Why does unpopped popcorn have more calories than popped?

Options
I'm not freaking out over the calorie count or anything. Just curious.
We have bags of mini popcorn for Halloween. The label on the bag says 190 calories for unpopped and 160 calories for popped. Why is that? Aren't the contents in the bag the same either way, cooked or uncooked? Am I missing something really obvious?

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It's one of the world's greatest mysteries. I wish I had an answer for you, but alas, I am baffled as well.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When you pop the corn, the violent explosion causes fragments of calories to scatter with such force that they imbed inside the bag and, unless you eat the bag, you won't consume those calories.

That's a blatant lie. I have no idea. That's quite odd.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    It's the great popcorn mystery.
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The EEEEVIL nazi microwaves mutilate the DNA of the popcorn rendering it less caloric and nutritional.

It's true I read it on the internet.
  • onasunnyafternoon
    Options
    Because 1 cup of corn kernels is more calorie dense than 1 cup of popped kernels.

The calories are spread further out with the increased mass.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As others have said, because some of the kernels don't pop. Also, if it's a buttered or flavored type of popcorn, they put the flavoring on the inside of the bag. Some of it ends up on the popcorn, but lots of the oily stuff gets left behind on the inside of the bag. Unless you do like I used to as a kid and scrape the inside of the bag...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Because 1 cup of corn kernels is more calorie dense than 1 cup of popped kernels.

The calories are spread further out with the increased mass.

But in the single serve pack, where there is a controlled amount, that doesn't explain it. Your explanation would make sense if OP was comparing a cup of unpopped to a cup of popped. But strictly speaking, when there is X amount in a sealed container, and then it becomes Y amount once popped, it *should* have the same amount of calories.

But I think the others have got it with the unpopped kernels.
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat the un-popped kernels. what then? WHAAAAAT THEN I ASK?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My Jiffy Pop bag says on the FRONT of effing box "100 Calories" ..... and it's really 110. :mad: :explode:

Can't they just be honest and straightforward ONCE?!?!?!

Popcorn companies are worse than my damn ex-husband. :grumble:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Who eats unpopped popcorn that they need to put nutritional information for it?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    D*mn there popcorn lies!! I refuse to do the math, I'm just going to throw it in as the 100 calories they say in the bag. Or if it gave me two numbers for popped and unpopped i'd log it as the higher amount just to be safe.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​A popcorn kernel contains starch, moisture, and a little oil. As it is heated, the amylopectin (one of the larger starch molecules that can be metabolized into sugar, and therefore used as a source of calories) dissolves in the heated water and is lost in the violent explosion as the water vapor bursts apart the hull. Some of the starch (amylopectin) gets splattered onto the adjacent kernels, but some does get deposited on the cooking bag. If one was to eat the raw kernels, you would ingest all of the starches and oils that are contained in the kernel, which have more calories than the popped kernels, which have lost a percentage of the original starch.

By the way, I buy plain yellow popcorn kernels and microwave them on high in a heavy duty paper lunch bag with the top folded down a couple of times using no oil. When the rapid popping starts to subside (about 90 seconds), remove the bag from the microwave, carefully open and remove the flakes (i.e. popped kernels) to a bowl. Place the bag with the unpopped kernels back in the microwave on high until there is about 5 seconds between pops (about 45-60 seconds more). Tip: if you use this method, watch it like a hawk or you will have burnt popcorn or a small fire in your microwave!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We actually have a popcorn maker at home. The guy loves it but I never use it, so I just threw single serving microwave bags on my shopping list.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    because you're not licking the inside of the bag to get the grease /salt mixture.
  • WolnaDusza
    WolnaDusza Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When you pop the corn, the violent explosion causes fragments of calories to scatter with such force that they imbed inside the bag and, unless you eat the bag, you won't consume those calories.

HAHAHAHA! Awesome explanation. Ummm....what weighs more, 5 lbs of feathers or 5 lbs of bricks?

That's a blatant lie. I have no idea. That's quite odd.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    because you're not licking the inside of the bag to get the grease /salt mixture.
    Speak for yourself
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Who is eating unpopped popcorn anyway? Why would they even need to tell you the calories of unpopped?