Anyone else using a HF/LC - Ketogenic lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• wicksamy
    Options
    Thanks so much. I fell off the wagon and had a pie for lunch :( Will get back onto it and try some recommendations you gave and look at your link, thanks again!
  • lanajooste
    lanajooste Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,

I started with the LCHF full out today. I've been following it on and off and can definitely say I can feel the difference when I'm committed. I have LOADS of recipes, from starters to desserts, Paleo approved .

Please add me if you'd like. I've got about 25kg to lose and I'm desperate, so very much committed. I'm brand new here and haven't made any friends yet.

Lana :smile:
  • ShadwMan
    ShadwMan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on a ketogenic (LCHF) diet for about 90 days now. I've lost 19 lbs and I'm doing pretty well. I've fat inducted completely and I sometimes do a Saturday carb load (which I usually only get to about 50-60 carbs).

I'm currently set to a 158g fat, 80g protein, and 15g carbohydrates which adds up to 1800 calories. Unless you've completely inducted yourself I would not be running a large calorie deficit. Once you feel (and verified) you're inducted I'd slowly start reducing your calories if you haven't already started losing weight if that's your goal.

If you're doing it for medical reasons then I'd keep your calories stable because it will take quite some time for your body to start to repair the damage done by whatever low fat, high carb diet you may have been on before. If you've been following the American dietary recommendations, or an equivalent, then it is probably substantial.
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a lifestyle but I follow a form of low carb diet most days. Feel free to add me.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it as well paired with intermittent fasting and I eat between 1200 to 2000 calories a day, it really depends.

When I cheat I fast for 24 hours the next day to get rid of the extra glycogen. It works great for me so far! I lost already 25 pounds prior to joining MFP
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am, pretty much a newbie as it recently dawned on my no matter how much of a calorie deficit I created (either through food restriction or increased exercise), my weight hovered at the same amount for a month. I decided to try eating HF/LC and finally saw the scale move again. and for me, right now, this is all about weight loss. But I am enjoying the reduced appetite and increased focus and energy. I've had a few nights of great sleep -which I struggled with before. What I am really enjoying is the reduced cravings and my ability to forgo sweets. I wasn't a huge sweet eater before, but I liked my coffee sweet and would crave diet soda most afternoons. For a while, I told myself that it could be a lot worse, but for me, I believe it was bad enough.

Anyway. I have been able to get into ketosis (hello metal mouth and bad breath) a few days, have lost 4 lbs in less then 2 weeks and in general feel really good. However, I had to scale back on my exercise routines. I had recently completed the C25K program and ran my first 5k. For a month prior to starting HF/LC, I was running 5-6 days a week, 1-3 miles a day. But for the first few weeks of this new eating style, I've pretty much stopped running and exchanged it for walking 2.5-6 miles (longer walks on the weekends, when there is time) every day.

I have found that joining a low carb/keto groups on MFP has been the most helpful/informative. I think because the MFP community is so big and with people having such varied goals (as I said for me now, my goal is weight loss, not fitness so I am focused on diet more then exercise) that you will find less acceptance and more hostility from folks who not familiar or supportive of the keto/low carb lifestyle because it didn't work well for them or just because they will say, but I LOVE ICE Cream...as in all things in life, seek out likeminded individuals/groups and you will have the most comfort and hopefully success.

Good luck!
    Darlene
  • Subzeromambo
    Subzeromambo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My niece introduced me to this diet. I haven't started yet because i an a little scared of it. Do any of you measure your ketone level? By urine, blood or breathe? How long does the bad breathe last? Should I worry about deficiencies in magnesium, zinc, potassium or Vitamin D? Why does every major medical group oppose this diet? I tried every diet my doctor suggested. The last being FODMAP. None of them helped me and I just kept gaining more and more weight. I am never satisfied after eating. Everyone on the Ketogenic diet tells me satiation is one of the big pluses. I look forward to reading more personal stories from everyone!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do any of you measure your ketone level? By urine, blood or breathe? How long does the bad breathe last? Should I worry about deficiencies in magnesium, zinc, potassium or Vitamin D? Why does every major medical group oppose this diet? I tried every diet my doctor suggested. The last being FODMAP. None of them helped me and I just kept gaining more and more weight. I am never satisfied after eating. Everyone on the Ketogenic diet tells me satiation is one of the big pluses. I look forward to reading more personal stories from everyone!

I have a breathe ketone meter and a blood analyser, I ditched the urine strips as they were unreliable - too many false negatives. Shame as they're the cheapest option.

I supplement Vit D as I'm quite well North and my blood level was "insufficient".

If you're eating a balanced high fat moderate protein low carb diet the breath thing may not even arise - ammonia in breath is due to excess protein, acetone smells sweet (nail varnish remover).
  • CherylCalmConfidentCapable
    Options
    I started a low carb diet June 1st, then a couple of weeks later I learned about going ketogenic, and switched to that. I lost about ten pounds in the first 3 weeks, then stayed the same for a couple of weeks as I fine tuned my fat/carb/protein intake. Now, I'm steadily loosing about 1-2 lb a week keeping carbs under 50 g and protein below 100 g per day. No workouts other that walking 3 to 5 miles a day.

One last thing, is that my HDL went from 36 to 58 in about 45 days. Fasting triglycerides fell from 95 to 72, and Cholesterol stayed about the same at 150.

Hi

As an unscientific newbie with a great thirst for knowledge lol, please can you explain the difference between your low carb diet and the ketogenic. I am working on incorporating hflc into my lifestyle but keep hearing ketogenic as another option?!? Also as a side what is HDL?

