Walking slow and burning calories

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Today I walked around Disney World for about 3 hours. Now I used the exercise database and added that, it claims I burned 769 calories, doesn't seem right, because me and my Dad were doing that when we moved down here at least 3 times a week for a couple of months, and we didn't see any weight loss. Now either I'm grossly exaggerating how much I walked, or I'm eating grossly more food than I think. Only problem is, I don't eat tons and tons, I'm eating the same I did in Montana, where I was for 8 months, and not doing any exercise whatsoever.

So something is odd here. In fact I was eating more candy in Montana than I am here as well. Going to the movies less, which means less concessions. So in reality I should be losing, but I'm not.

I understand I don't move enough and I don't eat little enough not to lose weight, but I think the exercise here in the database is way too high. I could see me burning about 450 for today, not 769

If you aren't losing you are eating more than you thing and/or over estimating calorie burns.

It is that simple.

Calorie deficit for weight loss..exercise for health.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did 1 hour on a treadmill, with my heart rate monitor on, it was on a level 10 incline at 5 miles per hour, and i only burnt 230 cals, although the machine suggested it was 600!! and the mfp was waaaayyyy over too!

230 seems low to me...
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    For me personally , i log all that I do specifically for exercise. Anything else that is part of my day.. a walk to the shops, a trip, mowing the lawn ...or whatever... is just part of my normal day
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I did 1 hour on a treadmill, with my heart rate monitor on, it was on a level 10 incline at 5 miles per hour, and i only burnt 230 cals, although the machine suggested it was 600!! and the mfp was waaaayyyy over too!

230 seems low to me...
    +1

Try entering your values in an online calculator. Use the time, your weight, and your average heart rate.
  • caseymtemple
    caseymtemple Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I was going to suggest the same thing. I only log exercise when it's above and beyond what I do normally just by existing.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You burn 100 calories per mile (regardless of speed). At disney, that much walking IS a real possibility.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You burn 100 calories per mile, so in your case, 500 calories. You burn more on incline, so the machine is right!
  • dennis_legori
    dennis_legori Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I agree with that - I did 1 hour on an eliptical and at the end it todl me that I had burnt about 2,200 calories. I entered lass than half that amount into MFP and I believe even that was too high.

You can't trust what a machine tells you. When I go biking I use 2 apps - mapmyride and cyclemeter. On the same route, both give me different amounts for calories burnt.

The only way to somehow accurately calculate calories burnt is by tracking weight - either daily at the same time each day or weekly. The recommend rate of weight loss is 1lb per week which equates to 3,500 calorie deficit per week or approximately 500 calorie deficit per day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've actually had this discussion with another MFP'er in another forum post, although many people didn't like my response. Nonetheless, here it goes:

If all you did was walk from A to B, no matter what the distance between A and B is, and you did not increase speed, vary your incline, or add any weight resistance, don't add it to your MFP log..........you will be doing yourself a disservice.

Because it's nonsensical. You're basically saying that no steady-state cardio burns calories. I lost 50 lbs with my only exercise being steady-state cardio, and a few others have lost a few lbs as well. The best way to discourage a beginner is to tell them something like this.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You burn 100 calories per mile (regardless of speed). At disney, that much walking IS a real possibility.

A 100 calories per mile? For everyone?

Not really.