Options
AskTracyAnnK28
AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
Someone shared on here not long ago a recipe for pumpkin muffins:

1 box of spice cake mix
1 Can of Pumkpin
1 cup of water

bake for 20/25 minutes at 350.

Ok so I tried it and the muffins were ok but very dense, didn't rise very much and tasted like they needed some extra 'oomph'. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not much of a baker :blushing:

Replies

• mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I make something similar and everyone loves them.

1 box spice cake mix
    2 cups pumpkin puree

use mixer and beat until smooth makes 12 muffins, bake as cake mix directs and they bake up nice. Yes they are a little dense, more like a cake but you can put a little cream cheese frosting in the middle :)

I made my third batch last night and they raised up nicely and were delicious
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Maybe the pumpkin puree helps it rise a bit more?
    I had to bake mine for about 32 minutes. They came out ok and my niece loved them but I'd like to make them awesome next time :)
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about your recipe. Never used the cake mix to make them but I will share my favorite pumpkin muffin recipe. :)

Skinnytaste Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/skinny-mini-pumpkin-chocolate-chip.html
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    mine took 20 min max. I use cupcake liners as well. The water might change the texture, next time try the two cups of puree and see if it changes. So far everyone is saying my muffins are better than Tim Horton's pumpkin spice muffins and they don't know how easy it is to make them :) also these are much lower in calories compared to donut shop muffins which can be anywhere between 400 and 600 cals (ouch!)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    FYI I think a 15 oz can of pumpkin is about two cups.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My kids and I make this a lot. Just last week we made it in a bundt pan.

I like to use regular vanilla cake mix. Instead of water we added about a 1/2 cup of sour cream and a handful of chocolate chips. After a few stirs we added a cup splashes of milk. It turned out really good! HTH!
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    an egg or two will make them rise :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    these are much lower in calories compared to donut shop muffins which can be anywhere between 400 and 600 cals (ouch!)

Yup!!! My muffins were under 100 calories :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    an egg or two will make them rise :)

I was going to try to toss an egg in there lolol maybe next time!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

1 box of spice cake mix
    1 Can of Pumkpin
    1 cup of water

Ok so I tried it and the muffins were ok but very dense, didn't rise very much and tasted like they needed some extra 'oomph'. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not much of a baker :blushing:

I made them with water....and without water.

Adding water gives you a lighter texture. But I agree, these are kind of spongey to me. The egg idea....I like it (worth a try). Also, I make a pumpkin cake that calls for 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, so that's another idea.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

1 box of spice cake mix
    1 Can of Pumkpin
    1 cup of water

I made them with water....and without water.

Adding water gives you a lighter texture. But I agree, these are kind of spongey to me. The egg idea....I like it (worth a try). Also, I make a pumpkin cake that calls for 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, so that's another idea.

If I added an egg and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda I bet they'd be nice and fluffy - more like a pumpkin cupcake. Which sounds pretty good! And still calorie friendly!!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I make the same ones, but with much less water....made them over the weekend and threw in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.

1 box spice cake mix
    1 14.5 oz can pumpkin
    1/4 cup water or maybe even a little less. Honestly, I just put enough in the bottom of the can of pumpkin, swish it around and add it to the mix. The batter will be very thick. No eggs, no oil, nothing.

Baked at 350 for about 24 minutes or so.

Delish!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Odd, I made them twice last year with even less water (maybe 2 tablespoons) and they turned out great.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Odd, I made them twice last year with even less water (maybe 2 tablespoons) and they turned out great.

Maybe I suck at baking? :cry:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Maybe I suck at baking? :cry:

A couple more factors to consider.......cake mixes are smaller than they used to be (like 15%).....and the mix ingredients have changed (trying to get rid of the trans-fats).

I will try making these again this year.....but I'm going to try adding 2 egg whites + water to equal 1 cup total liquid. Egg whites make angel food cake light and fluffy....so my guess is that will make a difference.

The weird spongey texture of no water added is a turn off for me.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I did this with a box of brownie mix and it was awesome but they are supposed to be denser - I would think for cupcakes you need to add egg or something to make them lighter
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    To keep them light and not as dense make sure not to over stir. It releases the air out of the mixture and they will not be as fluffy. HTH!
  • bstoudt369
    bstoudt369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am so making Pumpkin Muffins! Yum!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use less water, you can also add more pumpkin pie spice, and i also add a few chopped walnuts to mine. Last time I made a glaze and chopped walnuts - delicious
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    To keep them light and not as dense make sure not to over stir. It releases the air out of the mixture and they will not be as fluffy. HTH!

Oh yes.