting a whole chicken up, I have to go to my happy place. Vacuum packed beef that you have to manhandle to get out of the package, terrible. Wearing gloves doesn't help either, it just adds another level of grossness with the weird texture/temperature stuff and the possibility of trapping blood/goo inside the glove. When I watch cooking shows I am amazed at how nonchalantly the chefs deal with raw meat. *shudder*

I have never cut up a chicken, because bones.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a food phobia but tapioca kinda freaks me out.

I never thought anybody else felt this way about tapioca.

It's not that I don't like it but it really does just freak me out, hard to explain.

That makes 3 of us!!

ETA: Woops! 4! :laugh:

For me, it's definitely a texture thing. I also dont do soggy things. No bread pudding, soft scrambled eggs, ,soggy toast, french toast where it is still moist inside, and definitely not soggy cereal!

I thought I was the only weird one about tapioca and meat with bones, lol!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat with bones at all, either, but I don't really think of that as a phobia (for me anyway...it may well be for others).

Mine's more connected to my phobias/issues re: teeth and dental things. I can't eat Oreos without dunking them in milk first...and dunking them so well they're practically mush and I barely chew them at all going down. If I just eat an Oreo cookie "dry" it completely freaks me out to get the dark blackish cookie crumbs in my teeth! For this reason, I don't buy or eat Oreos more than once or twice a year.

I'm also kind of that way about really sticky candies, but it's hit and miss. Caramels I don't mind, but taffy freaks me out. I have not chewed sugary gum since I was a very young child because the idea of chewing something for twenty minutes with sugar in it makes me super nervous that all my teeth will just disintegrate into cavity craziness within a day ;-P I wish I was totally joking but I am not...I got issues...heh
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating food homemade by other people. I get thoughts of children sneezing on ingredients, pets sampling when no one's looking, things being dropped and used, dirty hands doing the cooking......on and on and on. Ick.

This completely. I can only eat homemade food if I make it myself or if I'm visiting my parents. The thought of eating something made in someone else's kitchen just horrifies me. I know I should probably be even more concerned about restaurants but I'm not. I guess I'm just convinced that a restaurant kitchen has to be checked out regularly and someone's home isn't.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    Oh I cannot do raw tuna, and I'm a huge foodie! I don't know why because I like cooked tuna! Ahi is not my friend.

I usually go for "tame" sushi -- like rolls with cooked stuff, veggies only, or something like salmon. But once for an indulgence I got a HUGE sashimi sampler platter. I loved every bit of it EXCEPT the fatty tuna. It grossed me out SO bad, to me it was like trying to eat a piece of raw boneless, skinless chicken breast. I think it's a texture thing.

My husband (who is more sophisticated in his sushi preferences than I am) still thinks it's very surprising that I disliked THAT of all things, since a lot of people really like it...and I was fine with some of the "weirder" sashimi.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Steak and kidney pie. I have prided myself on my willingness to eat anything. Turns out that the smell of urine will cause my jaws to lock shut. Still a bit embarrased by throwing it out uneaten. If I eat anything really salty or sweet my tongue is just ruined for an hour or two. Like when you burn your tongue your meal is just screwed.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My cousin had this fear of jam/condiments growing up, especially in sandwiches. I think it has something to do with them "hiding" in the bread/bun.

I also have a friend who is petrified of raw meat and will not touch or cook it. She will still eat meat but only if someone else prepares it.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I also have a friend who is petrified of raw meat and will not touch or cook it. She will still eat meat but only if someone else prepares it.

