Any "Food Phobias" Out There?

Options
124»

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    A majority of my dishes come from me..... If I leave a glass of water unattended I will not drink out of it, I will toss it on the plants and wash it or rinse it out well. My kids love to steal my cups so I can never be certain.

^ This as well!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If one of two things make it into my mouth, I can't take or drink another bite: hair, meat googies (fatty chewy grissley things).

My grandparents were children during the depression. They say this is the reason they can never throw food out regardless of expiration dates. After a few bad experiences I'm very cautious eating at anyone else's house. If you place anything on the table in its original container (butter, sour cream, etc) I will look at the expiration date. If it is not in the original container I need to smell it.

I will not eat lunch meat 2 days after purchased from the deli, or after a pre-packaged one is open. Sliced roast beef, regardless of age, freaks me out because it tends to get that weird shininess.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options

My grandparents were children during the depression. They say this is the reason they can never throw food out regardless of expiration dates. After a few bad experiences I'm very cautious eating at anyone else's house. If you place anything on the table in its original container (butter, sour cream, etc) I will look at the expiration date. If it is not in the original container I need to smell it.

Reminds me of my MIL. I CAN NOT eat at her house. Everything is expired and her food handling is so dangerous. Horror stories (in my possibly phobic opinion)

- She made tacos for me for my birthday one year. I casually walked into the kitchen and saw the meat sitting in the Styrofoam container from the grocery store. ...but it was browned. Did she cook it already and then put it BACK in the container? Nooo, she assured me she did not do that. She'd just started cooking it last week, but someone invited her to dinner, so she stopped cooking it and put it back. It was pinkish still when she put it back...but, you know...air exposure. Ugh.

- She INSISTED on bringing food to the Easter Dinner I was preparing for the family. I begged her not to, but she had this porkloin that she'd brought to my sister-in-laws house, but they didn't want it, so she brought it to her friends house, but they didn't want it. It had been thawed and refrozen so many times...she was bringing it and that was that. I figured we'd just throw it out when she wasn't looking. She brought it in a styrofoam cooler. Plunked it on the counter next to the hors deurves I'd set out. It stunk and was leaking. When my husband moved it off the counter, there was a smeared pool of brownish blood left on the counter. Right next to the crackers and cheese and deviled eggs. No. Just no.

- Went to her house on Christmas morning and she was defrosting a frozen half used pack of bacon...on the heating vent on the floor!

- She hosted our Engagement Party. One of my husbands elderly aunts was like "This barbecue sauce tastes odd". It was ketchup...it was just brown and expired 10 years ago. I kid you not.

- One Thanksgiving, we were sitting around the table and she plunked down about 10 wish bones and said excitedly for us all to make wishes. I was like...you only made one turkey, right? Yes...but every time she makes a turkey, she saves the wishbone on her windowsill for later. Ughhh

- My husband and I were both overweight. I think it was 2006 or 2007. She brought some giant tubs of powdered slim fast to our house one evening, completely unasked for. Just a big old "hint hint". They were partially used...guess it didn't work for her. I also didn't recognize the packaging. Checked the expiration date - expired in 1997.

There's more, but I've got the heebiejeebies.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    OMG SuperVixen2B -- those stories have just GIVEN me some food phobias...wow! :-(

I have noticed at potlucks certain foods from smokers' homes smell and/or taste like smoke, and that freaks me out enough to steer clear of many things others cook. But I really never considered some people being THAT nasty with their food prep/storage habits. So gross!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a phobia, but I eat every thing in a meal separately.
    +1, though I've never had a problem with sandwiches.

It's not as bad as it used to be, I can now mix rice with tuna or omelette and eat it that way, but I still prefer to eat meat/eggs first, rice/bread second and veggies last.

Also, I love eggs but hate when there's any sort of liquid left in them and I eat omelette flipped, not folded.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    OMG SuperVixen2B -- those stories have just GIVEN me some food phobias...wow! :-(

I have noticed at potlucks certain foods from smokers' homes smell and/or taste like smoke, and that freaks me out enough to steer clear of many things others cook. But I really never considered some people being THAT nasty with their food prep/storage habits. So gross!

Oohhh, I could tell you stories. So many stories. She hasn't killed anyone yet, but I feel like it's just a matter of time. She has no respect for temperatures, expiration dates, separating cooked/uncooked foods and she's always looking for a deal or to save a buck which can lead to some pretty questionable habits.

OH GOD! Almost forgot about the engagement party cake she insisted on making for us. She was taking a cake baking class and begged us to let her make the cake. I really did not want her to, but I didn't want to step on her toes or hurt her feelings. It's only a cake, after all. What could go wrong? I'll order it from least wrong to MOST wrong...
    1.) She covered it in fondant. Just fondant. No icing. So it was dry cake with dry fondant on it. Yummmmmm.....
    2.) She buys betty crocker cake boxes by the dozens when they go on sale. She'd left the box on the counter and out of habit, I checked the expiration date. 2 years expired.
    3.) She'd made the fondant decorations in her class a week prior. Little flowers and pearls, etc. etc. So they were stale as all get out. But the best part??
    4.) She asked me to help her decorate it. She headed to her pantry of nightmares and took out a metal cake pan covered by a tea towel. This is where she'd kept the fondant decorations she'd made (a week ago, remember). When she took the tea towel off to present her decorations to me...ants. Covered in ants. I jumped back. She giggled. Brushed them off. Said it was fine. She decorated the engagement party cake in her week old ant-chewed fondant decorations. I mentally checked out at that point.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    omg ewww that is awful!!!

