Fatty deposits on top of muscle?

Options
Hornsby
Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
Hopefully I can explain this and someone else knows what I am talking about. On the parts of my body where I am pretty lean, I get little pebbly feeling fat deposits (just guessing that that is what they are). I'm just curious if anyone has had that and what it is... Anyone know?

Replies

• alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I get what I think you're talking about on my heels. It's a herniation of subcutaneous fat. Not sure what it's called when it occurs elsewhere, but in feet, it's called Piezogenic papules
    Small, soft lumps can be observed around the fat pad of the heel when a person stands. These small, soft bumps are usually found in groups. They are called Piezogenic papules and represent herniations of fat from the heel fat pad. They are rarely painful and no treatment is necessary. Removal of the pziogenic papules should be discouraged. There is no adequate treatment for their removal, and surgery to the area will only make the condition worse.
    from http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/document_disorders.cfm?id=121
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I get what I think you're talking about on my heels. It's a herniation of subcutaneous fat. Not sure what it's called when it occurs elsewhere, but in feet, it's called Piezogenic papules
    Small, soft lumps can be observed around the fat pad of the heel when a person stands. These small, soft bumps are usually found in groups. They are called Piezogenic papules and represent herniations of fat from the heel fat pad. They are rarely painful and no treatment is necessary. Removal of the pziogenic papules should be discouraged. There is no adequate treatment for their removal, and surgery to the area will only make the condition worse.

He is talking about on top of muscles though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Lipoma. I got one surgically remove from the base of my neck (optional surgery) because the lump was pretty big. I never squatted with a pad, so the bar just kept rubbing and it developed.
    Lipomas are different in size and usually don't need any type of treatment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hornsby
    Options

Yes, they are just little pebbles on my leanest areas. I think the bodyrecomp link is right on. Would like to know more about it though I guess.
  • ActuarialChef
    Options
    Lipoma. I got one surgically remove from the base of my neck (optional surgery) because the lump was pretty big. I never squatted with a pad, so the bar just kept rubbing and it developed.
    Lipomas are different in size and usually don't need any type of treatment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I first thought lipoma too, but aren't they usually bigger? I wouldn't consider them "pebbly".
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what you're talking about... I've got a few of them in various spots.....
  • ActuarialChef
    Options

Not sure he said on top of muscles specifically. I think it's likely that in the lean areas the fat is just moving around and pushing through the under layers of skin. They'll go away eventually.

I was never really overweight, but when I lost a few pounds the piezogenic papules stopped happening to my feet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I notice my stomach fat feels pebble like when I'm getting ready to have a larger loss. Seems like the fat cells fill with water and become harder, then I have a large loss and they pebble feeling goes away.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I notice my stomach fat feels pebble like when I'm getting ready to have a larger loss. Seems like the fat cells fill with water and become harder, then I have a large loss and they pebble feeling goes away.

Yes, these do go away. I mainly get them on my quads and calves, and on my inner bicep area as that is where I am the leanest at this point (Can't wait to have them on my ab area...lol).

They are little pebbles between the muscle and the skin to be more clear.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple of them for the last couple of years. One on my arm and a fairly large one on the center of my chest. They haven't gone away. I went to the doc when I first noticed them. He said they were just fatty deposits and not to worry about them.