Mini- success - for short ladies!

Options
oremus1
oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
hi there

I just wanted to say, im 5ft 3 and in my first month I've lost 8lb. It doesn't sound like much and I was disappointed. BUT then I worked out, that is 5% of my body weight.

when you are petite, each 1lb is a greater proportion of your overall weight. when a 5ft 11 lady loses 10lb, perhaps it will be hard to notice. but on a small frame, 10lb is a whole dress size or two and REALLY shows.

I also took some before and after pics and it is VERY noticeable. they are in the nudey so im not sure about posting them on here.

I suggest ALL short ladies who are disappointed with their 5lb 'minor' losses take photos and measurements. you will see what I mean, that is a large proportion of your overall size, and is a big deal!

Replies

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Congrats! yes petite people will surely show weight loss faster than some taller people. Though at 5'7" I've never been considered petite but could see a difference too.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    that is so true.. ^^; even a small amount of weight makes a big difference when you're short!
  • pamcris
    pamcris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It does! I'm 5'2" and a 1 lb can make a huge difference, for both good and bad! Keep the hard work! :)
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yep! 10 pounds is one size for me. I'm 5'2".
  • hedean
    hedean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This explains a lot! I am 5'1" and I feel like when I lose just five-ten pounds my clothes fit differently, but I always figured it was just in my head. Yay for us! It's nice to be reminded that even the mini-successes are successes.
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Although I've got at least 14 more to go, these first 6 pounds have made a big difference. Even if it was mostly water, that took up a lot of room. I'm comfortable in my size 10 jeans and have worn them all day rather than changing back to stretch pants as soon as I got home. At 5' and 140, I felt like I was waddling around, but with even those few pounds off, I can already feel a difference in my walk! I'm looking forward to the next 5 pounds leaving the country, and the next, and the next... :bigsmile:
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    5'2" here. A few pounds makes a big difference. I have 15 left to lose.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and have to keep reminding myself that 20 pounds lost is a big deal and that I am close, or might actually be...a thin person now. Not ready to say that yet though :)
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I lost 15lbs and there was no difference in clothing sadly (I am 5 3 as well). Hopefully this go around I will see it.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    8 lbs is HUGE to lose in a month for a short lady with a petite frame! I am generally thrilled with 4-5 lbs because it does make a big difference. If my pants are too tight, 2-3 lbs is all it takes. I'm 5'2" with small bones. I only have 6.2 lbs to go, but I know it will be the toughest. It's good to hear from other short ladies that they experience the same thing. The weight I have left is at least a dress size, pants too.
  • Kealihc
    Kealihc Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 5' and 5'1" and can say that I lose weight super slow! About a week ago I was getting very discouraged, but had a little pep talk with myself and am now back on the wagon! Progress is progress no matter how small!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    this is very true, i'm 5 foot tall (maybe 5 and a half.. one can hope..) and just with a 5 pound difference i find a size of clothes to be too tight, or too loose/comfortable depending if it's a 5 pound gain or loss. 10 pounds was like a size or two different for me! it's a bit crazy, cus it doesn't seem like much.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    8lb in a month is fantastic!

I'm staring down the barrel of 1lb a month if I'm very careful. It's because of specific medical issues. But 2lb per week is in the aggressive end of healthy weight loss. Congrats!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    8lbs in one month is brilliant. Well done you.

I am only 5ft 0in so thank you for reminding me that 10lbs is a lot on a small person. I guess we have to have some perks :laugh:

I just lost 8lbs in the last month and yes, my trousers fit a whole lot better. I thought they had stretched until you mentioned this but now I know they haven't so thank you for the info. I am now motivated to lose more. :drinker:
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the way I'm losing weight this time. It's coming off in different places. I didn't really see the changes from month to month (we take pics at the end of every month along with measurements) but this past photo shoot I got the a-ha moment that I am dropping the pounds. That has been the most impactful for me as a shortie!

I need to remember that slow, consistent loss is going to stay off longer (if not forever please) and where I am is pretty darn good. I'm half way to my first big goal and while I wish that I could get there by Christmas, I'm realistic. Plus, I'll have no clothes to go back to work in if I do that. lol. I'm almost back into all of my clothes from 3 years ago.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's so true. I noticed the difference when I began to lose weight. I could tell a difference in how my clothes fit at just 6 lbs down. Every 10 lbs lost was another pant size down, too.
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm 48 yrs old and 5ft 2in on a good day lol - I have lost 18 lbs since July and have noticed i have been able to get into jeans that i haven't worn for yrs and the bra extender has now been ditched ( couldn't force myself to buy new bra's !! ) so I know the inches are going ... just got to keep going slow and steady wins the race ( but it does make me wish it was July next yr and I will have lost 5 stones lol x
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    wow d3gus well sone!!
  • d3gus
    d3gus Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you..oremus1 I have now lost 27lb so must be doing something right :) I just walk every day between 30mins to lhr and use dumbells to work my arms and top end morning and night - nothing mega - but noticed it is having some impact on my arm definition :)
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I beat myself up when I compare myself to other peoples weight losses. I've lost 2 and a half stone (as of this morning) since May 2014. Seeing that pound come off this morning after 3-4 weeks of staying the same makes me one happy girl! (I'm 5 foot 1)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!