Makes me feel a bit better about my habit of licking spoons and things when I'm making cookies for JUST my husband and I ;-) I have a whole other set of standards when I'm taking food to anyone else, I swear.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Reminds me of my MIL. I CAN NOT eat at her house. Everything is expired and her food handling is so dangerous. Horror stories (in my possibly phobic opinion)

- She made tacos for me for my birthday one year. I casually walked into the kitchen and saw the meat sitting in the Styrofoam container from the grocery store. ...but it was browned. Did she cook it already and then put it BACK in the container? Nooo, she assured me she did not do that. She'd just started cooking it last week, but someone invited her to dinner, so she stopped cooking it and put it back. It was pinkish still when she put it back...but, you know...air exposure. Ugh.

- She INSISTED on bringing food to the Easter Dinner I was preparing for the family. I begged her not to, but she had this porkloin that she'd brought to my sister-in-laws house, but they didn't want it, so she brought it to her friends house, but they didn't want it. It had been thawed and refrozen so many times...she was bringing it and that was that. I figured we'd just throw it out when she wasn't looking. She brought it in a styrofoam cooler. Plunked it on the counter next to the hors deurves I'd set out. It stunk and was leaking. When my husband moved it off the counter, there was a smeared pool of brownish blood left on the counter. Right next to the crackers and cheese and deviled eggs. No. Just no.

- Went to her house on Christmas morning and she was defrosting a frozen half used pack of bacon...on the heating vent on the floor!

- She hosted our Engagement Party. One of my husbands elderly aunts was like "This barbecue sauce tastes odd". It was ketchup...it was just brown and expired 10 years ago. I kid you not.

- One Thanksgiving, we were sitting around the table and she plunked down about 10 wish bones and said excitedly for us all to make wishes. I was like...you only made one turkey, right? Yes...but every time she makes a turkey, she saves the wishbone on her windowsill for later. Ughhh

- My husband and I were both overweight. I think it was 2006 or 2007. She brought some giant tubs of powdered slim fast to our house one evening, completely unasked for. Just a big old "hint hint". They were partially used...guess it didn't work for her. I also didn't recognize the packaging. Checked the expiration date - expired in 1997.

There's more, but I've got the heebiejeebies.

I wouldn't want to eat at your mother-in-law's house either!

tumblr_m83tks6Fjr1rys4czo1_500.gif
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have lots of food "phobias" I have a mental issue where if something happens once, or I learn of something, I'm done with that food forever.

I lived in England when I was young, my dad and I watched some kind of documentary or something about mad cow disease. I haven't eaten beef since I was 8 years old, but I stopped eating hamburgers when I was like 5 or 6 because there was a piece of grissle in one of my burgers.

I got salmonella when I was 19, I've been a vegetarian since then.

I threw up creamed spinach when I was 10, can't eat cooked spinach unless it's mixed with something, not the whole dish. Oranges when I was 16, so no more oranges.

I will only eat sour cream out of a tub the day I open it, after that it's bad.

I don't like milk or anything milky like shakes or ice cream.

I won't eat anything with eggs in it unless it's dry for instance the consistency of a brownie, if it had eggs, I won't eat it, but cake is ok.
  • xoAnnettexo
    Options
    Tomatoes! I used to eat them all the time until I got a bad batch and was worshiping the toilet all night. That was over 8 years ago.
    I haven't eaten a tomato since. Even the smell makes me nauseous. Ick.
  • nsides0427
    nsides0427 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Jello... just no. Seriously the thought creeps me out. It just jiggles and dances in front of me. Totally grosses me out to think about eating food that dances. Eek! Made for a hard time in college when everyone else was doing jello shots. *No thanks, I'll just nurse my beer over here* :sick:
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I have lots of food "phobias" I have a mental issue where if something happens once, or I learn of something, I'm done with that food forever.

For me it's not forever but quite a long time.

Toured a cottage cheese plant early in elementary school and the smell grossed me out so badly, I didn't try cottage cheese again until I was about 25. I loved it when I was little but that field trip was enough to put me off it for well over a decade.

I couldn't eat any fast food or restaurant-made chicken sandwich with mayo for about 5-6 years after a bad experience a friend had. Some sort of bad pocket in the chicken that had a pus like substance in it...ewwww. Sorry for even sharing that LOL

Puked after eating some crème horns with friends in high school (along with alcohol). Didn't eat those again 'til my 30's.

Puked once in college after drinking peach soda...wasn't drinking, just getting the flu...even now I still have a hard time drinking anything remotely peach flavored.