ketogenic diet

Options
hi everyone my names justin i just had a quick question about burger patties (relating to ketosis)
so lots of people say to try and do 75% fat 20% protein and 5% carbs.

now on these burgwer patties i purchased from walmart they are 75%lean/25% fat
but i heard when you cook them up you actually lose some fat in the patties.

NOW my question is if i just drink the liquid that comes out of the patties in my skillet, can i safely count that as whatever fat the nutrition label actually says on the patties?

for example the box of patties i have says 28 grams of fat, would taht mean i would get all 28 grams of fat if i do this?
sounds nasty i just want an answer.

would i get all 28 grams of fat if i cook one patty and consumed the liquid is what im asking, thanks!

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get into ketosis (which is the point of a ketogenic diet), you don't need to overthink it too much. You have to worry about your daily carb intake which needs to be less than 50 grams typically. Some people can go higher some can go lower.

Just googling I found this: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Have you ever done a ketogenic diet before or is this the first time?
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    personally i agree with the previous post that you are over-thinking, BUT that being said, it is a good question when thinking about any foods and their fat content pre-cooked vs. post.

if i cook a hamburger patty, i just log it into MFP as a beef patty (with the stats on the fat content that match the meat i purchased) and then let MFP fill-in the rest. it isn't worth it to worry so much about the details.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    NOW my question is if i just drink the liquid that comes out of the patties in my skillet, can i safely count that as whatever fat the nutrition label actually says on the patties?

This would indeed result in weight loss for me, as just the thought of drinking pure skillet drippings after cooking fatty hamburger meat makes me want to throw up.

Keep it simple. Log the number, ignore the drippings, enjoy the burger and move on with life.
  • juhstun
    Options
    well i heard if you dont have enough fats you wont get enough energy, ive been at 20g of carbs a day for last 3 days so far
  • juhstun
    Options
    ive done atkins before
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't drink the fat. You will probably get sick. If you're worried about the fat content, then add a tablespoon of mayo to your burger, or put ranch dressing on it. The point of keto is to MEET your protein goal, LIMIT your carbs and fill the rest with fat.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The rules-of-thumb that I have learned to follow are, in order:

1. Limit carbs to 20 net grams
    2. Meet your protein goal
    3. Fat to satiety

There is no need to drink fat, eat butter, chug cream, sip on coconut oil just to reach your fat macro unless you're hungry or are eating at too high of a deficit (greater than 30-40%)
  • juhstun
    Options
    well right now i think i should be doing 20g carbs 85g protein 140g fats

sounds good for someone 5'5 at 165 ?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options
    The rules-of-thumb that I have learned to follow are, in order:

1. Limit carbs to 20 net grams
    2. Meet your protein goal
    3. Fat to satiety

There is no need to drink fat, eat butter, chug cream, sip on coconut oil just to reach your fat macro unless you're hungry or are eating at too high of a deficit (greater than 30-40%)

This!

Though I do drink coconut oil in coffee. And sometimes if fat is a little low, or I'm a little hungry at the end of the day and have 100cal, I heat up broth, melt a full TBSP of butter in it, and then add heavy cream. Fricking yummy!

To help with the fat adding up, I cook with butter or bacon fat, and use heavy cream and cheese as well. I mostly do this as sauces for my veggies. It is tasty and gets the fat in without worrying about it much.

For my meats, I often spice up some sour cream and use that as a dip. Or mayo.

Hope the tips help.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,967 Member
    Options

Sure. It looks good on the calculator. But it doesn't have to be set in stone. Try it for 2 weeks and if it's not working well then adjust your protein or fat. Lower protein/higher fat.

So looks good on paper. The percentages look right. I set my macro percentage as a goal but I'm still losing while being flexible a little with them. YMMV. I have to actually watch my calories. Some people do not.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I'll just repeat: Minimize the carbs. Eat your protein. Eat fats until you're not hungry anymore.

The other night I was still really hungry at bedtime even though I was, technically, over calories. Before bed I chugged some heavy whipping cream.

Yesterday I wasn't hungry at all until dinner, and this morning I was down a pound.

Crazy **** going on.
  • stacymhanbury
    stacymhanbury Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    New to this diet, started 8 days ago and already lost 4 pounds! Keeping my carbs at 20g/day, protein at 55g/day and fat at 130g/day.

I am not having any trouble staying at my carb limit but keep going over my protein limit - and never reaching my fat goal. How much do I need to worry about going over my protein goal? I am currently ending up around 80g each day and that is mostly from trying to get enough fat.

Any suggestions?