Prerequisites for using free weights???

Options
I am 53 and overweight (64 lbs) and have gone to the gym fir three mknths niw. I have been using the weight machines and doing cardio three times per week. I never belonged to a gym before and havenever really used free weights before. My goals are to lose weight, tone my muscles/get stringer and develop more stamina. Are there prerequisitesmto being able to use the free weights? How do you knkw yiu can handle it!? I worked with a trainer fir five sessions i. The summer and we were working on flexibility and balance. He said my form(?) wasn't good due to biomechanical issues or something.(by the way, my profile picture is me when Imweighed around my goal weight, 20+ years ago!)

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You need to be a human male or female (of any age) =D

Seriously, anyone can use them - my mum is 57 and has just started.

Just make sure to start light till you have your form perfect. For correct form you can use a trainer, YouTube videos or books like 'starting strength'.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your concerns look they would be solved by using the Stronglifts 5x5 program. You will learn basic barbell movements and you start off with the bar on all lifts and progress from there. This is the safest way I can think of to start using freeweights on your own. The bar should give you a fairly solid load to learn the movements and build the confidence necessary to increase the weights that will be added to the bar as you progress.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    They usually like you to call them by their first name, and occasionally talk dirty to them. Other than that, they accept pretty much anyone. Go get them!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine going in there, and using them, but form is a huge part of free weight lifting, so I would ask the gym staff to show you how to do some exercises, or if you don't feel like you can trust them, and you have one of those guy or girls at the gym who is just friendly to everyone, ask him or her for advice, I feel like every gym has at least one of those that is extremely knowledgeable, mine is a for pro power lifter turned overall gym genius, and a fitness model who trains all the local competitors and they are always happy to help anybody with questions... just don't interrupt when they are training a paid client!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Oh, and search youtube, and practice at home!
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everone! I am going to meeti with the trainer and discuss it with him tomorrow.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Are there prerequisitesmto being able to use the free weights? How do you knkw yiu can handle it!?

You probably already use free weights in your daily life - hauling home groceries, lifting things up into closets, throwing out the trash, etc. Some trainers feel that clients who do those things aren't ready for freeweights in the gym, and that's a controversial topic. I think if you're able to lift things in your daily life, you're ready for freeweights and should learn proper lifting form & practice it - at least so you don't hurt yourself outside the gym. It's perfectly fine to add a few machines to correct muscle imbalances, but machines shouldn't be the entire program.
  • Weightlossdude53
    Options
    That's a great waynto,look at it!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Thanks everone! I am going to meeti with the trainer and discuss it with him tomorrow.

Excellent to discuss it with the trainer and have him evaluate your forms. Form is very important, especially in the Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Weightlossdude53
    Options
    Is StrongLift 5x5 approproate flr beginners to free weights?
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The prerequisites are: access to free weights, a pulse, and a willingness to use the weights. Try to keep your form perfect. Like anything else, it will take practice. Make a commitment to give it your best effort. It doesn't work if you don't work.