Should i just focus on cardio for now?

Options
Ok so I need to lose 50 pounds in order to join the Marines. My question is, should I include weight lifting three times a week? Or should I just focus on cardio and weight lose first, and then slowly include upper body weight lifting? Thanks ????

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    both - full body strength training 2-3 x a week and cardio 2-3 x a week.
  • annaske1986
    Options
    focus on cardio, but dont forget that the muscles is the body mechanics that burn the CALS... so you must eat correctly to feed the muscles
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always do more cardio as I am trying to lose weight but also add in some weight training for strength. For me cardio burns up the cals!
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have similar goals and have given the strength training away until I hit my target weight. I'm focusing on getting fitter. Can always do weights later.
  • lemonyradiomen
    lemonyradiomen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Noooo!!! The evidence proves that if you only do cardio while losing weight, a SIGNIFICANT portion will be from muscle mass. The only way to lose pure bodyfat is by dieting with strength training and eating enough protein - and wouldn't you much rather lose 50 pounds of pure fat than 35 pounds of fat and 15 of muscle?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would say both to be honest!!! Mix it up!!!

Diet is key though - All about calories in v's calories out!!

Abs are made in the kitchen : )
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    both - full body strength training 2-3 x a week and cardio 2-3 x a week.

All this... and if you want to give your weight training an anaerobic workout so you burn more calories, keep rest to 30 to 60 seconds between reps.

More importantly, get a food scale so you can be accurate. Keep in mind, that no matter how much cardio you do, you won't lose weight if you aren't in a deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im for both. Muscle takes time to build uop so it makes sense to protect and limit loss from the muscles you already have so when the fat finally goes you have soemthing to work with rather than starting way back. More muscle can give you more endurance as well which helps you exercise more effectively.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Do both! Work that body!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Marine. My best advice, you need to work both cardio and strength training. Get with your recruiter and go over what you need to do at a minimum to pass both the PFT and CFT. You need to run to get to your 18 min 3 mile, 3 pull ups, and what is it 100 situps I believe, for the PFT. For the CFT you need to be able to complete the ammo can carry, firemans carry, grenade throw and a sprint ( there might be more to the CFT, but it's early in the morning and I can't remember for sure). If you can meet the minimum for those, you should be able to drop those pounds. Get serious, during boot camp and schools, you are going to be PTing pretty much every day. And I can tell you, if you get someone like my husband as an instructor, he's going to be running you into the ground.
    For what it's worth, at our last company family day, they had the kids doing ammo can carry and firemans carry. Our daughter is 6 and made it nearly 30 feet on her own with the ammo can, that weighed only 8 pounds less than she does.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Marine. My best advice, you need to work both cardio and strength training. Get with your recruiter and go over what you need to do at a minimum to pass both the PFT and CFT. You need to run to get to your 18 min 3 mile, 3 pull ups, and what is it 100 situps I believe, for the PFT. For the CFT you need to be able to complete the ammo can carry, firemans carry, grenade throw and a sprint ( there might be more to the CFT, but it's early in the morning and I can't remember for sure). If you can meet the minimum for those, you should be able to drop those pounds. Get serious, during boot camp and schools, you are going to be PTing pretty much every day. And I can tell you, if you get someone like my husband as an instructor, he's going to be running you into the ground.
    For what it's worth, at our last company family day, they had the kids doing ammo can carry and firemans carry. Our daughter is 6 and made it nearly 30 feet on her own with the ammo can, that weighed only 8 pounds less than she does.

An 18 min 3 mile and 100 sit-ups is what, max?

Work both... Doing cardio is great, but a minimum strength test pass is required to get into BCT. Check with your recruiter to find out what you need for qualification to get into BCT when you get there vs worrying about the PFT. PFT will work itself out once you get there, if you're committed.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

An 18 min 3 mile and 100 sit-ups is what, max?

Work both... Doing cardio is great, but a minimum strength test pass is required to get into BCT. Check with your recruiter to find out what you need for qualification to get into BCT when you get there vs worrying about the PFT. PFT will work itself out once you get there, if you're committed.

That might be max, my husband always pushes his Marines to get perfect scores. But if he works towards those goals, while watching his diet he should be able to make it. And if he is already in good shape going in to boot camp, that 13 weeks will be easy.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do both.