Some opinions much appreciated..

Options
First off, let me say my goal.... Muscle gain. Not necessarily bulking or cutting. Just progressive gains. It grows as it grows.

I work a night shift job. This is usually 4 times a week, and I might walk 3500-4000 steps a shift. I'd guess this is 1 1/2-2 miles. I also do a moderate jog 5 times a week, 30 minutes a time. This is about 2 1/2-3 miles a session. I do a moderate lifting program every other day. This means 4 days some week and 3 days another week. Usually takes a couple hours. I do 5 sets of 12 reps with a full body work out using a smith machine, bar bells, and dumb bells.

I am about 5'9, and around 10.5-11% body fat. Not entirely sure. This is where my body fat monitor usually reads between. I weigh about 173ish pounds. Maybe 175.

I take in 3000 calories a day. Is this enough?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    First off, let me say my goal.... Muscle gain. Not necessarily bulking or cutting. Just progressive gains. It grows as it grows.

I work a night shift job. This is usually 4 times a week, and I might walk 3500-4000 steps a shift. I'd guess this is 1 1/2-2 miles. I also do a moderate jog 5 times a week, 30 minutes a time. This is about 2 1/2-3 miles a session. I do a moderate lifting program every other day. This means 4 days some week and 3 days another week. Usually takes a couple hours. I do 5 sets of 12 reps with a full body work out using a smith machine, bar bells, and dumb bells.

I am about 5'9, and around 10.5-11% body fat. Not entirely sure. This is where my body fat monitor usually reads between. I weigh about 173ish pounds. Maybe 175.

I take in 3000 calories a day. Is this enough?

I am not sure what 'muscle gain. Not necessarily bulking' means? A bulk is, by definition, gaining muscle.

Also, seems like a lot of cardio when you're trying to gain muscle? More cardio just means you have to eat more.

I don't know if 3000 cals is enough... Try it for a month, if you aren't gaining around 1lb per week then add 200 cals, try that for a month, then add more if necessary.
  • ToxicOnes
    Options
    Well, I want bulk... But not to be some big bulky kind of person. I want more lean muscle. That should clarify it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well, I want bulk... But not to be some big bulky kind of person. I want more lean muscle. That should clarify it.

Don't worry, you want become some big bulky person by accident!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting just do it. After a few months you will have put on some moderate lean mass even at a small deficit. Try to get your diet so you lose no more than .25 - .5 of a lb a week. Then slowly start raising the calories until you reach a point where you stall That's where you want to be. You will see moderate muscle gains at that level. If you want any serious gainage though a surplus is required.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Don't worry, you want become some big bulky person by accident!

Oh and this is true. Getting a bodybuilder physique takes effort dedication and knowledge. And dietary discipline as strict as any cutting diet. As a casual lifter you absolutely will not Schwarzeneggerify. You will build some muscle but it will be within reason.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say if you are eating enough or not. If you are maintaining, losing or gaining weight will be the answer to whether you are eating the right amount.

As for bulk/not bulk thing. You will soon realize how hard it is to actually gain muscle. People that want to put on a lot of mass go in and kill it 4-5 days per week and see very small gains over months.

5'9" 175 at 10% body fat you would probably look like a body builder.

I am 5'10" 170lbs at about 15-18% body fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Muscle is muscle. It is lean by definition. It's the fat you want to avoid - which means not gaining too much/too quickly.

How long have you been lifting for and what does your routine look like.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Quickest way to gain muscle: lift heavy weights and eat 1000 calories above maintenance. Google TDEE + McCardle Hatch to see how to estimate your maintenance calories, but don't obsess over minutia. Barbell exercises are the heaviest. Starting Strength or Wendler 5/3/1 are programs you might want to check out. If you don't like barbells, try dumbbells or bodyweight training, but these won't build size as fast.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Ir you are gaining 1/2lb on average per week and doing a progressive lifting routine, yes 3000 cals is enough. If you aren't gaining weight, you are not eating enough for your life style.
  • ToxicOnes
    Options
    Thanks for the input every one, helped a lot.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options

^^This. At 5'9" 175 and 10% BF fat, you're already carrying a ton of muscle. If it turns out you're a bit higher on BF%, a small cut could really help those muscles pop.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" 163 lbs at 10-11% bf. up from 150 a year ago. Chances are, you are underestimating your bf%. At 173-175 lbs, you could probably cut down for a bit. People typically carry more fat than they think they do. You'll be amazed how light you can get when you really cut. My goal is to get to 173-175 at 10-11% bf, but this is going to take me probably another couple years, a lot of heavy weights, and a consistent dedication to a controlled caloric surplus. But to answer your question, it's impossible for us to accurately determine your caloric needs. I gain very slowly at 3000 / day, but I have a high level of NEAT because of my lifestyle / occupation. You need to figure out your own maintenance through controlled experimentation.
  • ToxicOnes
    Options
    I get the percentage from my body fat monitor, but it could be wrong I am sure. It is no doctor, after all.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I get the percentage from my body fat monitor, but it could be wrong I am sure. It is no doctor, after all.

If you are serious, then I suggest getting your bodyfat tested using a more accurate measure, such as a DEXA scan, bodpod or hydrostatic.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say if you are eating enough or not. If you are maintaining, losing or gaining weight will be the answer to whether you are eating the right amount.

As for bulk/not bulk thing. You will soon realize how hard it is to actually gain muscle. People that want to put on a lot of mass go in and kill it 4-5 days per week and see very small gains over months.

I am 5'10" 170lbs at about 15-18% body fat.

At 10% body fat you would have a clear 6 pack with chiseled obliques and serratus, do you have this?