eating only one meal a day

Options
I've basically been eating one meal a day for the last week. I can't keep anything down, including water. Any suggestions on some high protein meals? I'm on dialysis now. I've lost 5 lbs in a week. I have zero energy now. Bc I'm on dialysis,.it is extremely important to have a lot of protein. But absolutely nothing sounds good to me. Suggestions?

Replies

• incognitocity
    incognitocity Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i would love to help you in anyway, that sounds awful you poor thing.

do you have any dietary restrictions? sometimes the easiest way to get the max protein is with shakes, something like whey, or wheat isolate or whatever is easiest on your stomach, same goes for the liquid, milk or milk subs like almond milk or even just water. also you can add in anything that might make it more appetizing and easy to keep down. and without being gross...so it DOES come back up...wont be too painful or gross

private message me if you want to talk or for other suggestions, i protein all day long
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    eggs are high protein and relatively kind on the stomach too?

Also - you can get nutritional shakes from the hospital which I had when I was on chemo last year. I used to have fortisips or fortijuices. They aren't all that tasty but have protein and all the vitamins, etc you need in and are easy to keep down.

Em
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Whey protein powder ....easier for you to drink, Maybe some greek yogurt, cheese sticks, or Jerky?

Can you ask your doctor to assign you to a nutritionist (to help you out) too?

So sorry to hear about your dialisys :(
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'll try whey..maybe I can keep that down. My dialysis dietician suggested that too. I've got to try something.
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the same thing happens to me but for different reasons. When this happens I drink a lot of ready made shakes like Slim Fast, Muscle Milk, EAS Shakes....etc. I find that I keep drinks down a lot easier then food when my body does this. Another thing I do is saltines and peanut butter because the pb has protein and the saltines help keep the nausea at bay (sometimes)

Hope this helps!
  • jajajajordan88
    Options
    rolled oats + whatever else you like to add.

I like adding sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, coconut shreds and peanut butter...but all that seems it would be too much for your poor tummy!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    What is the issue, is it nausea from flavours? Texture? Lack of hunger?

You will probably do best eating really BLAND things. Opt for flavourless protein powder (doesn't need to be whey) that you can add to just about anything. I like adding PP to greek yogurt and frozen fruit. You could also look into mass gainers, as they will be higher calorie than regular protein powder. Maybe look for a smaller tub so that on days you've really come in low on calories you can have a scoop and be up easily a few hundred cals (I think I've seen upwards of like... 500 cals??). Potatoes, egg (whites), maybe soup, and you might want to consider more liquid calories other than just protein powder. So e.g. you could make a pitcher of cold-brewed tea and add in some honey or sugar to sweeten it, which will give it some calories. And opting for higher fat foods, like full fat yogurts, higher fat milk, maybe more butter on things.

Example of a mass gainer:
    http://www.gnc.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Pro-Complex-Gainer-Double-Chocolate/product.jsp?productId=3687541&cp=3593182.3593187.45670596.2108309
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Some of the suggestions above may run counter to what you should be doing for your medical condition. Until you get a chance to get more specific information from your doctor, you may want to consider the directions for a dialysis diet from the National Kidney Foundation at

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/dietary_hemodialysis
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    I'm doing the bland diet. I have to watch the carbs bc I'm on pd dialysis and the dextrose that I get pumped into me will absorb into my bloodstream. I don't have diabetes, but must be careful I don't get it. On the plus side, I detest sweets. I've got tons of drs apps lined up for next week. They just are not going to like the weight drop.
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    The other issue is that horrible taste we kidney patients get. It changes the taste of everything.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say look into different protein powder brands you can buy locally, and some mass gainers if you can find them,and look at the ingredients/nutritional info to make sure they are okay for your dietary needs. If you can find unflavoured ones then you can add them to anything liquid or mashable. I feel like egg whites would be worth doing, and maybe add lots of butter or oil to the frying pan. Egg whites are blander than whole eggs so they might be easier to keep down.
  • paddybonner
    Options
    whats wrong with your kidneys exactly?

are you advised against eating meat?
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    At first, before dialysis, I was on a low protein diet. Now it's high protein since dialysis takes most nutrients out of my bloodstream. I'm in end stage renal failure due to nephritis from lupus. I'm currently on a transplant list.