loosing inches but not pounds

Options
I have been working hard for about a month watching my food intake and exercising. I am trying to ride at least 80-100 miles a week on the road bike and ususally do 40 minutes of cardio on the eliptical on the off days. Initially the weight came right of but the last couple of weeks it has stalled. I am loosing inches and have dropped a size in clothing and about 3 notches on my belt. I am happy with my fitness progression but I still have 60 pounds to loose to hit my personal goal weight. Any tips on breaking through this stall?

Replies

• bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Trust the Process, you are doing great!
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a stall to me! Sounds like you're doing fine. Just stick with it. When I was initially losing (a few years ago when I had quite a bit to lose) I'd notice the same thing. Really, what's more important... inches and the way your clothes fit or a number on the scale?

Keep up the good work!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have been working hard for about a month watching my food intake and exercising. I am trying to ride at least 80-100 miles a week on the road bike and ususally do 40 minutes of cardio on the eliptical on the off days. Initially the weight came right of but the last couple of weeks it has stalled. I am loosing inches and have dropped a size in clothing and about 3 notches on my belt. I am happy with my fitness progression but I still have 60 pounds to loose to hit my personal goal weight. Any tips on breaking through this stall?

If you're losing inches and not lbs, what is the difference? This isn't really considered a stall if your body is changing. You're actually changing your body composition. Stalling would be if you didn't change inches or weight. Be happy with the loss in inches and call it a win because it actually is one! :flowerforyou: Don't think of your scale as the only measure of success, and think about the big picture.
  • suzy0317
    suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue....When I started I was losing 2 lbs a week for the first 6 weeks. Now it's a consistent 1 lb a week, but I dropped 2 clothing sizes. They tell me that muscle is heavier than fat and that's the reason for the slower loss. The body change and how you feel are the most important.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention and some noob gains from the added exercise regimine. When your body starts a new exercise regimine, or you increase/adjust a current one your body will retain water for muscle repair. If you are truly in a caloric deficit, once the body adjusts, the water will flush and you'll see the change on the scale. Also, if you're brand new to exercise, a returning athlete, obese, or severely undertrained, a person will see muscle mass gains very early on. <Noob gains, mixed with water retention can stall out the scale as your body indeed continues to shrink.

I can gain upwards of 6lbs one day to the other after a tough lifting session.