Cheers in advance
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just started LCHF on 1200 cal with 5% c, 25% p, 70% f.
    Feel free to add me if you need friends to support!!
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My niece introduced me to this diet. I haven't started yet because i an a little scared of it. Do any of you measure your ketone level? By urine, blood or breathe? How long does the bad breathe last? Should I worry about deficiencies in magnesium, zinc, potassium or Vitamin D? Why does every major medical group oppose this diet? I tried every diet my doctor suggested. The last being FODMAP. None of them helped me and I just kept gaining more and more weight. I am never satisfied after eating. Everyone on the Ketogenic diet tells me satiation is one of the big pluses. I look forward to reading more personal stories from everyone!

"Do you measure ketones?" I bought Ketostix and tested at first, just to see what it looked like. They are notoriously inaccurate, though. At this point I do not test anymore as I know I'm in ketosis and I'm not worried about it. I would not invest a lot of money in testing after the first month or two.

I was deficient in potassium and magnesium after a few months - I knew this because I was having nightly leg cramps that were excruciating. I know make my own keto Gatorade (20oz water, 1 packet Crystal Light To Go, 3/4-1tsp potassium chloride powder) that I drink twice a day plus I take one 500mg magnesium supplement daily and my leg cramps have stopped.

"Why do they oppose it?" Because they've been preaching a low fat diet for over 50 years. Because doctors are not usually trained in nutrition and so they give the boilerplate response. There are a LOT of studies coming out debunking the low fat diet and also debunking that eating fat leads to being fat, high cholesterol and heart disease.

You are satiated on keto because eating fat keeps you fuller longer. I eat 3 meals a day - 360 calories at breakfast lasts me from 6am until 12:30 when I have lunch, and I'm never hungry or wishing I could snack. It's great to feel fuller longer and to have endless energy all day, too.

Happy to be friends with anyone currently living keto or to answer any questions someone might have. I'm down 78 pounds since March with severe PCOS, so I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job.
  • domnut
    domnut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am new to keto but loving it - feel free to add me :smile: looking for more like minded friends on MFP!
  • AZ8683
    AZ8683 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1 month in on Keto myself. Love it!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm about two weeks into keto. Trying to control my reactive hypoglycemia. I love it so far. I've lost 6lbs and a bunch of hypo symptoms
  • mamamodge
    Options
    aeb09 wrote: »

"Do you measure ketones?" I bought Ketostix and tested at first, just to see what it looked like. They are notoriously inaccurate, though. At this point I do not test anymore as I know I'm in ketosis and I'm not worried about it. I would not invest a lot of money in testing after the first month or two.

I was deficient in potassium and magnesium after a few months - I knew this because I was having nightly leg cramps that were excruciating. I know make my own keto Gatorade (20oz water, 1 packet Crystal Light To Go, 3/4-1tsp potassium chloride powder) that I drink twice a day plus I take one 500mg magnesium supplement daily and my leg cramps have stopped.

"Why do they oppose it?" Because they've been preaching a low fat diet for over 50 years. Because doctors are not usually trained in nutrition and so they give the boilerplate response. There are a LOT of studies coming out debunking the low fat diet and also debunking that eating fat leads to being fat, high cholesterol and heart disease.

You are satiated on keto because eating fat keeps you fuller longer. I eat 3 meals a day - 360 calories at breakfast lasts me from 6am until 12:30 when I have lunch, and I'm never hungry or wishing I could snack. It's great to feel fuller longer and to have endless energy all day, too.

Happy to be friends with anyone currently living keto or to answer any questions someone might have. I'm down 78 pounds since March with severe PCOS, so I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job.

Wow that is a great wieght loss especially as a PCOS sufferer.

May I ask what you eat and in what portion sizes.

I followed lchf for a month ..not weighing or measuring and did not lose any weight.

Now I am imputing my food choices here and it saysfor me to lose weight to stick to 1200 calories ...however it feels as though my choices are further limited by restricting calories as the high fat pushes me up on the calorie count.However my carbs are really low so thats good.

Seldom hungry though!
    But would like to lose weight ...
  • kahays
    kahays Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and the doc suggested I go low carb and then start on Metformin. I am doing ok getting below 50 carbs a day (is that total or net? I have been going by total) and ketostix do show ketosis. Where is struggle is the fat/protein ratio. I find myself eating less fat than I should. What should I be eating to get that fat up??
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, olive oil, butter, macadamia nuts, heavy cream. If you have a vegetable, put butter on it. Salad, High fat dressings, olive oil, etc. My salad today had 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp home made mayo. It was fantastic.
  • kahays
    kahays Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ahhh....it is so obvious yet so hard to get out of the way of thinking that fat = bad. I've definitely been using more coconut oil (I have read some great things about it). Need to stock back up on cream for the coffee and real butter (heck, I will just make some from that heavy cream). Thanks for the feedback. This is quite the new adventure!
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you will know you're in ketosis by your breath. It will just think and mint will be your best friend. I do use the ketostix and mine are consistently showing moderate ketones present. My doctor is not only on board but encouraging this diet and so is my nutritionist. I am eating between 40 to 60 carbs daily and the first time I did at atkins which was 20 carbs or less for the first 2 weeks I was so excited to lose so much that I stuck to phase 1 for 3 months and lost about 35 pounds. Important to note Atkins is not h1t carb or less diet. That face is meant to kick-start weight lost in last 2 weeks at which point you up your carbs into a level that still allows you to lose a couple pounds a week. I cannot say enough positive things about a low carb diet. I switched MyFitnessPal goals to reflect 5% carbs, 45% protein and 50% fat.