While I'm not "afraid" of raw meat I can kind of relate to that. It grosses me out pretty badly. My husband eats pescetarian so we don't buy/cook meat for home and I am 100% cool with that...in the past when I would handle raw chicken or beef (and could ONLY handle boneless skinless breasts and ground beef, nothing with bones) it seriously put a damper on my enjoyment of the finished product. In fact, even when I worked in a supermarket during college I would see a big bag of bone-in chicken in someone's cart and immediately bag it in doubled plastic and/or paper sacks before even ringing it up because the moment any liquid from the bag touched my hands or cash register area I would feel the retch reflex going. Ugh.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't have as many as some others, but I am the same with utensils. I do not like touching them to my lips. If it is a fork, I use my teeth to pull the food off with. If it is a spoon, I kind of let the food run into my mouth. I hate eating anything greasy because it makes me feel like my face is greasy afterward. Even if the food has not touched my face, I need to wash it afterward. I also HATE eating meat on the bone. If I have the choice, I will choose the boneless option. If there is no boneless option, I will have my boyfriend pick the meat off for me, or just not eat meat at all if he is not around. Something about the meat being on a bone reminds me more than needed that what I'm consuming was once a living, breathing thing. I also will not eat fish unless it is in fish stick form. Any other type, I will not eat because it tends to have that silver stuff in it. What is that stuff anyway?

The skin?

I used to abandon water glasses. If I walked away from it, it was contaminated. My husband joked that I was like the little girl in the movie "Signs". If I walked away from my water glass, I'd forget it was mine... or it might have dust in it, or maybe someone took a sip from it. Either way, if it left my sight at any point, I wouldn't drink it. I now have a water bottle that I use at the house exclusively. Whenever Hubby takes a drink from it, I have to disinfect it. He used to get insulted. He'd be like "My tongue was JUST down your throat, but you wont take a drink after me?!?" ...he's gotten over it, but he still thinks I'm weird.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Meat with bones is a bit gross. I can eat it but I will cut off every piece of meat that was torching the home. Fat and any other weird things in meat I cut off. Means if I eat bacon I pick it apart and really don't get much to eat.

I can't drink milk. The colour reminds me of glue and therefore I cannot sit and have a glass of milk. Who would sit and drink a glass of glue?

Chicken skin, fish skin, disgusting.

If I have mayo on a sandwich or hamburger it cannot touch the meat. Has to have a protective layer of lettuce or something between the two.

I can't eat sausages because of the weird grissly bits in them. If I am eating something and come across something like that I have to throw it out.

I hate if I'm at someone's house and they put food on my plate. If I'm having pizza I will get my own slice, it's not the fact people's dirty hands have touched it, I just like to select my own food because chances are it might freak me out.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified of Halloween cereal. Particularly Count Chocula. He's a vampire!!
  • bmoncada1
    bmoncada1 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Less of a phobia and more of a habbit. I always save whatever I believe to be the best for last.

I'm also extremely regimental and could eat the same dinner 4-5 times a week.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    The consistency of avocado
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a phobia, but I eat every thing in a meal separately. I mean this like how most people would put a little bit of everything (different vegetables/meat etc) on a fork and eat it, I will eat each component of the meal individually. As a kid I even took apart my sandwiches and would eat the bread/lettuce/ham (for example) individually. I also can't have sauces mixing, so if we ever had cauliflower cheese with a roast dinner which had gravy, it had to be on a separate plate.

Even now I'm vegan, if I make a spaghetti bolognese, I eat the sauce/veg big first, then the spaghetti, same with curry and rice, and so on and so forth. I've always been told it is weird :/

I do the same thing. I eat all of one food before moving on to the next one. My son cannot have his food touch. Sometimes he will only put one food on his plate at a time.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating food homemade by other people. I get thoughts of children sneezing on ingredients, pets sampling when no one's looking, things being dropped and used, dirty hands doing the cooking......on and on and on. Ick.

^ This! If my mom or dad prepare the food I have no problem as I know they are extremely clean in the kitchen. If people at work bring in their baking from home, no way in hell I'm touching it. Sometimes it will be a mystery person who brought in the baking, so I don't even know where it came from. Ick is right!
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If I was eating M&M's or Skittles, I sort them by color and start with the color with the least amount of pieces first.