Share Your Best Advice

Options
13»

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1) Don't let the scale be the boss of your mood. Remember water weight can cover weeks of fat loss and track the trend over months.

2) Learn how to cook non-processed foods ways you enjoy. You don't want to use a lot of butter and oil, but it's okay to put in a little bit. Think 1 tbsp per serving as a good rule of thumb. Season stuff! My go-to veggie trick is to steam them then put serving# times tbsp olive oil in a mixing bowl with the finished veggies, salt, garlic, thai chili paste, and minced ginger.

3) Don't think of this as temporary. The number of calories you take in should go up when you hit your goal weight, but going back to your old habits will just put you back at square one eventually. Learn new, healthy habits, stick to them forever. Even if the only healthy habit you adopt is eating appropriate portions.

4) Budget one day a week to eat at your maintenance intake and let yourself have one or two things you wouldn't normally eat, as long as you stay within calorie budget. That way, when you get a strong craving, you can tell yourself "Friday I can have that!" instead of feeling like it's hard to ever eat your comfort foods again. You can also budget in tiny portions of your favorite desserts here and there, too, if it works with your goals and you can fit it in your calorie range. Some people prefer that method.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You guys are too funny. I JUST downloaded the c25k app yesterday. I'm at the beach and considering starting to use it on the boardwalk but nervous with all the OTHER people running very nicely on the boardwalk.... :P

My advice...........don't give a dang about what the OTHER people think. There will always be someone fitter, faster, smaller, stronger thinner....you name it, but we all start somewhere. Besides, most of them are too wrapped up in themselves to even notice you. Yes, my flab giggles when I run, so what, I'm doing it, very slowly mind you, but I am out there. Yes, my jumping jacks sound like an elephant stampede, but I am still jumping. Don't listen to the naysayers, you know what you want and need, go for it.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% mental.

Yes, calories in/vs calories out, weigh and measure your food, exercise, log everything, etc. But it will all fail if your head is not in the right place.
  • marisas80
    marisas80 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me:
    Food scale and measuring cups...weigh and measure your meals so you can have better tracking.
    Never go more than 3 days without working out.
    Sunday plan out your lunches for the week.
    If you have a craving, eat it! But just one or two bites.
    Don't drink your calories.
    People that can keep you accountable helps. I joined a group fitness program and it has really helped me stay motivated and accountable.

Good luck!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You guys are too funny. I JUST downloaded the c25k app yesterday. I'm at the beach and considering starting to use it on the boardwalk but nervous with all the OTHER people running very nicely on the boardwalk.... :P

My advice...........don't give a dang about what the OTHER people think. There will always be someone fitter, faster, smaller, stronger thinner....you name it, but we all start somewhere. Besides, most of them are too wrapped up in themselves to even notice you. Yes, my flab giggles when I run, so what, I'm doing it, very slowly mind you, but I am out there. Yes, my jumping jacks sound like an elephant stampede, but I am still jumping. Don't listen to the naysayers, you know what you want and need, go for it.

Agree with the bolded. When I'm running I'm pretty much in the zone, and only notice other people on the trail so I don't crash into them.
  • jannthompson
    jannthompson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me the first 30-days are the hardest - and for me it was true. It took me every bit of those 30-days before it turned into routine. Don't give up.

Focus on making manageable life-style changes. Sure some diets out there will be successful, but will you be able to upkeep that the rest of your life?

Try different things. I started doing the C25K and HATED running with a passion. Now, I love it. I'm still working on speed, but I have one 5k under my belt and registered for another in November. You'll be surprised that things you may have loathed in the past, suddenly become something you are very passionate about.

Don't deprive yourself. If you are craving something - fit it in. Just don't go overboard.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Read the stickies posted in the forums. They have already answered most questions you might have and some questions you have not thought of yet, as well as being full of great advice.
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    Use small plates and bowls instead of standard sized.
    Use a salad fork and a teaspoon and take smaller bites.
    Wait to load your fork or spoon until after you swallow,
    Don't clear away plates and wrappers while you're eating. Seeing what you've already eaten while you're still eating will psychologically cue you to eat less.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    To be specific:

1. Kitchen safe for treats with timer lock
    2. Limiting the exposure to foods I could possibly overeat
    3. Cooking at home
    4. Food scales
    5. 30 g of sweets everyday keeps me sane and I don't feel deprived
    6. 'End of overeating' - nice book about psychological aspects of being overweight
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Hey guys, those of you who have lost weight (in a healthy way), I thought it might be nice if you could share your words of wisdom with those of us just starting out.

I know many of you will focus on mindset so bring that on but I ask you not to neglect the physical advice too. I'd love specific advice rather than the general stuff that's usually given. So for instance, if your wisdom is calories in calories out, what specifically helped you regulate that? A scale? Great, share what was the most difficult part of using the scale or accurate logging and how you overcame it.

Thanks! I am really looking forward to hearing how you made success!

One Word: Consistency

Be consistent with logging my food
    Be consistent with portion control
    Be consistent with physical activity
    Be consistent with educating myself on nutrition & fitness

:bigsmile:

I know ... rather boring but it really is that simple.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything and really get a feel for portions, that way when you go out of town on vacation/don't have service, you can get a more accurate picture of what you're eating that week. Then go home and continue logging everything.

Good idea for when you are truly in the boonies, but don't forget that MFP is online (so unless you are really Internet-free, you can log as long as you have a connected laptop). :flowerforyou:

I went on an 8 day cruise and could not get internet!
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really think that weight loss is very simply calories in and calories out. Managing apatite and eating habits is purely a mental and emotional deal. There are any number of eating plans that will result in weight lost if followed consistently. I've lost weight on every diet I've been on and gained it back once the diet was done.

For me the battle has always been the emotional side, the desire for food as comfort and food as love. Food as PLEASURE. There have been too many days in my life where a doughnut has been the very best thing that happened to me all week. I really like very fattening foods. When I am hungry and I have to choose between an apple and a doughnut i always have to talk myself out of the doughnut. It is much harder to talk myself into choosing the apple over the mac n cheese. you know mac n cheese does have some redeeming qualities, and it is so delicious.

I have worked hard to choose a way of eating and exercise that i can do for the rest of my life. I need to enjoy my food. I don't eat fake diet food. I choose butter and full fat sour cream. I choose real cheese. I don't eat food i don't want to eat.

Lucky for me i really like veggies and fruits. I don't really bother with weighing or measuring them. I am careful with measuring everything else.

You have to find what works for you for the long term. I've lost weight on low carb diets, juice diets, fasting, vegan diets etc. I was not able to maintain on them as they don't suit my tastes and desires.
    I was most successful with weight loss on a balanced diet that used extreme amounts of exercise. It was great for a few years then I got injured and could not exercise. I loved feeling fit and strong and thin.

Now I am doing the same diet but not putting so much emphasis on exercise. I believe that it's mostly about diet. I am exercising everyday and sometimes with intensity, but I am not eating back those calories.

Lastly, if you have any kind of depression or anxiety issues deal with that. For the past 5 years i have not even tried to take care of myself. I was too lost in my depression. My situation in life finally improved but my depression did not lift. I was tired and I felt hopeless. I finally went to my doctor and asked for some help. The antidepressants started to work after a few weeks. I have energy and motivation again. I have a supportive living environment. I know how to be successful at weight loss. i just need to do it consistently.

brief recap:
    Keep it simple
    Don't fake it
    Keep a food diary- and keep it simple
    Be CONSISTENT with your plan
    Exercise everyday and don't use it as an excuse to eat more.
    Get help if you have depression or other emotional issues that drive your eating behaviors.

Wishing you all great success